Author Topic: About The Mac  (Read 2769 times)

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
Re: About The Mac
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2005, 08:14 »
Quote from: worker201
That might be true.  But the way I heard it, Apple wasn't having their processor demands met.  They needed fatter processors to go in the PowerBook, and IBM wasn't making one.  And the G6 wasn't set to arrive on time.

Well, whatever.  As long as Apple doesn't put any of that Celeron crippleware in the Macs, it'll be okay.

OS X for intels runs on a celeron. Maybe a cheaper celeron Mac Mini?
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #16 on: 14 December 2005, 21:26 »
Celerons are terrible. I have one here, it irks me. It has the power of some old pentium three.

The G5 was running way too hot to put in a notebook, the thing would be huge with all the fans and it would have little battery life.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #17 on: 15 December 2005, 06:02 »
Quote from: cymon
Celerons are terrible. I have one here, it irks me. It has the power of some old pentium three.

I object to your passing comparison of P3s and Celerons.  My P3 runs Slackware flawlessly, thankyouverymuch.  :cool:

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #18 on: 16 December 2005, 15:40 »
AMD > * > Intel :)
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #19 on: 17 December 2005, 03:00 »
*?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2005, 03:04 »
a pentium 3 is far faster than a celeron at the same clock speeds. if you were to take a 1.8ghz p3 and a 1.8ghz celeron. the p3 would seem closer to around a 2.4-2.8 p4
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #21 on: 17 December 2005, 04:41 »
A thought:

Celeron is to Pentium as 486SX is to 486DX2

Is this true?  Is the Celeron missing the math co-processor?  Or is it fucked up in some other way?

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 17 December 2005, 04:45 »
Celeron=Missing huge amount of cache,
the socket 370 celerons had 128k l2 cache
the socket 478 have 256k-512k l2 cache. the equivalent p4 would have 512k and 1mb
the lga775 celerons have 512k l2 cache(the p4s have 2mb or 4mb for dual core)

and the dothan celerons have 1mb l2 cache with the pentium Ms have 2mb

in the Netburst world, cache makes a hige differnce

considering a duron with 64k l2 cache pwned a cleron with 128k l2 cache
sig.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #23 on: 17 December 2005, 17:12 »
Quote from: Dark_Me
*?
* is a wildcard for everything.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #24 on: 17 December 2005, 19:20 »
Quote from: Lead Head
Celeron=Missing huge amount of cache,
the socket 370 celerons had 128k l2 cache
the socket 478 have 256k-512k l2 cache. the equivalent p4 would have 512k and 1mb
the lga775 celerons have 512k l2 cache(the p4s have 2mb or 4mb for dual core)

and the dothan celerons have 1mb l2 cache with the pentium Ms have 2mb

in the Netburst world, cache makes a hige differnce

considering a duron with 64k l2 cache pwned a cleron with 128k l2 cache

Not all correct information.

The Socket 370 did in fact have 128k...but so did the first 478s.  The Celeron D (both 478 and 775) have 256k, and no Celeron to date has 512k.  You are also correct about the Celeron M.

The Celeron also always has a lower bus speed: today's go no higher than 533MHz, and the original Celerons were 66MHz (when the P2 was 100).  Usually, they keep the Celeron bus at half the speed of the highest Pentium bus.

The statement that cache makes a big difference "in the Netburst" world is a bit misleading.  It matters on ALL architectures.  The duron "pwning" the Celeron would have nothing to do with this (I never even heard of that happening, anyway).
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 17 December 2005, 19:33 »
usually a duron beats a celeron at the similar clock levels, even though the duron has less cache
sig.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #26 on: 17 December 2005, 20:43 »
Usually the Duron fries as the fan fails because the intense HEAT OF THE SUN(TM) that the Duron bleeds off destroys the fan's mechanism. AMD runs too hot to be practical for much more than space heaters.

As for running games on Mac. Nearly anything you want has been ported. If it hasn't, then fuck it. You won't run it. VPC won't run it, and none of the other emulators will either.

If you give a fuck worth about games that aren't MMOs or RTS, get a fucking game machine. I hear the playstation is pretty good.
Go the fuck ~

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #27 on: 17 December 2005, 20:50 »
Total Annihilation has a mac port.  Therefore, every single GOOD RTS game is on the Mac.  Oh yeah, and there are games by this fly-by-night company called "Blizzard."  Their games are not very good, but they're there if you want them.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #28 on: 17 December 2005, 21:12 »
Eh?

Warcraft 2 is a really good game, after that Blizzard went shit. :)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: 17 December 2005, 21:17 »
Quote from: hm_murdock
Usually the Duron fries as the fan fails because the intense HEAT OF THE SUN(TM) that the Duron bleeds off destroys the fan's mechanism. AMD runs too hot to be practical for much more than space heaters.

As for running games on Mac. Nearly anything you want has been ported. If it hasn't, then fuck it. You won't run it. VPC won't run it, and none of the other emulators will either.

If you give a fuck worth about games that aren't MMOs or RTS, get a fucking game machine. I hear the playstation is pretty good.

thats why i can run my a64 3000+ at idle with the fan unplugged with the STOCK heatsink. with the fan plugged in it idels at about 23-27c
sig.