Author Topic: OpenOffice 2.0 is out now!  (Read 5891 times)

Narf Man

• Kudos: 10
    • http://www.novgrod.com
Re: OpenOffice 2.0 is out now!
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2005, 12:25 »
I just updated to 2.0, and let me say:
It's freaking awesome.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2005, 03:40 »
I'm still on 1.1, can't be arsed to do the 150MB download again.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2005, 11:54 »
its only 90mg and its worth it.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #18 on: 24 October 2005, 12:34 »
It depends on the platform, and you always order a CD you know.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

cymon

« Reply #19 on: 24 October 2005, 21:05 »
I decided just to download it. 150MB for the Mac.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 24 October 2005, 22:05 »
LOL the Windows version is only 75MB  and you lot call Windows bloated. :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #21 on: 24 October 2005, 23:30 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
LOL the Windows version is only 75MB  and you lot call Windows bloated. :D
Damn right, because operating system bloat is directly proportional to the size of the OpenOffice.org packages for that OS.

My guess is that they don't use the same compression techniques.

PS: Windows is bloated.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 24 October 2005, 23:41 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Damn right, because operating system bloat is directly proportional to the size of the OpenOffice.org packages for that OS.

My guess is that they don't use the same compression techniques.

PS: Windows is bloated.

Well the Windows package is smaller than the Mac OS one so by your logic this means that Mac OS is more bloated than Windows.

However you could (if you want to) argue that Windows is superiour as Windows OpenOffice is smaller as Windows has a more comprehensive API so the developers don't have to write as much code.

But I do admit this is complete bullshit, the size of a piece of software bares no relation to whether the OS it's designed for is bloated of not.

Lastly I was joking in the first place as the :D  smilie should indicate. :rolleyes:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #23 on: 25 October 2005, 00:07 »
I knew you didn't really believe that Mac OS X is more bloated than Windows (yea, right), and I was being sarcastic in my first sentence.
But I do admit this is complete bullshit, the size of a piece of software bares no relation to whether the OS it's designed for is bloated of not.
Exactly.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 25 October 2005, 00:50 »
Reading it again I was the fool here it was obvious you were being sarcastic.

One  :rolleyes: for me! :(

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2005, 22:02 »
Coding is not the issue here, rather, it's the fact that Windows binary files, are, for some reason, much smaller than those for other OSs.  Although, the difference isn't usually as much as this.  It could be that 2.0 for Mac is still X11 native and OS X is missing a lot of that sort of stuff.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

cymon

« Reply #26 on: 29 October 2005, 23:00 »
OpenOffice for OSX is still X11 native.

JanusChrist

• Kudos: 15
« Reply #27 on: 2 November 2005, 21:01 »
When 1.1.3 came out, I gave it a try and almost immediately went back to using Office XP. Since using 2.0, I have no plans of going back to MS Office again. If you're looking a free alternative to MS Office, OO.org 2.0 is definetly the way to go.
On your way out of Microsoft Land feel free to smash a few Windows.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 2 November 2005, 21:25 »
I've used it since 1.1.2 because my PC came with the shitware commonly known as MS Works and my old Office 97 CD is broken and I certainly wasn't going to buy the latest version. In my oppinion OO 1.1.5 wasn't as good as MS Office but 2.0 is at least equal to MS Office 2000 (I haven't used any newer version) even though it does lack in some ways as does MS Office.

What did you dislike about OO 1.1.3?

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #29 on: 3 November 2005, 00:10 »
I liked 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 better than 2.0 . Why ?

Cuz 2.0 crashes too often, 1.1.5 never crashed on my system, but I still use 2.0, there's no point in going backwards.