Author Topic: McAfee Does Not Scan  (Read 1173 times)

JusLearnin

• Kudos: 0
McAfee Does Not Scan
« on: 5 January 2002, 19:04 »
Can anybody tell me why, when my system is booting up and McAfee scans my boot file, it displays 90+ files, 11 scanned, 79 not scanned?

Is there something on my system I am not aware of?

I ask this because I recently went to DSL running Win98, and stupidly did not install a firewall. My system began running very slow, Win98 would not shut down, weird happenings. So I downloaded a firewall and found I was getting 500+ port scans a day. Now I log off when I am not using the system for fear that I am still exposed in some way.

I also run AdAware, which seems to clean my system of the little ad programs that get dropped in my system when I surf the net.

Anybody know how I can search my registry for suspicious executable programs, or is my McAfee good enough to keep me safe.

Thanks

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: JusLearnin ]

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: JusLearnin ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
McAfee Does Not Scan
« Reply #1 on: 6 January 2002, 01:07 »
You'll never be safe on a Win machine unless you unhook your DSL cable and remove the floppy/CDROM drives.  You should regularly update your Virus software (at *least* weekly if not daily). That still will not prevent you from being hit from a brand new virus that the virus companies do not know about.  The email viru spread quickly and if you use the preview pane in OE and have active scripting turned on, you're screwed. It's a shame you can't use all of the "features" and still be safe.  It's definately a good idea to run a firewall, however that too can be useless if you get a virus through mail.

Fortunately I do not have to worry about any of these problems as I run Linux, which is not susceptible to viru and comes with firewall software.  I can use the preview  in my mail program and not worry.

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...