Author Topic: Contemplating Switch  (Read 3747 times)

foot foot

• Kudos: 10
Re: Contemplating Switch
« Reply #45 on: 4 December 2005, 01:41 »
OK, I couldn't wait and it worked. Thanks for all of the help. I do have a few more question, however. What do I do as far as security goes? Do I just install the free anti-virus and firewall programs I got online when I used Windows? What will I be using instead of Microsoft Works? I don't notice any type of desktop folders such as "My Documents" or "My Music." Do I just create them on my own or what do I do? One other stupid question, how do I change the screen resolution? Thanks for any help.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #46 on: 4 December 2005, 02:09 »
Quote from: foot foot
What do I do as far as security goes?
You definetly don't need to worry about viruses, at least not ATM. You should setup a firewall, but your distribution would probably have already taken care of that (some other Ubuntu users may be able to confirm that).

Do I just install the free anti-virus and firewall programs I got online when I used Windows?
Nope. You won't be needing any anti-virus software at all really. You shouldn't have to install anything for the firewall, unless a GUI for configuration (which Ubuntu probably already has installed).

What will I be using instead of Microsoft Works?
Either OpenOffice.org or GNOME Office (Abiword, Gnumeric, and GNOME-DB) (less-bloated than OOo, but less-complete).

They should be easy to install from Synaptic.

I don't notice any type of desktop folders such as "My Documents" or "My Music." Do I just create them on my own or what do I do?
Yes, create your own. You have your own home folder (/home/username), and you can use it for any crap you want. Create a "documents" and "music" folder if you like.

how do I change the screen resolution?
Desktop -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution. If the resolution you want isn't listed there, let us know. You'd have to do some messing about.
Thanks for any help.
You're welcome :)
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

foot foot

« Reply #47 on: 4 December 2005, 02:37 »
I can't seem to find the right place to change the screen resolution. I followed the directions exactly and after i go to preferences there is no such option as screen resolution.

I have thought of some more questions I hope you guys won't mind answering. When I had Windows and I wanted to install a new program I would just go to the site, DL it, and double-click the program in order to install it. Is it the same with Ubuntu? For example, Soulseek (assuming it's compatible with Ubuntu). Also, lets say I write a story or whatever and e-mail to a computer without Ubuntu, will I be able to open the file and print it?

foot foot

« Reply #48 on: 4 December 2005, 07:42 »
Well, after looking a little better I found the screen resolution. I also found a Ubuntu forum and they helped me in understanding the installion process. I'll be bugging them from now on with my Ubuntu questions. Thank you guys for all the help.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #49 on: 4 December 2005, 08:01 »
Quote from: foot foot
Well, after looking a little better I found the screen resolution. I also found a Ubuntu forum and they helped me in understanding the installion process. I'll be bugging them from now on with my Ubuntu questions. Thank you guys for all the help.

Of course, you're welcome for what assistance we could provide.
Would you mind providing a URL for the Ubuntu forums that assisted you so that we have them on record for future reference?  :)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

foot foot

« Reply #50 on: 7 December 2005, 00:23 »
ubuntuforums.org

Thanks again for all the great assistance.