Author Topic: cost of windows server 2003 and sql server 2003  (Read 1826 times)

Commander

• Kudos: 52
cost of windows server 2003 and sql server 2003
« on: 3 November 2005, 02:48 »
i looked everywhere but couldnt find a deceent assurance on the price of running the two servers for a year.  I was told by someone where i worked a couple summers ago that sql server took about 6000 $ to run/ year.  But i'm  not confident on that #.
It would really be helpful to have these figures for a speech i'm working on.  Any amount that ballparks the correct amounts you be really helpful.
thanks.
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: cost of windows server 2003 and sql server 2003
« Reply #1 on: 3 November 2005, 05:36 »
One might ask why you are asking this question on a Micro$uck forum, but I don't want to think about it.

Fine here's your answer: The TCO three year total cost of ownership per 100 users for Window$ 2003 server is .... $98,221 ... recalculating for 1 yr this means $32740.33 per year per 100 users ... more recalculating $327.40 per user per year (surely an underestimate ?) ... does that make any sense to anyone ? It makes no sense to me.

Bullshit paper from dell including all the statistics and meaningless shit like that:
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/Dell_Windows_White_Paper_OS_Comparisons.pdf

If that doesn't cut it, just google it, or use $6000, it's a large number, and probably accurate.

Commander

« Reply #2 on: 3 November 2005, 17:22 »
i'm trying to confince people to use opensource :D

it's 6000 for sql i think... but what about server 2003 itself?

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #3 on: 5 November 2005, 08:35 »
Make sure an factor in the salaries of the extra two staff members you'll need to make those open source apps do what the Microsoft apps do out of the box.

;)
:)

toadlife

« Reply #4 on: 5 November 2005, 08:41 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
If that doesn't cut it, just google it, or use $6000, it's a large number, and probably accurate.

Yeah, That's the best way to convince people...just make shit up to support your argument. That allways works.

BTW Commander, There is no such thing as "SQL Server 2003".

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #5 on: 5 November 2005, 09:06 »
Quote from: toadlife
Make sure an factor in the salaries of the extra two staff members you'll need to make those open source apps do what the Microsoft apps do out of the box.

;)
I'm sure they'd need an administrator either way.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Commander

« Reply #6 on: 5 November 2005, 09:58 »
the speech is really short.. i used 6000$ as the cost and gave opencds to everyone to try out some of the OSS.  i think it convinced most of the people.  THere was just one guy that had a disagree vote, 2 neutral and the other 18 were agreed (none strongly agree though, there's only so much you can say in 6 minutes)

and i couldnt really say the extra cost because i didnt want to weaken my point as i wouldnt have had time to state the contrary.

PS. good hint about SQL server 2003 :D  i was wondering what the hell  was wrong.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 5 November 2005, 10:08 »
Quote from: Commander
the speech is really short.. i used 6000$ as the cost and gave opencds to everyone to try out some of the OSS.  i think it convinced most of the people.  THere was just one guy that had a disagree vote, 2 neutral and the other 18 were agreed (none strongly agree though, there's only so much you can say in 6 minutes)
Cool, good work!

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #8 on: 5 November 2005, 20:33 »
Yeah, That's the best way to convince people...just make shit up to support your argument. That allways works.

BTW Commander, There is no such thing as "SQL Server 2003".

I always make shit up ... or I use data in an obscure way, for example I'll do all sorts of calculations and assumptions to arrive at the answer I want, I work backwards from the answer I wanna get :D :) :thumbup: my teachers never complain they don't know jack shit anyway

Commander

« Reply #9 on: 5 November 2005, 21:40 »
hahaha.
i couldnt really do that because there was an engineer and a cs kid in my class and it would've been preety embarrasing to get caught :D.  probably would've defeted the entire purpose of my speech :(

but i'm glad it's over now... that was a bad day.  i had an interview a few hours before my speech.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #10 on: 6 November 2005, 17:22 »
Good to know that the only reason schools exist these days is to train kids for "business", regardless of their interest.
Go the fuck ~

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 6 November 2005, 17:38 »
Quote from: hm_murdock
Good to know that the only reason schools exist these days is to train kids for "business", regardless of their interest.
Now that's a lie!

We learn Shakespeare too (just not how to spell it). Lots of jobs going in Shakespeare, especially these days.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #12 on: 6 November 2005, 20:06 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Now that's a lie!

We learn Shakespeare too (just not how to spell it). Lots of jobs going in Shakespeare, especially these days.

Yes they do, they made me memorize this: (I'm not getting this off the net, so if it's way wrong then it's my horrible memory)

"Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
creeps in this petty pace from day to day to the last syllable of recorded time,
and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death,
life's but a walking shadow a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more,
it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing !"

How did I do ? I think I may have missed a phrase or two ... oh well, it was all from memory I swear (from Macbeth, it's a really nice speech) ... I missed "Out, out, brief candle!", well fuck ;)

toadlife

« Reply #13 on: 7 November 2005, 05:34 »
Quote from: Commander
the speech is really short.. i used 6000$ as the cost and gave opencds to everyone to try out some of the OSS. i think it convinced most of the people. THere was just one guy that had a disagree vote, 2 neutral and the other 18 were agreed (none strongly agree though, there's only so much you can say in 6 minutes)

and i couldnt really say the extra cost because i didnt want to weaken my point as i wouldnt have had time to state the contrary.

PS. good hint about SQL server 2003 :D  i was wondering what the hell  was wrong.

So, in short, you blew a bunch of hot air up the audience's asses.

Did you include in your speech that there is no open source equivalent to MS SQL 2000 or Microsoft's Active Directory and that emulating the feature set of both the above products using open source products would take atr the very least, twice the I.T. staffing?

What exactly were these fictitious companies doing with Windows Server 2003 and MS SQL 2000, and How many computers (servers, sql servers, workstations) are involved?

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #14 on: 7 November 2005, 06:42 »
So, in short, you blew a bunch of hot air up the audience's asses.

Did you include in your speech that there is no open source equivalent to MS SQL 2000 or Microsoft's Active Directory and that emulating the feature set of both the above products using open source products would take atr the very least, twice the I.T. staffing?

What exactly were these fictitious companies doing with Windows Server 2003 and MS SQL 2000, and How many computers (servers, sql servers, workstations) are involved?

Who cares about the fucking audience ... they're all half asleep anyway, and if they were awake they would give a fuck either, presentation are just a game of tossing bullshit back and forth, and we all end up covered in it in the end :D