Author Topic: New worm targets Linux systems.  (Read 1782 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
New worm targets Linux systems.
« on: 10 November 2005, 12:48 »
http://news.com.com/New+worm+targets+Linux+systems/2100-7349_3-5938475.html

This looks pretty serious, what do the Linux fans here think about this?

Should I worry when connecting my Linux set up to the Internet?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: New worm targets Linux systems.
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2005, 17:26 »
It only affects an open webserver running this:
the XML-RPC for PHP Remote Code Injection vulnerability; AWStats Rawlog Plugin Logfile Parameter Input Validation vulnerability; and Darryl Burgdorf's Webhints Remote Command Execution Vulnerability

I believe AWStats comes installed with the Ensim control panel, so if you're running a webhost that serves its clients with logs from AWStats, update the damn thang.
Otherwise, you'll be fine ;)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2005, 20:44 »
It sounds like such a specific worm that there's no reason for the general home users to be afraid.  While an MS bug can affect almost anyone running Windows.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2005, 01:18 »
Not only are there patches for it since long, but it only affects you if you run a very specific web server as Refalm mentions :) ... no real need to worry

Oh, and if you are paranoid like me, then close UDP port 7222

The worm sends a notification message to an attacker at a remote IP address, through UDP port 7222.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2005, 09:42 »
Thanks for reassuring me, I'vq realised now that there was no need for me to panic, it's just hard not to when you see the word Linux in the same sentence as the word worm.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2005, 01:47 »
There is this one virus I heard of. It's supposed to be real dangerous for Linux. What was it ... ah! Wind-"a's" or Wind-"e's" or something of the sort.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2005, 03:10 »
Saw a few attempts to exploit that in my logs. w00t for Mac OS X server that doesn't even have any of those apps :P
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2005, 08:52 »
So your saying we should all swich to Macs and become apple fanboys? Dammit man where not made of money!
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2005, 11:03 »
Hosting a web server is one of the riskiest things you can do so you should be keeping an eye on security concerns and software updates anyway.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2005, 12:28 »
I was actually joking Dark_Me.

And anyway, it's a big myth that Macs are too expensive. You won't find a computer anywhere near as good as a Mac Mini for the same price from any other manufacturer (that actually works, so that rules out Dell)...
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

Dark_Me

« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2005, 12:36 »
I was joking too. Yeah I know about Mac Mini's. *checks specs* Nice. Only problem is that in Australia they start at $799. That and you have to buy everything to go with them (screen, keyboard, mouse etc). I would be a Mac fanatic if I had the money.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2005, 22:11 »
Quote from: Dark_Me
Yeah I know about Mac Mini's. *checks specs* Nice. Only problem is that in Australia they start at $799.

Gotta contact one of your friends in the US, and have them purchase one for you as proxy - save yourself $300, which is a hell of a lot more than the shipping costs.

Of course, due to Apple licensing, that would be totally illegal.  So you didn't hear this idea from me...

Also, the new iMac G5s come totally complete at extraordinarily reasonable prices.

And hell, you can always install worm-vulnerable Linux programs on your Apple! :D

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2005, 23:03 »
Is that $799 USD or $799 AUD?

$799.99 AUD currently ends up at $586.50 USD.  Not including shipping costs.  You may well up eating those savings with taxes, and shipping costs.

Protectionism's a bitch, aint it?
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2005, 05:19 »
If your system is upto date you will be fine.

Dark_Me

« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2005, 05:22 »
Opps. it's in AUD. Don't know anyone in the US anyway. Well 'cept for you guys. Anyone feel like buying a Mac?...
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro