Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Where are the Good Open Source Games?

(1/19) > >>

Aloone_Jonez:

--- Quote ---the impressive list of achievements of open source software, it can be argued that there have not been any world-class games created under the open source banner. Sure, several old games like Doom and Quake have been gifted to the open source community, but there are no comparable original creations in this area. One should not expect this situation to change anytime soon, because the open source development model does not make sense for game development.
--- End quote ---

Click here for the full artical.

And I'd like to add another reason to the debate: game developers can't make money from selling services.

I know some people here disagree with proprietary software but if you eliminated it you would have no games, so what do you think of semi-open source games like Duke Nukem 3D where the source for the exectable is open but the art and aound is all proprietary? Do you think this would be a reasonable compromise?

WMD:

--- Quote ---I know some people here disagree with proprietary software but if you eliminated it you would have no games,
--- End quote ---

OMG Tux Racer!! ;)

--- Quote ---so what do you think of semi-open source games like Duke Nukem 3D where the source for the exectable is open but the art and aound is all proprietary?
--- End quote ---

There is no such thing as "proprietary art," as it doesn't involve code.  Art is copyrighted, period.  Actually, this method is supported by, of all people, RMS.  So it must be reasonable. :p

I like when game engines are open-source (even if later on), because due to the way games work, they usually have to be changed to work on later operating systems.  For example, put Quake 1 (original) on a new Windows PC and it would barely work, if at all (unlike non-game DOS apps, which usually are fine).

Perhaps that's not the best example, because I think the old-ish WinQuake and GLQuake by id still work....but what about id's original Linux port?  Doesn't work on Linux at all anymore.  But because of open-source, the game can still be played - assuming you have the copyrighted art/data.  Ditto for playing Doom/Quake on OS X.  Everyone wins (gets to play), while the art is still copyrighted and has to be bought - and the same DOS version data works on everything.

Jenda:
I kinda like the TA spring and similar model. You make an engine and all FOSS. People download it and use it. And then, you and others make "mods" for the engine. If done well, the games could differ quite a bit. Who cares if someone makes a proprietary mod? People woule buy the mods and get the engine for free - and it would also save resources. One engine for RTS, one for RPG, one for FPS...

skyman8081:

--- Quote from: Jenda ---I kinda like the TA spring and similar model. You make an engine and all FOSS. People download it and use it. And then, you and others make "mods" for the engine. If done well, the games could differ quite a bit. Who cares if someone makes a proprietary mod? People woule buy the mods and get the engine for free - and it would also save resources. One engine for RTS, one for RPG, one for FPS...
--- End quote ---

Except the developers of Spring use XTA units, and horribly messed up the games balance.  I use the OTA patch for it.

H_TeXMeX_H:
I found one about 5 min. ago ... haven't gotten a chance to try it yet ... Nexuiz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version