Author Topic: Kill Bill's Browser  (Read 7565 times)

cymon

• Kudos: 172
Re: Kill Bill's Browser
« Reply #75 on: 15 March 2006, 14:29 »
Never mind the fact that the Opera email client is utter shite.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #76 on: 15 March 2006, 15:30 »
Quote from: cymon
Never mind the fact that the Opera email client is utter shite.

Yes, as well as the IRC client. But its the browser I use, not the e-mail and IRC client.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #77 on: 15 March 2006, 15:37 »
I know Thunderbird is better but I use Opera's email client because it's more convenient.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #78 on: 15 March 2006, 17:44 »
Quote from: Refalm
Yes, as well as the IRC client. But its the browser I use, not the e-mail and IRC client.
Can you remove/not install the IRC client and mail client if you don't want them?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #79 on: 15 March 2006, 20:16 »
No, but I wouldn't complain since the whole program is just a 3.6MB download.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #80 on: 15 May 2006, 22:20 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez

Firefox is bigger and has less features.
I might be able to change the "bigger" bit, a bit ;)

Remember I explained Firefox is like a webpage? It's all markup - XUL, JS, CSS, XHTML and some other things. Go to chrome://browser/content/browser.xul and you'll see the browser render the browser.

I'm estimating that there's quite the large fraction of a compressed megabyte that can be saved by removing unnecessary whitespace (there is alot of it) and comments (particularly the 35-line license blocks that are at the beginning of every second/third source file) from all this markup.

Also, the DOM inspector extension (I don't understand why it's shipped with Firefox atall) comes with 16 locales that I, for one, will never use (Irish? Who the fuck speaks Irish!?), and I only got the one en-US locale for the core browser stuff - so that's a bit stupid.

BTW, does Opera 8 come with help files like FF, or are they stored online?
Firefox comes with some useless (to the average user) tests in resource:///res/samples

Maybe when FF2 comes out I'll be putting out builds of FF smaller than Opera? :)

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #81 on: 16 May 2006, 01:56 »
(really this belongs here but I think we've seen enough bumping for the day)
Quote from: muzzy
If you only look at the incidents that you choose, you won't get very interesting view. As an example to counter your silly little view, I present you a bug that's been reported over two years ago, is marked critical, crashes the browser, and testcase is available:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=202765

See the bug live in here, tested against latest firefox:

http://muzzy.net/ffcrash/crash.xml

So, where are the "hundreds" of programmers now? Oh, it's not an issue because it hasn't been publicized in any magazine?
Just to let ye know - FF 1.5.0.3, GNU/Linux, - no crash, but loading doesn't complete. Probably another bug, but at least it doesn't SEEM serious.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #82 on: 16 May 2006, 11:22 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
BTW, does Opera 8 come with help files like FF, or are they stored online?

They are all stored online.

ReggieMicheals

• Kudos: 228
    • http://osadvocacy.frih.net/
« Reply #83 on: 16 May 2006, 13:28 »
I'm fine using opera, but it seriously sucks with loading things such as YTMNDs. Its got a good download manager though(open up an installer, then delete it after its complete without opening up a single new window)...
IE sucks with Web Standards, but still use it to check a created web page loading properly.
Firefox lacks the simplistic interface that I can shorten Opera to, but its the only one that can load a dang page right!
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #84 on: 17 May 2006, 23:21 »
Quote from: Refalm
They are all stored online.
FF brings them along in the download (along with a very nice help viewer), which is good and bad. But it PARTLY explains why Opera is so much smaller to download than FF.

After I make a build of FF without the unnecessary whitespace and comments in the markup, without the help viewer and the help files (only if there's an easy way to exclude them), and without the DOM inspector (the only extension that comes with FF - and it's fucking huge for a few reasons (loadsa functionality, and it ships with 16 too many locales) - I don't get why this extension is shipped with FF. It's a saviour for web-devs but useless to most users) - I imagine it'd be very close to Opera in download size. Or at least, a good improvement. Most people don't use/need all that stuff.

RE: download manager. I installed the flashgot extension and it allows you to use a dedicated download manager (e.g. Kget) for downloading.

• VIP
  • Kudos: 223
« Reply #85 on: 6 June 2006, 21:50 »
Love the link. Firefox is one hell of a webbrowser, and is MUCH better than Safari. Safari has trouble rendering web pages. Firefox does a great job of blocking pop-up ads.

Still, wasn't there a time when it would block banner ads?

Oh, and I would say that firefox is better than Opera, there is much better support for Firefox, most likely because Firefox is open-source. That is one of the reasons why I prefer open source to closed-source.