Author Topic: knoppix on usb key  (Read 2246 times)

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
knoppix on usb key
« on: 23 November 2005, 09:47 »
certainly not the first write-up on this, but i did not find this particular page posted here and several of my friends and customers have had success with this walkthrough.

step 1:  download and burn knoppix with nero or the like, and boot it:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

step 2:  follow this howto:

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/179

makes a nice portable.  note that a swap partition could potentially agressively damage a usb key.

have fun
« Last Edit: 23 November 2005, 10:01 by sporkme »
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
Re: knoppix on usb key
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2005, 21:36 »
AFAIK - Ubuntu has this option too now.
It's the Debian family after all...

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2005, 22:29 »
Quote from: sporkme

makes a nice portable.  note that a swap partition could potentially agressively damage a usb key.

have fun

Sounds fun ... except for the fast that most USB keys aren't that cheap ... especially at the size you need them ... can you afford to burn one ? probably.

What would be cooler would be to install it on a Firewire key

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
Re: linux on usb key
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2005, 04:32 »
i used a 1 gb key from dane-elec that goes for $53, well worth it even if it burns up.  guess i had better find a way to keep a backup image and maintain it up-to-date in case of failure.

i love to look on customers' faces when the comp they bring in for repair boots up to a brave new os just because i stuck a usb key in it.
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2005, 01:03 »
DamnSmallLinux is better, its a cut down version of Knoppix (only 50mb) and is very nice to use. That means it easily fits on a $5 128mb stick with a couple of expansion packages and personal files.

Also wouldn't require a swap drive on a modern pc cause of the low memory requirements.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2005, 01:27 »
Cool :thumbup: ... I was looking for a version that doesn't require a swap file ... I'd hate to waste money on a burnt USB key

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #6 on: 1 December 2005, 11:24 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Sounds fun ... except for the fast that most USB keys aren't that cheap ... especially at the size you need them ... can you afford to burn one ? probably.

What would be cooler would be to install it on a Firewire key

NEWSFLASH: Firewire is slower than USB 2.0.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #7 on: 1 December 2005, 11:33 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Cool :thumbup: ... I was looking for a version that doesn't require a swap file ... I'd hate to waste money on a burnt USB key

Knoppix doesn't need a swap if you've got more than 256MB of memory.

EDIT:
I've run it at work on a doze box with 128MB and no swap, but that was a year ago and I don't know if the latest version will run on that machine.

You should be able to run Damn Small Linux on a 64MB machine with no swap.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Jack2000

« Reply #8 on: 1 December 2005, 21:27 »
why need the stick to save the swap file ???
use ram disk for it instead

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #9 on: 1 December 2005, 21:57 »
That's a stupid idea, the whole point of having a swap file is in case you run out of memory, a RAM disk will just eat up more RAM and slow things down. :rolleyes:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #10 on: 2 December 2005, 00:02 »
Quote from: Kintaro

Not really ... I'm pretty sure it's the opposite ... Firewire is 16 % to 70 % faster than USB 2.0 ;)

Articles: One , Two

Question: Which is faster Hi-Speed USB 2.0 or FireWire?
Answer: In sustained throughput FireWire is faster than USB 2.0.

Question: If Hi-Speed USB 2.0 is a 480 Mbps interface and FireWire is a 400 Mbps interface, how can FireWire be faster?
Answer: Differences in the architecture of the two interfaces have a huge impact on the sustained throughput.

:D

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #11 on: 2 December 2005, 01:01 »
FW is hardware-driven, using its own controllers for data maneuvering and DMA, while USB2 uses software and the main CPU for nearly everything. USB is also one of those Microsoft/Compaq/Intel alliance things from the mid 1990s... of course it's inferior.
Go the fuck ~

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #12 on: 2 December 2005, 03:44 »
Interesting, you should follow the point that the majority of drives support better USB 2.0 compared to Firewire. Of course if your using it to link 2 machines its fucking badarse.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #13 on: 3 December 2005, 05:45 »
Quote from: Kintaro

Wrong. Firewire can transfer constantly at 400MBPS. USB 2 goes in bursts of 480.
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #14 on: 3 December 2005, 05:53 »
Quote from: themacuser
Wrong. Firewire can transfer constantly at 400MBPS. USB 2 goes in bursts of 480.

Wow, your actually right after checking some things. I just read some quick specs and I got the wrong idea.

The problem with swapping to flash is that flash is not meant to have that many damn read/write operations.