Author Topic: Where are the Good Open Source Games?  (Read 10312 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
Re: Where are the Good Open Source Games?
« Reply #47 on: 31 December 2005, 12:51 »
Liquid war OWNS!!!

That is the best game ever!
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #48 on: 5 January 2006, 13:54 »
Got my 9600 today.
This driver hasn't crashed once with it, so that's pretty nice.
Getting ~1200 FPS in glxgears. That's not great but it'll do me alright.

UPDATE: bzflag runs brilliantly, only problem now is my internet connection for playing online (satellite broadband -> high ping)... Still, works great over the local network. PPracer, foobilliard and neverball (excellent game) run great too.
« Last Edit: 6 January 2006, 12:28 by piratePenguin »

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

_kill__bill

• VIP
  • Kudos: 355
« Reply #49 on: 9 January 2006, 23:59 »
I myself am a game developer, so my opinion may count more...

I plan to release my game in stages:
First 6 months, it will be 40 bucks under a proprietary license
Next 6 months, it will be 20 bucks under same license
Next 6 months, it will be released under the GPL (still 20 bucks for a cd, and old copies aren't changed to GPL)
Next 6 months, BSD-style license.

New version every 12 months

Release under Winshit, GNU/Linux, *BSD, Mac and every console I can find has the power.

Wait for it. It will be big.
Long Live the Revolution!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #50 on: 10 January 2006, 00:23 »
Are you serious?

Why are you planning to keep changing the licence?

I'm more interested in the game, what sort of game is this?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #51 on: 10 January 2006, 05:02 »
Quote from: _kill__bill

Next 6 months, it will be released under the GPL (still 20 bucks for a cd, and old copies aren't changed to GPL)

Release under Winshit, GNU/Linux, *BSD, Mac and every console I can find has the power.

... uhhhhhh ... I think I'll stick with the standard $49.99 all-in-one-box-and-under-one-license games

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: 10 January 2006, 11:42 »
My guess is _kill__bill is full of shit, _kill__bill I encourage you to return, go on prove me wrong.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #53 on: 10 January 2006, 14:37 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
My guess is _kill__bill is full of shit, _kill__bill I encourage you to return, go on prove me wrong.
When did you become a telepath?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #54 on: 10 January 2006, 19:46 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
... uhhhhhh ... I think I'll stick with the standard $49.99 all-in-one-box-and-under-one-license games

same... and it won't be big unless you work for a major company like Atari, Sierra, EA games, etc. :p

oh, and good luck getting it ported to everything - that process can be harder than making the game itself. :thumbup:

Quote from: Dark_Me
When did you become a telepath?

He didn't. it's common sense that companies who change their licenses usually are full of shit. :D

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #55 on: 31 January 2006, 16:15 »
X-Moto, brilliant game.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #56 on: 1 February 2006, 00:36 »
Yeah, it's pretty cool ... I installed it yesterday ... only bad part is some of the levels are impossible.

I found it on http://www.happypenguin.org/

_kill__bill

• VIP
  • Kudos: 355
« Reply #57 on: 1 February 2006, 15:37 »
Originally Posted by _kill__bill

It makes sense to me:
The only ones who have to pay a ton are those who want it immediately. You can then get it cheaper, then free (both as in freedom and cost).
It's essentially the same as the Quake/Doom software, except announcing it ahead of time.

same... and it won't be big unless you work for a major company like Atari, Sierra, EA games, etc.

oh, and good luck getting it ported to everything - that process can be harder than making the game itself.

I'll do my best to make it big, and that will take time. Expect it in 5-10 years. And yes, the porting is hell on earth. The XML-based engine will be awesome, though. No more details other than that it will be a first-person sci-fi shooter.

Note: If I end up completely forgetting about the project and/or get transferred to another division, it won't appear.
Long Live the Revolution!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: 1 February 2006, 15:50 »
Quote from: _kill__bill
It's essentially the same as the Quake/Doom software, except announcing it ahead of time.

Doom and Quake aren't totally free, only the source code is, the rest (graphic artwork and sound) is under a more restricted license.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #59 on: 12 February 2006, 00:30 »
Neverball and Wesnoth are cool.