Author Topic: Why I switched to Linux  (Read 1269 times)

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
Why I switched to Linux
« on: 20 November 2005, 22:14 »
I used to be a XP user. I've toyed around with having a linux partition on an off in the past. I never made the switch completely from XP to linux.

I've spent an entire career predominetly fixing, installing and configuring windows. I got my first experience with linux in 1999. I've heard about unix in the past, but not Linux. I was amazed at its stability and performance.

I learned a little bit about, unfortunetly that company moved from linux to NT, and things went down hill.

I am re-learning linux again after a 5 year break. Sony root kit debacle caused me to take the plunge. I feel like a newbie again, but I find it frustrating and stimulating at the same time trying to learn a whole new OS.

I have a p3 550 mhz POS and it runs fine on linux using KDE. I can four terminal windows in kde compiling programs, and it doesnt crash. Thats one of the other reasons. Security in linux is also a big plus, along a command line. I missed the command from DOS-it made my job much more easier. The whole operating system+operating enviroment works for me. I have only one gripe about linux/unix. It seems like you have to be a programmer to figure out problems with linux.

Everything else is peachy. I like linux and Microsoft sucks ass :fu:.
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Why I switched to Linux
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2005, 22:21 »
Well congrats. Just one thing:
Quote from: dmcfarland
It seems like you have to be a programmer to figure out problems with linux.
I never thought that. IMO you do need to understand the system and what you're doing to have things work your way.

If something just doesn't work (and you're doing everything right, having read the docs), file a bug. You don't needa be a programmer to do that, unless you want to fix it yourself.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2005, 22:56 »
I figured out Linux in like 1 month ... it would have taken longer if I were using KDE for my desktop ... GNOME is far easier to understand than KDE in my opinion. I'm not a programmer and I understand the basics behind it ... and I can usually fix my own problems (unless they are unfixable) ... "just Google it"

dmcfarland

« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2005, 23:00 »
The basic are relatively easy. I have a problem when somethings wrong, but fortunetly there is a huge linux community out there that are actaully really helpful and they know what they're doing. Thats a plus for me.

dmcfarland

« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2005, 23:02 »
I have less problems with KDE.

Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
I figured out Linux in like 1 month ... it would have taken longer if I were using KDE for my desktop ... GNOME is far easier to understand than KDE in my opinion. I'm not a programmer and I understand the basics behind it ... and I can usually fix my own problems (unless they are unfixable) ... "just Google it"

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2005, 22:51 »
Quote from: dmcfarland
I have a p3 550 mhz POS and it runs fine on linux using KDE. I can four terminal windows in kde compiling programs, and it doesnt crash. Thats one of the other reasons.

Memory management - it's all about the memory management.  Windows can't manage shit.

Quote from: h_texmex_h
it would have taken longer if I were using KDE for my desktop ... GNOME is far easier to understand than KDE in my opinion. I'm not a programmer and I understand the basics behind it

Clearly, you have never had any gdm malfunctions :D  Those are the worst.  And if you find the solution with Google, that's pure luck.  Don't ever fuck with your gdm settings.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2005, 23:22 »
Quote from: worker201
Clearly, you have never had any gdm malfunctions :D Those are the worst. And if you find the solution with Google, that's pure luck. Don't ever fuck with your gdm settings.

GDM?  Is that anything like Fluxbox?  :p

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2005, 03:15 »
Quote from: worker201
Clearly, you have never had any gdm malfunctions :D Those are the worst. And if you find the solution with Google, that's pure luck. Don't ever fuck with your gdm settings.

You're right, I haven't, I only fuck with settings if I know what I'm doing (50 % of the time I do). As for google ... I don't find most of my solutions on google ... most solutions I come up with on my own, but if I can't, then google usually helps me get ideas on what might be going wrong ... and yeah, ok, a great deal of luck is also involved :D

PatrickMay

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2005, 04:36 »
I switched to Linux by chance. Recently, I just decided to install a Linux distribution for the fun of it, and in the last two months I've barely used Windows at all.

Linux is great. I've had problems, but I was able to fix them with help from google and other Linux users.
Let's talk about war over oil, let's talk about the oil, let's talk about the needs for the oil in the US soil.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2005, 11:32 »
Quote from: PatrickMay
I switched to Linux by chance. Recently, I just decided to install a Linux distribution for the fun of it, and in the last two months I've barely used Windows at all.

Linux is great. I've had problems, but I was able to fix them with help from google and other Linux users.

Glad to hear it. http://www.google.com/linux and apt-get was a great invention for me to make Linux easier :)