Author Topic: My one gripe about linux  (Read 3153 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: My one gripe about linux
« Reply #30 on: 30 November 2005, 18:21 »
Either way you can't force people to pay for free software unless it isn't completely free, for example some open source games where the program itself is free but the art and sound are copyrighted.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #31 on: 30 November 2005, 18:31 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Either way you can't force people to pay for free software unless it isn't completely free
Correct, you can't "force" them to. But you can ask them to.

the program itself is free but the art and sound are copyrighted.
"Free" doesn't mean public domain. Either you're really really stupid or that's a mistake (I believe it's the latter).

EDIT: And what has this got to do with what I was saying or what we were discussing?
« Last Edit: 30 November 2005, 18:44 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: 1 December 2005, 11:17 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Correct, you can't "force" them to. But you can ask them to.

And they can always say no.

"Free" doesn't mean public domain. Either you're really really stupid or that's a mistake (I believe it's the latter).

No mistake and no stupidity either, the GPL states that the source should be available to everyone. I know you could just sell people CDs with the binary + source but you couldn't stop them from releasing the sourceto the publiuc domain (i.e. putting it on their website) unless you're advocating semi-copyrighted material or shared source (like some agreements between governments and MS or open source games with copyrighted art and sound or Linux distros containing a proprietary element) all of which aren't completely free.

EDIT: And what has this got to do with what I was saying or what we were discussing?

Are you taking the piss?
Read the post you were origionally replying to.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #33 on: 1 December 2005, 20:01 »
And they can always say no.
And I thought if you asked someone to do something they had to do it.

(I was being sarcastic there, just incase you didn't realise.)

I'm not fucking retarded, sheezus!

No mistake and no stupidity either, the GPL states that the source should be available to everyone. I know you could just sell people CDs with the binary + source but you couldn't stop them from releasing the sourceto the publiuc domain (i.e. putting it on their website) unless you're advocating semi-copyrighted material or shared source (like some agreements between governments and MS or open source games with copyrighted art and sound or Linux distros containing a proprietary element) all of which aren't completely free.
Okay so it wasn't a mistake, just plain stupidy, as you shall see:
Quote from: you
the program itself is free but the art and sound are copyrighted.
Most likely it'd all be copyright, not only the artwork. The program would be protected by copyright too, in most cases. According to you it isn't.

An intelligent being would've written more along these lines:
The sofware is free (as in freedom), but the artwork has a stricter license preventing redistribution/whatever.

Are you taking the piss?
No.
Read the post you were origionally replying to.
JARULES? Err, I don't think you were commenting on his post. So just answer my question, simply.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: 1 December 2005, 21:38 »
The sofware is free (as in freedom), but the artwork has a stricter license preventing redistribution/whatever.

Yes that's what I meant.

*sigh* all this shit over words. :rolleyes:

No.
JARULES? Err, I don't think you were commenting on his post. So just answer my question, simply.

You.

Alright, I suppose you're simple so I'll simply paraphrase the last few posts:

Jarrules was reffering to the price of Linux and you explained that it's about open source and fredom rather than cost (which it is). I explained that unless you place at least part of the software or data associated with it under a more restrictive license people don't have to pay you to use your software if they don't want to.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #35 on: 1 December 2005, 21:56 »
Yes that's what I meant.
Well it's not what you said, and it's not what I read.

*sigh* all this shit over words. :rolleyes:
WTF, this is an internet forum. What we read from other members is all we have to base our opinions of them on, and to comment on.

Alright, I suppose you don't possess the ability to read minds over the internet
Fixed!

Jarrules was reffering to the price of Linux and you explained that it's about open source and fredom rather than cost (which it is). I explained that unless you place at least part of the software or data associated with it under a more restrictive license people don't have to pay you to use your software if they don't want to.
At least that makes sense!

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #36 on: 2 December 2005, 03:45 »
And you have all been completely fucking trolled you pair of idiots.

What part of ignore the trolls baffles your mind you fucking tools?

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #37 on: 2 December 2005, 05:01 »
Quote from: Kintaro

Probably the part where people build a constructive conversation from a useless one.
Given the leeway you've seen with the rules, I'd sit down and shut up.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #38 on: 2 December 2005, 05:05 »
Quote from: Orethrius
Probably the part where people build a constructive conversation from a useless one.
Given the leeway you've seen with the rules, I'd sit down and shut up.

So we are going to reply to trolls, feed them, let them post more so the forum goes to shit and do nothing about it. All for the good of creating a constructive conversation we have seen in 52345263456324556235 threads in this section of the forum. Always involving the same two bickering people with different beliefs, and always the exact same arguements. Always going knowhere at all. It is not constructive, it is troll food.

I have more reputation on this forum than anybody else, that means something doesn't it?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: 2 December 2005, 17:47 »

Even though you're a flaming bag of shit you do have a perfectly valid point, piratePenguin should've just ignored the troll and I should've also ignored his reponse to it.

What's wrong with you kintaro?

You used to be a good member, why have you started to go round and flame everone after you were unbanned?

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #40 on: 2 December 2005, 18:06 »

I have more reputation on this forum than anybody else, that means something doesn't it?
Yea, that people used to like you.

EDIT: and also that I can't give you negative rep 'cause I have to "spread aorund some more rep" first.

Kintaro PMed me about feeding the trolls:
Quote from: Kintaro (subject: Don't feed the trolls)
http://www.microsuck.com/forums/sho...40&postcount=30

WTF, why did you even bother to reply to that.

To which I replied:
Quote from: me
Retards often suggest that GNU/Linux is shit because you can get it without paying money to the developers/anyone. Retards are the most of the people in the world who gotta be educated. This guy just might never again suggest that GNU/Linux sucks just because you can get it without payment.
To which he replied:
It's an obvious troll, just ignore them and they tend to go away for good.
To which I will not reply, because he quite obviously didn't take what I said in my post into account.
« Last Edit: 2 December 2005, 18:13 by piratePenguin »

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #41 on: 3 December 2005, 05:43 »
Stupid troll...

Hahaha If Linux Is So Good Y Do They Give It Away?//// U Have To By Windows

^ note extra capitals         ^^ can't spell why             ^^^ too lazy to hold shift ^^^ can't spell buy
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #42 on: 4 December 2005, 20:01 »
Technically Open Source software is free as Linux is. Most companies that sell Linux dont charge people for the software they made. They charge the customer for technical support.

I dont think anything is completely free.
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu: