Author Topic: Distro help. Please?  (Read 4760 times)

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
Re: Distro help. Please?
« Reply #45 on: 29 October 2005, 18:17 »
When I thought up that I wasn't thinking of any particular examples, but i'll try.
MS licences their software so that you have to pay for liceneces, subscripitons etc. Also you can't copy it.
From what I know of the fs-driver.org software it simply cannot be altered. Seeing as it's free it's knida pointless from my point of veiw.
I know these are bad examples but as I said I wasn't thinking of any particular examples when I wrote that. The main reason I chose MS was because it's just such a wonderful company.
Also can someone please post a link to the GPL?
EDIT: Don't bother, I just googled it.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #46 on: 29 October 2005, 18:25 »
When I thought up that I wasn't thinking of any particular examples, but i'll try.
MS licences their software so that you have to pay for liceneces, subscripitons etc. Also you can't copy it.
Yea well alot of non-free software have the same restrictions.
From what I know of the fs-driver.org software it simply cannot be altered. Seeing as it's free it's knida pointless from my point of veiw.
I agree (if I'm interpretting that correctly) - a pointless restriction.
Quote from: me
Stupid, unnecessary (I can only assume) restrictions if you ask me.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #47 on: 29 October 2005, 18:42 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I don't care about this debate any more there are more important things to discuss, sure I could go through and refute eveything in your post but I don't see what it'd achieve as you and I haven't raised any new issues. I did think about deleting my previous post but I thaught, fuck it I've posted it and you'd probably written a response so I thought it would've been rude to have deleted it.

I think we should both just calm down and walk away from this one as the debate as ceased being productive.
I just hope you know where I'm coming from.

You don't needa be a programmer to support free software exclusively. Non-free developers put effort into restricting their users. I don't want to support them. There is a movement for free software, which enables me not to support them. I'll support that movement as much as I can.

IMO keeping source code to yourself is selfish and therefore evil. So might be not giving enough of your money to charity (IMO more rich people should give more money to charity. Some poor people that can't afford it should be excused. Comfortably OK people should share a bit.), but there is no huge-movement to rid the world of this selfishness and evil, and I'm not gonna start one (at least no time soon :)). If there was, I'd support it as much as I can, too.
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Short of forcing all software to be open source what do you think could be done to improve things?
IMO the only way would be if more users supported free software. It's the only way free software will ever get ahead IMO.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Dark_Me

« Reply #48 on: 29 October 2005, 18:50 »
Yea well alot of non-free software have the same restrictions.

My point was that they can be used in ways which benifit only the company. That really wasn't a very well thought out example.
Have you read the other flame wars about free/non-free software before?

How about anti-MS articles on this site and others, have you read them too?

Short of forcing all software to be open source what do you think could be done to improve things?

I don't think I have.
I've defanatly read the ones on this site (if your talking 'bout front page) and am in the process of reading another rather lengthy one. I'd like to read some more. Makes a good basis for an argument.
As for improving things this goes deeper that software. The current buissness attitude is not "How will this benifit people?", it's "Who cares about anything other than myself? How can I make the most money from this?". Now while I realise that this is not true of all people it's still their in one form or another with anything thats paid for. This is the problem with the prevaling market, capitalism, it's based on personal greed and gain. Now this would not be such a problem if their where checks in place to prevnt this getting out of hand but there aren't. See my sig for more information. I hope I understood you corectly.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #49 on: 29 October 2005, 20:22 »
Alright I'm back in, but first I must apologize for this post it was written under the influance of alcohol but I wasn't that drunk so it's no excuse.

Quote from: piratePenguin
I just hope you know where I'm coming from.

Don't wory, I've understood your arugument all along.

You don't need a be a programmer to support free software exclusively.

Of course I understand this argument, but open source software benifits programmers more than anyone else. Having said that there are also disadvantages for the programmer too, for example if they can't to sell their code purly to one body. I'm no programmer so I'd rather pay some money for some software that does what I want it to rather than having to improve some existing software.

Non-free developers put effort into restricting their users.

I depends on the restrictions they impose on me, if in this case they just want me to distribut their software as is without modification than that's fine by me.

I don't want to support them. There is a movement for free software, which enables me not to support them. I'll support that movement as much as I can.

It's your right to do that but don't count on my support or the support of most people for that matter.

I don't believe that free software is the only way of doing things. I don't think that open source is the best way to produce novel and creative software. Financial gain is a very big incentive for companies to create good software, and allowing them to keep their trade secrets provides them with a very large motive to innovate because their innovation will benifit them not their competitors thus putting them further ahead. Off course the open source community can make good software too and companies will contribute to it, for example they might add a feature/bug fix to some software they use but I can't see them all giving donating their best code to the public domain.

IMO keeping source code to yourself is selfish and therefore evil. So might be not giving enough of your money to charity (IMO more rich people should give more money to charity.

I say again, money can do more to improve the quality of human life than software ever can.

Some poor people that can't afford it should be excused.

Some companies can't afford to donate their code (we can't), I know they might still be able to scrape togeather some money from services but thir ability to do this depends on the sort of software they release and their bussines model some are more open source friendly than others.

Comfortably OK people should share a bit.), but there is no huge-movement to rid the world of this selfishness and evil, and I'm not gonna start one (at least no time soon :)). If there was, I'd support it as much as I can, too.

