Author Topic: had to post this  (Read 3194 times)

noob

• Kudos: 74
Re: had to post this
« Reply #15 on: 16 October 2005, 12:06 »
drivers suck ass. linux has them, but atleast it works first time (in my experiance).
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #16 on: 16 October 2005, 14:15 »
In my experiance Windows and Linux can both have problems with drivers. Linux drivers are often semi-functional and  Windows drivers are often semi-stable that's just the way it is.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #17 on: 17 October 2005, 12:12 »
Saitek Cyborg 3D joystick: (real experience)
On a Mac: (mine) Plug it in and launch X-Plane. Enjoy your flight.

On Windows: (a friend's) Plug it in and launch X-Plane. Note that the joystick is not recognised. Put in the driver CD and be forced to listen to crappy music and watch some 1 minute flash demo about how good this software is. Watch the installer crash half way through the install. Restart and repeat. Try again and it works. Launch X-Plane and watch as the system BSODs. Restart and it BSODs again. Swap the joystick and the keyboard USB plugs. It works!? Fly for a few hours, but the joystick is slightly laggy. Unplug the keyboard and mouse, and it's fixed... but no keyboard/mouse.

Have someone cause another BSOD by tripping over the joystick cable, ripping it out of the sockey. Plug it back in and restart. Continue flying. Then unplug the joystick. Start up the machine later and it BSODed. Remove the drivers in safe mode. Then repeat this process next time you want to use the joystick. Oh, and apologise to the friend who'se computer you had to do this all on.
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #18 on: 17 October 2005, 18:17 »
microsoft are lame when it comes to stability. if a driver is written badly, let the driver crash, not the whole system.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

Narf Man

• Kudos: 10
    • http://www.novgrod.com
gurlax
« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2005, 18:28 »
Quote from: noob
microsoft are lame when it comes to stability. if a driver is written badly, let the driver crash, not the whole system.

Sorry man... that makes too much sense. "Logical" isn't in the M$ vocabulary.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 17 October 2005, 20:24 »
Quote from: noob

Duh bad Linux drivers can crash Linux to you know. Drivers run in ring 0 so a bad driver on any OS can bring down the entire system whether it be Linux Windows, BeOS or even BSD.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #21 on: 17 October 2005, 20:39 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Duh bad Linux drivers can crash Linux to you know. Drivers run in ring 0 so a bad driver on any OS can bring down the entire system whether it be Linux Windows, BeOS or even BSD.
Not on the Hurd :p

EDIT: and with userspace drivers (which are getting more popular on GNU/Linux and I think there's some out there for FreeBSD and friends too).
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2005, 21:01 »
How come the whole system crashed when my X driver fucked up then?

I suppose it does depend on the driver, I have a feeling that even Windows printer drivers run in user space as my system has never crashed due to a dodgy printer driver, it's just refused to print or printed garbled.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: 17 October 2005, 22:04 »
But your X driver wasn't in ring 0, was it? (I don't quite understand this ring stuff (I have an idea, but that's basically it))

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #24 on: 19 October 2005, 05:14 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
How come the whole system crashed when my X driver fucked up then?

I suppose it does depend on the driver, I have a feeling that even Windows printer drivers run in user space as my system has never crashed due to a dodgy printer driver, it's just refused to print or printed garbled.

The whole system could have fucked up if it was related to AGPGART. It depends what and how it fucked up, its not all black boxes. What was the actual error?

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #25 on: 19 October 2005, 06:28 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Not on the Hurd :p
I can see how a vaporware system can never crash. :-P
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #26 on: 19 October 2005, 06:52 »
Quote from: skyman8081
I can see how a vaporware system can never crash. :-P

Hurd DOES exist, although not in a truly released state.  They just have snapshots, or whatever those Hurd people do.  You can download it right now (although you can't do all that much with it without compiling software out the ass, and even then)...
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 19 October 2005, 11:11 »
Quote from: kintaro
The whole system could have fucked up if it was related to AGPGART. It depends what and how it fucked up, its not all black boxes. What was the actual error?

I had changed my monitor from a crappy old 1024x768 CRT to a 1200x1600 TFT, I though it would still work with the lower resolution (Windows did) but when I booted to Vector Linux X started up as usual then after a couple of seconds it just locked up, so I rebooted with Knoppix and edited some configuration file (can't remember which one) to  change the driver to a generic VESA, I rebooted it worked. I was going to change the driver to a better one more suited to my graphics card but I ended up installing Ubuntu in the end. I'm thinking about changing again but I don't know what to try, I'd like something fairly small, preferible nom more than one CD.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: 19 October 2005, 22:24 »
Quote from: WMD
You can download it right now (although you can't do all that much with it without compiling software out the ass, and even then)...
Well there's Debian GNU/Hurd and it should have everything you need (note: need) in the repositories.
I was using it alot a while back, but my (nvidia) network card doesn't work (only cards that work in linux 2.0 work, as gnumach took it's drivers from linux 2.0). They have some really really cool stuff going on.

There used to be a Gentoo GNU/Hurd distribution, but it didn't last long. Some Ubuntu guy wanted to release an Ubuntu GNU/Hurd distribution, but I doubt it'll happen. There's also talk of an official distribution release.

Checkout the livecd, after reading a bit, if yer interested.