Author Topic: Kill Bill's Browser  (Read 7675 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Kill Bill's Browser
« Reply #60 on: 12 March 2006, 05:07 »
Go make your own Opera-based desktop enviornment, then. :p

(I'm actually seriously thinking about a mozilla-based DE (NOTE: I'm not thinking about MAKING it atall at this time.). That framework stuff, is fucking excellent)
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #61 on: 12 March 2006, 05:27 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Sorry I couldn't help this one.

Unlike IE and FireFox, Opera actually has a propper zoom feature that not only makes the text bigger, all the other graphics are resized too, and yes the handy Control "+" and Control "-" keyboard shortcuts works too.
Just found the bugzilla entry for this on the Mozilla wishlist FAQ. Here it is.
full page zoom requires cairo to be switched on, so it won't be out (if at all)
before Firefox 3.0.
Shizer.

In 2001 they almost had it in (there's a patch for it). If someone was motivated they could write the code but only enable it when FF is compiled with cairo support (FF didn't use cairo in 2001, BTW).

EDIT: download manager bugzilla: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18004
« Last Edit: 12 March 2006, 05:34 by piratePenguin »

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #62 on: 12 March 2006, 21:37 »
Godd, I'm glad to see Firefox is catching up.

How about the download manager?
Does it still loose your download when the connection goes down for a couple of seconds or you have a power failure?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #63 on: 12 March 2006, 23:08 »
How about the download manager?
Does it still loose your download when the connection goes down for a couple of seconds or you have a power failure?
Not sure about that, don't think it's changed. Unless it allows you to resume the download...

I'm using Firefox HEAD ATM. Firefox 2 is scheduled for the last quarter of this year. An alpha 1 release isn't too far away. I just thought I'd see what's been done sofar - so I packaged 1.5 up so I could reinstall it later, moved my ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla-1.5 and checked out and compiled FF from CVS HEAD (I had to disable SVG support because of a compilation error).

I'm suprised at how stable it is. Hasn't crashed once. Performance seems about the same. Only problem is on vBulletin if I'm using the enhanced interface for posting posts I can't use the keyboard to navigate through the text (I prefer the basic editor anyhow, just to lazy to switch to it on forums I don't use much). Bugs like that are to be expected at this stage, though.

Tabs are like in Safari with a close button on each tab. If you've too many tabs open the close button only shows up for the current tab. Two times sofar I've accidently closed the rightmost tab instead of the current one. screenshot

Also, when you close a tab, instead of bringing you to the tab just to left of the old one, it brings you to the tab you were viewing before you switched to it (UPDATE: Nope, it's buggy. Doesn't work like it should all the time..). Now, if it would place new tabs just to the right of the current one...

Smooth scrolling is working. Not sure if it was in 1.5. There's a pretty cool cookie manager and (security) certificate manager that I never noticed before (I should've taken a good look at all the stuff in 1.5 before overwriting it).

Places has some stuff going on with the Bookmarks and the new History menus. You can search them from the same "Places" window.

I had planned on going back to 1.5 because I didn't expect this to be near as stable as it is. I'm gonna stick with this unless it starts fucking up badly.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: 12 March 2006, 23:39 »
The tabs work in exactly the same way in Opera and always have done as far as I can remember I don't know it could be Opera's innovation.

I'm not keen on the default font it uses in the editor on your screenshot, I've found the same on Linux too, is it a Linux thing? Can you change it?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #65 on: 12 March 2006, 23:50 »
It's a Linux thing. Firefox on my box has a different font. Probably all you'd need to do is change  the defualt font of GNOME (or KDE).
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #66 on: 13 March 2006, 00:14 »
The tabs work in exactly the same way in Opera and always have done as far as I can remember I don't know it could be Opera's innovation.
I'm not too fond of the way they work now TBH, but I don't mind using it. I just don't see what was wrong with one close button for the current tab... I can see 6 close buttons for tabs right now, why do I need 6 close buttons?! (if I wanna close, say, 4 of them, it'd be faster than right clicking and clicking "close tab", but I don't think that's worth the effort by the dev's... Plus, I would've thought one button would be more usable. And in e.g. the GIMP, do they have a delete button for every layer? No, you select the layer, then you click the delete button.... /me will have to search for a bugzilla entry on this tab decision..)
I'm not keen on the default font it uses in the editor on your screenshot, I've found the same on Linux too, is it a Linux thing? Can you change it?
http://illhostit.com/files/4948811754126222/textarea-font.png
It uses a monospaced font there, so it must be the website chosing the font...