Of course there is.

IMO the only way would be if more users supported free software.

There's a big differance between supporting free software and only supporting free software though.

It's the only way free software will ever get ahead IMO.

Which from one side of the fence migh seem like a good thing but I'm not convinced either way as I don't believe that the standard of software on the whole would improve.

Edit: I really should read all of the replies before I post:

Quote from: Dark_Me
My point was that they can be used in ways which benifit only the company. That really wasn't a very well thought out example.

I don't think I have.
I've defanatly read the ones on this site (if your talking 'bout front page) and am in the process of reading another rather lengthy one. I'd like to read some more. Makes a good basis for an argument.

Please take into account that our front page was written a while ago.

As for improving things this goes deeper that software.

Of course it does software is quite an insignificant thing in the scheme of things.

The current buissness attitude is not "How will this benifit people?", it's "Who cares about anything other than myself? How can I make the most money from this?".

In some cases in a weird way this is good as you'd assume that people will choose their products if they are better so they'll get richer but MS has proved this worng.

Now while I realise that this is not true of all people it's still their in one form or another with anything thats paid for. This is the problem with the prevaling market, capitalism, it's based on personal greed and gain.

Until now capitalism works to some degree, we've tried communism and it didn't work so I don't know what else is left.

Now this would not be such a problem if their where checks in place to prevnt this getting out of hand but there aren't. See my sig for more information. I hope I understood you corectly.

The problem is that people can be bribed so I don't know if this'll work.

To remove capitalism we need to get rid of money, but what would that lead to? Communism? We surly don't want the latter do we?

The open source is more communist than capitalist which is a big reason why I don't support it exclusively.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #50 on: 30 October 2005, 02:54 »
Getting back to the prior point of this thread:
Dark_Me, have you been burning from an image to the CD-R drive, or simply mounting the ISO (with D-Tools, or Alcohol, or some other similar program) and burning the files directly across as a data disc?  The latter fails to include a number of alterations the CD needs to be considered "bootable."

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Dark_Me

« Reply #51 on: 30 October 2005, 04:18 »
I havn't been getting CD images. Both Ubuntu and Damn Small Linux are just a bunch of files. After that is I unpack them from their WinRAR arcive. Mabey this is my problem? Are you just suppost to burn the archive?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

Dark_Me

« Reply #52 on: 30 October 2005, 04:37 »
To remove capitalism we need to get rid of money, but what would that lead to? Communism? We surly don't want the latter do we?
Their is a difference between Red Communism and Purist Communism.
The reason communism never worked is because 1) Ether it was only a sham to set up a dictatorship. 2) or they didn't implement it coreclty.
Now the thing about communism is that ALL and I mean all "communist" countrys are not true to the ideals of communism. The first givaway is that they have a government. Open source hardware
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #53 on: 30 October 2005, 05:08 »
I havn't been getting CD images. Both Ubuntu and Damn Small Linux are just a bunch of files. After that is I unpack them from their WinRAR arcive. Mabey this is my problem? Are you just suppost to burn the archive?

That sounds like the problem. The cd is being formatted as whatever format windows uses. To make a disc bootable, and not just a coaster, you have to use a .iso image. Anything else won't work. Then, you must burn the image to cd. Mounting it and copying the files won't work, neither will just putting the .iso file onto the cd, I think NERO has an option to make discs from an image, but I use a mac so I'm not sure.

Dark_Me

« Reply #54 on: 30 October 2005, 05:58 »
Yeah it does, the problem is that their not images.
Oops looks like they are. At least Damn Small Linux is. Now to see if it works.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

Dark_Me

« Reply #55 on: 30 October 2005, 06:04 »
EDIT: Double post.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

Dark_Me

« Reply #56 on: 30 October 2005, 06:26 »
I am now posting from Damn Small Linux.  Yay!  Damn this print is small. Seems the problem was that  I wasn't burning them as ISO's .  I got the Ubuntu installer workng  but got stuck at paritions. Can someone please guide me through?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: 30 October 2005, 11:19 »
I can't remember how I did this now, what partitions on what hard drives do you currently have?

I had to resize by Windows ntfs drive to make way for a an ext3, swap and FAT32 partition to share work between Linux and Windows (although you might not want to bother with the latter since you can use some software to read ext under Windows and Linux can read ntfs - FAT32 sucks).  To do this I had to defragment the existing ntfs drive, this best way to do this is in Windows, right click on the appropiet drive and click properties, select the tools tab, click on defragment, select the volume and defragment it whether Windows says it needs it or not, this might take several hours. Now you need to set up the partitions, I can't remember how in Ubuntu because I used Knoppix which has a very user friendly (I mean Windows easy) tool called Qparted.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Dark_Me

« Reply #58 on: 30 October 2005, 11:43 »
I think that I just have one single partiontion for each drive. I'm defragging all my drives right now. How do you parition in Windows?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: 30 October 2005, 13:51 »
You can partition unsed space that doesn't have any file system allocated to it just using Windows but as far as I'm aware you can't resize your current partitons, not without using some expensive 3rd party program anyway. Your best bet is to use a Linux program to do that, I personally recommend Qparted but that's because it's the only utility I have experiance with, perhapps someone else here can answer this one better than I can.