Author Topic: Microsoft claims firms 'hitting a wall' with Linux  (Read 3574 times)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Microsoft claims firms 'hitting a wall' with Linux
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2005, 21:02 »
Well ... then install Linux instead.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #16 on: 26 November 2005, 21:32 »
Quote from: WMD
Windows 98 setup boots to a command line, and says "run FDISK lol".  You have to start that yourself and partition, then close that and run the setup program.  Not to mention in 1998 a lot of computers still couldn't boot from CDs, so you had to make a boot disk along with that.
So it must be completely different to Windows 98 SE.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2005, 00:28 »
No, what I described is 98 SE.  No version of 98 has a self-running, GUI partitioner...just fdisk.  The rest of the setup is GUI, once you start it.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Jack2000

« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2005, 02:55 »
why the heck would you need "a self-running, GUI partitioner" packed up with
M$'s Win98 ??
you have partition magic
for that !!

for server i will have to go with unix based system

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2005, 06:49 »
Not everybody has Partition Magic, and nobody who doesn't know what they're doing (or even what a partition is) even gives a shit enough to pay $25 for software that does that.

Besides, to them, if Windows fucks up, "the computer broke" and it's time to get a new one. Do you know how many old PCs I have sitting in my closet that I took from friends who I couldn't convince to just install a new OS?

Of course you don't.

I'm typing this on a Celeron 633 that was given away because the owner thought it was "broken" and nothing I could say would convince him otherwise. He visted my place a while back and saw me using it and was like WTF?!?! I'm running XP Pro SP2 and FC3 on it.
Go the fuck ~

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #20 on: 27 November 2005, 19:45 »
ROFLMFAO

Quote from: hm_murdock
Not everybody has Partition Magic, and nobody who doesn't know what they're doing (or even what a partition is) even gives a shit enough to pay $25 for software that does that.

Besides, to them, if Windows fucks up, "the computer broke" and it's time to get a new one. Do you know how many old PCs I have sitting in my closet that I took from friends who I couldn't convince to just install a new OS?

Of course you don't.

I'm typing this on a Celeron 633 that was given away because the owner thought it was "broken" and nothing I could say would convince him otherwise. He visted my place a while back and saw me using it and was like WTF?!?! I'm running XP Pro SP2 and FC3 on it.
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

Jack2000

« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2005, 21:49 »
lol

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #22 on: 29 November 2005, 02:34 »
Back on topic, the guy who wrote the article and performed the study showed up on Slashdot to defend himself and field questions.
http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/28/1245256&tid=109&tid=11&tid=106
The story of the process of producing such a study is very interesting.  First, the company asks the researchers to do a study that measures something (in this case, Microsoft wanting a measurement of reliability).  The study is done, and then released to the company who paid for it.  IFFFF the company likes it, then it gets released.  If not, you'll never hear about it.

So of course, all the studies and articles you read are going to be pro-Microsoft.  Because Microsoft is paying for them.  If somebody was shelling out big bucks to pay for Linux research, you'd have some pro-Linux stories out there.

I guess it needs to be re-iterated that you have to think for yourself.  You know what works and what doesn't, you have the experience.  Just remember to think.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2005, 06:57 »
Quote from: hm_murdock

Of course you don't.

I have roughly 7 computers that work fine I got under the same circumstances. Its great, I love Microsoft, without them I would be short on hardware.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #24 on: 30 November 2005, 07:57 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
... A demented monkey can install Window$ 98 :D

This is still a few levels ahead in evolution compared to your average suburban human.

People are so retarded in the suburbs I truely wish I had a gun.

dmcfarland

« Reply #25 on: 30 November 2005, 19:16 »
Ill pray for you Kin.

Quote from: Kintaro
This is still a few levels ahead in evolution compared to your average suburban human.

People are so retarded in the suburbs I truely wish I had a gun.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2005, 19:22 »
Please don't I have enough bad karma as it is without you effecting the collective of God enough for him to think I am on your level. I am over fifty thousand times more intelligent than you, it gives me a headache trying to think down to your level.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2005, 20:24 »
Ahhhh ... but I am the smartest of all. No one, not even Kintaro, can ever think of becoming even half as smart as I am. :thumbup:

dmcfarland

« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2005, 23:00 »
Pride commeth before the fall.Dont pat yourself too hard on the back or you'll break your arm. BTW I dealt with smarter and better.

Quote from: Kintaro
Please don't I have enough bad karma as it is without you effecting the collective of God enough for him to think I am on your level. I am over fifty thousand times more intelligent than you, it gives me a headache trying to think down to your level.

johnip

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #29 on: 1 December 2005, 00:40 »
Let me start by stating in my opinion MS Windows (all versions) is just a virus.

You know I can't understand where these people who compile the "independant report" get their data from, I have been using GNU/Linux, Irix, OS X and other ?nix OS for years and have found that the reliability of NON Windows OS's to be so much higher than Windows the comparisons are a joke. Anyone who is serious about real computing does NOT use windows, no exceptions, I have seen sp many times where lots (5 or more) of Windows "servers" being replaced by a single (sometimes older) GNU/Linux of FreeBSD box and doing a way better job, without being rebooted for months (sometimes over a year). I have yet to see a GNU/Linux system replaced by Windows system.

When will people wake up to MS's so called "independant" reports.

Actually when will people wake up and stop perpetuating the Windows virus!