Author Topic: Problems with usb hard drive  (Read 1605 times)

hnugz

• Kudos: 0
Problems with usb hard drive
« on: 12 November 2005, 20:11 »
I've got Knoppix installed and I'm trying to access my external usb hard drive.  I was able to mount the drive and access the files, however I am unable to delete any of them.  I get the permission denied error.  This happens even in root.  I've done lots of google searching on this and I've seen places where they say you need to add certain permissions in order to do this but I haven't found any instructions that work.  How can I make it so I can delete files from the drive?  Thanks.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
Re: Problems with usb hard drive
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2005, 20:13 »
chmod +r+w+x?

I think that's the command, sounds like a permissions problem. Look at the man page for chmod, not sure if that's the exact syntax.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2005, 20:16 »
What filesystem is on the drive?
Once it's mounted, running 'mount' (with no options) should tell you.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

hnugz

« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2005, 21:31 »
yeah i tried chmod but it wouldn't let me.  It says chmod: changing permissions of 'SNES'': Read-only file system.  I do a ls -l but it still says dr-x------.  The drive is an ntfs drive.  Thanks.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2005, 21:36 »
Quote from: hnugz
yeah i tried chmod but it wouldn't let me.  It says chmod: changing permissions of 'SNES'': Read-only file system.  I do a ls -l but it still says dr-x------.  The drive is an ntfs drive.  Thanks.
Linux doesn't have write support for NTFS (well not proper write anyhow). You can write to it using the Windows driver (if you have Windows installed) and some program (can't remember the name). I'd suggest you convert the filesystem on the drive to fat32 (which basically all operating systems can read from and write to).

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2005, 22:35 »
he Captive Project is its name and yes unfortunately you do need Windows, or at least NT's ntfs driver file (I think it's called ntfs.sys), I don't know if you need any other files, if you want you could send me a PM I'll send a you a copy.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2005, 22:49 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
if you want you could send me a PM I'll send a you a copy.
Excuse me, are you sure that's legal (I don't know myself but I'd bet that it isn't)?

Microsoft created ntfs.sys and friends, and should therefore be allowd to decide the faith of that work (i.e. dictate how it can be used).
hnugz just might have to buy a licence from Microsoft.

Ain't that right, Aloone_Jonez?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2005, 23:12 »
Face, bovered? :D

Who cares warez is often the only reasonable way, how many people here (who drive) stick to the speed limit exactly? I bet you parents don't do they piratePenguin?

Your choice of name does suggest you pirate software, even though I know you don't because you only use free software but that's how it probably looks to people who don't know you. :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

hnugz

« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2005, 23:57 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Linux doesn't have write support for NTFS (well not proper write anyhow).

Well that answers that.  OK I wasn't aware that was the case.  It's not a big deal, I just wanted to use some scripts to delete files easier.

And thanks Aloone, I'll take a look at this captive project of which you speak.

Jack2000

« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2005, 00:31 »
why do not hook the HD in the system
why use usb??

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2005, 00:32 »
Quote from: Jack2000
why do not hook the HD in the system
why use usb??

My first guess would be something along the lines of "solid-state external drive."
Just a thought.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2005, 00:37 »
Who cares
Actually I would've thought that you care. Given that you're on the whole "divine right of authors" boat.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2005, 01:09 »
It depends on whether I have any respect for the author in question and as I don't have any respect for Microsoft I don't give a fuck.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2005, 02:13 »
Who cares warez is often the only reasonable way, how many people here (who drive) stick to the speed limit exactly?

I stick to within 20 mph of the limit ... so I have time to brake if I see a cop :D

Only time I ever go the limit is if there's a cop nearby, or I'm carrying a Chrismas tree. Besides, I got a radar/laser 360 degree detector and jammer (with slave units on the front and back) ... yeah it's legal in most states :thumbup:

You can get dlls off the net, legally, I think ... besides file sharing is still legal right ?

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.