Author Topic: knoppix on usb key  (Read 2245 times)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: linux on usb key
« Reply #15 on: 3 December 2005, 19:16 »
Quote from: Kintaro
Interesting, you should follow the point that the majority of drives support better USB 2.0 compared to Firewire. Of course if your using it to link 2 machines its fucking badarse.

Well, as you know, firewire is only really popular with macs, so even though USB 2.0 is slower, a lot more computers have it compared to firewire. I just thought that the reason that usb keys tend to burn out when they have a swap partition on them is probably because they weren't designed for constant transfer at max speed, unlike firewire.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #16 on: 4 December 2005, 00:59 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Knoppix doesn't need a swap if you've got more than 256MB of memory.

EDIT:
I've run it at work on a doze box with 128MB and no swap, but that was a year ago and I don't know if the latest version will run on that machine.

You should be able to run Damn Small Linux on a 64MB machine with no swap.

it mostly works on my 22mg ram laptop :) except for firefox

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 4 December 2005, 01:02 »
Quote from: Pathos
it mostly works on my 22mg ram laptop :) except for firefox
Recommending dillo.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
Re: knoppix on usb key
« Reply #18 on: 12 December 2005, 09:19 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Not really ... I'm pretty sure it's the opposite ... Firewire is 16 % to 70 % faster than USB 2.0 ;)

Articles: One , Two
:D

From article one:
[indent]The Windows PC implementation of USB 2.0 puts the Mac to shame. Today we tested the same USB 2.0 drive/enclosure on a Windows PC (3GHz Pentium 4) with built-in USB 2.0 on the motherboard, similar to Apple's approach. We measured 33MB/s READ and 27MB/s WRITE.
[/indent]

So, USB 2.0 is much slower than firewire...if you're running a Mac. On a PC, it's marginally slower. Could it be that firewire died out because it was more expensive to impliment than USB, not worth the extra cost for the tiny improvement in performance? Cost is everything in the commodity PC world.
:)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #19 on: 12 December 2005, 18:02 »
That page also says:
NOTE: We formatted the test drive as "Mac OS Extended" or HFS+ when testing on the Mac. Then we reformatted the drive in NTFS when I moved the drive to the Windows PC.

So it could be the filesystem too.  They should've tested both with FAT32.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #20 on: 12 December 2005, 18:56 »
Quote from: WMD
That page also says:

So it could be the filesystem too.  They should've tested both with FAT32.

Agreed, a benchmark of this sort can only be compared if you are using the same filesystem on both machines.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #21 on: 12 December 2005, 19:28 »
here is some more info

USB 2.0 is 480mbits/s or 60Mbytes/s
Firewire 400 is 400mbits/s or 50Mbytes/s
Firewire 800 is 800mbits/s or 100mbytes/s
sig.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #22 on: 12 December 2005, 21:16 »
As I told you in another thread, those are simply the rated speeds.  None of them will run at those speeds, and certainly not sustained.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #23 on: 14 December 2005, 12:00 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Recommending dillo.

doesn't work in 4 bit colour either :(