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: 13 March 2006, 19:00 »
I don't know, all I know is the text is far easier to when Firefox is run under Windows than Linux.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #68 on: 13 March 2006, 21:18 »
I don't know, all I know is the text is far easier to when Firefox is run under Windows than Linux.
Must be to do with the available fonts.

Cool thing about Firefox is that it's basically a very fucking big website - written in XUL and using Javascript. Gecko renders it all. That's such a brilliant idea IMO. Kinda like when programs were just holes in cards, and then someone had the idea to store them in memory instead - because they're data.

I fixed my first Mozilla bug last night!
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=262800 (I would be Declan Naughton there)
In FF 1.5 if you go to Help > About, and then wait about 5 seconds before clicking the credits button, you would see the credits had already started crawling but are quickly reset again. On the CVS version I'm using, they aren't even reset, so you'd miss the beginning of them (probably due to changes in the gecko end of things).

So anyhow, it looked like an easy thing to fix. Whenever you go to Help > About, you're looking at chrome://browser/content/aboutDialog.xul (load it up in FF if you like). There's Javascript hooked into that page, chrome://browser/content/aboutDialog.js. It sets chrome://browser/content/credits.xhtml (the credits page) to be loaded in an iframe when the credits button is clicked. However, chrome://browser/content/credits.xhtml will always be running from the beginning because it's in the XUL. This (very simple) patch fixes that.

/me does a breakdance

lovefist233

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #69 on: 15 March 2006, 00:39 »
i think firefox is shite, and IE does its job, best built in pop up blocker ive seen so far
The Mac, electronic equivalent of a kid with downs syndrome who also happens to be blind deaf and dumb

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: 15 March 2006, 00:42 »
How about Opera?

Which version of IE are you talking about, the latest beta 7 or 6.whatever it is ATM?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #71 on: 15 March 2006, 09:20 »
Quote from: lovefist233
i think firefox is shite, and IE does its job, best built in pop up blocker ive seen so far

Try this one ;):
http://www.popuptest.com/

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #72 on: 15 March 2006, 10:32 »
2 popups with the latest version of Firefox.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

pandronic

• Kudos: 115
« Reply #73 on: 15 March 2006, 10:52 »
The first thing a browser should do is display webpages. Until Opera 8.x I had struggled to make my webpages Opera friendly and finally I gave up. Opera 8.x seems to have an improved rendering engine, that takes into account many common quirks, but not as many as Firefox. We still live in an IE dominated world, so displaying webpages as similar as possible with IE is a must for any browser IMO.

I think Opera should rethink its priorities - instead of bragging with some incomplete SVG support that no one even uses they should focus on bringing their rendering engine on par with Gecko - after all a browser is all about displaying webpages.

On the XUL front ... it's nice from a technological point of view, but I think that native GUIs are much better - because of performance and seamless integration into the host OS. For example, Firefox menus look quite ugly on Win 2k and Win XP with classic theme. You have to install an extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1208&application=firefox) to make them look in place.

Still, Firefox's user interface is much more polished than Opera's, which might seem overwhelming for the average user. Another thing I dislike about Opera is the way the tabs look - they are more like buttons than tabs, and I'm also pissed by the fact that I can't figure how to put the tabs toolbar below the address bar like in Firefox.

Bottom line:
Firefox:
+ BETTER RENDERING AND JS SUPPORT (but Opera 9 shows promise)
+ more intuitive interface
+ all the features that an Opera user wouldn't even dare to think about via extensions

Opera
+ Faster and more lightweight
+ A few interesting, but seldom used features (zoom, style)
+ Better download manager
+ Built-in mail client

I think it's up to every user to make a choice depending on his/her needs.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #74 on: 15 March 2006, 13:43 »
I like Opera, because it provides real tabbed browsing, something that Firefox and Internet Explorer can't do.

I like saving sessions on Opera, making the horizontal scrollbar disappear, being able to use keyboard or mouse only to browse, customizing the UI better than Firefox or Internet Explorer can, etc.

It's safe to say I'll never use another browser than Opera.