Author Topic: My one gripe about linux  (Read 3155 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: My one gripe about linux
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2005, 22:11 »
Quote from: dmcfarland
For one I dont see the benefits or updating my kernel everytime a new one come out. I can see updating a kernel when there is a major revision.
You don't have to compile the kernel yourself. The advantages of doing that are close to nil, and the chances of fucking up unless you RTFM (after RTFM, though, it's pretty simple) are quite high. Just use binary releases of the kernel from your distribution.

Your attitude about linux is one of the reasons why it wont be an alternative to users who are currently using windows, and wont ever get popularity among regular people. I dont sucribe to your belief.
From what I can see worker201 was just stating a few fairly obvious truths.

Some game developers build their games for GNU/Linux and some don't. These SFC3 developers obviously don't. Whose fault is that?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2005, 02:08 »
i normally keep my kernel up to date by *.*.*, i do *.*.*.* when im bored though
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2005, 02:49 »
Unfortunately , my linux box died in the middle of the Vector installer. I liked Debian, but I couldn't get any GUI out of it. I was putting on Vector as a dual boot, and it died on me. The screen just went blank, I suspect something in the IDE chain for the cdrom, becuase the main drive jammed, I tried another but that prevented it from booting.

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2005, 05:39 »
It obviously the developers. I am going to install a small windows partition so I can that game. I am not in a hurry to putz with my partitions right now.

Quote from: piratePenguin
You don't have to compile the kernel yourself. The advantages of doing that are close to nil, and the chances of fucking up unless you RTFM (after RTFM, though, it's pretty simple) are quite high. Just use binary releases of the kernel from your distribution.
From what I can see worker201 was just stating a few fairly obvious truths.

Some game developers build their games for GNU/Linux and some don't. These SFC3 developers obviously don't. Whose fault is that?
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

JARULES

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2005, 22:29 »
I Uze Windows Xp/////

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2005, 02:53 »
Quote from: JARULES
I Uze Windows Xp/////

Good for you.  WindowsBBS is waiting to hear from you.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2005, 04:37 »
Then why and the hell are you registered with microsuck.com? BTW I feel so sorry for you.

I could see having a windows partition for games IMHO, but running XP all the way.....Oh yeah :fu: Microsoft.

I Uze Windows Xp/////
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

JARULES

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #22 on: 30 November 2005, 03:36 »
Hahaha If Linux Is So Good Y Do They Give It Away?//// U Have To By Windows

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2005, 03:38 »
I say ban, or a least tempban, for JARULES. He/She/It oviosly isn't going to contribute anything and will just continue sodomising grammar.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #24 on: 30 November 2005, 06:44 »
Quote from: Dark_Me
I say ban, or a least tempban, for JARULES. He/She/It oviosly isn't going to contribute anything and will just continue sodomising grammar.

I agree, but this does not belong in this thread and belongs in a private message to our very productive, thoughtful, compassionate, caring Admin Refalm.

solemnwarning

« Reply #25 on: 30 November 2005, 08:56 »
I Say PERMABAN!!

JARULES is just a spammer who tends to follow me around for some reason, i think he googles for my name or somthing.
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-

solemnwarning

« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2005, 09:00 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
I Say PERMABAN!!

JARULES is just a spammer who tends to follow me around for some reason, i think he googles for my name or somthing.

Well, probably MSN search actually.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2005, 10:44 »
Hahaha If Linux Is So Good Y Do They Give It Away?//// U Have To By Windows

Some things are better when they're free.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2005, 15:33 »
Quote from: Refalm
Some things are better when they're free.

Are you referring to the ban? :D

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #29 on: 30 November 2005, 18:14 »
Hahaha If Linux Is So Good Y Do They Give It Away?
GNU/Linux is good because it's free (as in freedom) software (and is also "given away") (For non-retards: some might disagree with that, but I can't see GNU or Linux (which, remember, was begun by a (AFAIK not-rich (and thus probably couldn't have employed developers to work on Linux)) Finnish university student.) coming as far as they've come if they weren't free software.).

I'm pretty sure you haven't used GNU/Linux. You might be surprised how excellent it is if you tried it.

It's so common of retards to use "If X is so good then why is it free (as in price)?" as an argument against alot of free software. I've seen it used for the GIMP, and GNU/Linux itself. Fucking retards...
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.