Author Topic: Contemplating Switch  (Read 3743 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Contemplating Switch
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2005, 22:17 »
Are you using the latest version of Fireman?
Apparantly in version 1.4 "ISO9660 Image Burn function is added".
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/HT_Fireman.htm
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

foot foot

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2005, 22:21 »
Yeah, I have the latest version and it starts burning fine then just says an error occurred.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2005, 22:22 »
Quote from: foot foot
Yeah, I have the latest version and it starts burning fine then just says an error occurred.

Is it the media or what, do you think?
Does it give an error message?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2005, 22:34 »
I have made the switch. BTW how much experience do u have with computers? I am a linux newbie. I find Fedora Core 4 to be a newbie friendly linux distribution.

Theres a good easy to understand guide for installing Fedora Core 4. Ill give you the link below.

Oh yeah a good cd burning program for Windows XP is cdburner xp and its freeware.

Heres the link http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Good Luck:thumbup:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc4.html
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #19 on: 28 November 2005, 01:19 »
I have Roxio on my Windows XP partition at work, and you can just double-click an iso file, and it will burn properly.

Linux is pretty cool with an iPod.  I had to go through a bunch of hell, tho, because I wanted to keep my iPod in HFS+ (Mac) format, so I had to insert some kernel modules.  But after that, it was rad.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2005, 02:17 »
I thought the installation of fedora was easier than ubuntu because, fedora has a fully graphical installer with mouse support and eye candy. But i think the installer will revert to a less pretty mode if you have sucky hardware
sig.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2005, 02:21 »
I don't really like the graphical installers. My favorites are the ncurses installers, like the Debian one. Graphical is nice, but I find all the eye candy tries to sugarcoat the installation.

foot foot

« Reply #22 on: 28 November 2005, 05:56 »
OK, it worked with CDBurner XP but now when I pop the CD in and double-click the icon and nothing happens, it just goes to ISO Buster. I'm really confused. I'm sorry for all the questions but this really sucks.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #23 on: 28 November 2005, 08:26 »
You're still burning the ISO file to disc, not burning the disc from the ISO.  Try checking CDburner (or whatever) for an option that says something like "Burn Image to Disc," not "Burn Data Disc."  Once the burn process has completed successfully, reboot your PC with the CD in the drive.  Treat it like you would a standard recovery disc; that is, use your boot-selection popup (you may have to set this in BIOS, depending on the age of your system) to select your CD drive as the boot drive.  It's all downhill from there, but if you have ANY valuable data, be sure to back it up on CD, DVD, or tape (maybe even floppy if it's just a couple textfiles) first.  Come back here if you still encounter problems.

Also, what are the system specs (as far as you know)?  Is this a laptop, tower, or other?

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

foot foot

« Reply #24 on: 28 November 2005, 09:40 »
OK, I picked the option "Write ISO Image". Is that correct? As far as my system it's a desktop P4 HP and it has Windows XP.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #25 on: 28 November 2005, 10:04 »
That sounds right; try it, then restart and boot from the CD when it's done.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #26 on: 28 November 2005, 16:43 »
Yes, try that.

Do not forget:
You cannot install an operating system from within Windows. You will lose Windows by installing Linux. When you reboot the computer, with the new disk in the cdrom drive, a text mode installer will start, and it will do wast of the work for you.

Another important thing is getting internet to work - if you can get that to work, then you can ask others for help with other things. So, before you install, do you have dialup or broadband?

foot foot

« Reply #27 on: 28 November 2005, 19:49 »
I have a broadband connection. Also, if I can get a step-by-step little guide on how to boot it up with the new CD. Do I just pop it in and hit restart?

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #28 on: 28 November 2005, 20:27 »
Yes. Broadband is good - it will probably be detected automatically.

1. You put it in, and restart. As it boots up with a console press enter (do not type anything)
2. Language and keyboard selection.
3. lots of stuff that doesn't need your intervention (HW detection, network setup - you might have to press enter a few times here)
4. The partitioner - this is the part that does the damage. You will probably choose "erase entire disk" and then you can let Ubuntu do it's own partitions. It works and it's the easiest way - something like "partition disk automatically" or "as recommended" I don't remeber. DO NOT FORGET (once again): you WILL lose ALL the data on the disk. If you anything that you want to save - burn it to a CD.
From there it's a breeze...
5. User settings. You need to set up a hostname. Since you anly have one PC, it doesn't really matter. I always use a female name from Tolkien (niniel last time, now tinuviel :)). Then the root pwd, username and password. These are important. The root password you will need for some administration, but not very often in fact. Most of the time you will use the user password for administration. Maybe it's best to write them down.
6. I think that's about it. Enjoy. When you're done, come tell us of your success. One more thing: Do not install if you have less than 128 MiB RAM, the partitioner won't even load.

GOOD LUCK !!! :)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #29 on: 30 November 2005, 20:06 »
You may need to go into your BIOS config (press del at boot or what ever it says) and find the boot order or whatever so it boots off the CD before trying to boot the harddrive.