Author Topic: Linux vs Windows a real life comparison  (Read 11636 times)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Linux vs Windows a real life comparison
« Reply #135 on: 16 January 2006, 19:04 »
Quote from: toadlife

Flawed Premise:
Files in unix are not executbale by default so users won't be hit by mail viruses.

If the file is zipped, the executable bit has already been set for you. ;) (read:The Sober Virus)

Uhhh ... but .exe won't run on Linux ... so I don't quite see your point ... you are assuming that there are viruses that are made to run on Linux ... I've only heard of one so far and it only applies if you run a web server

And you can install most programs in your /home folder ... BUT also any program I install comes from tho fedora repo and yum will not install a program that does not match the md5 hash from the fedora site reducing the chances of me installing virus-laden programs with viruses that actually have the capability to appect my system to 0.000000000000000000000000000000001 % or less

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #136 on: 16 January 2006, 19:30 »
Quote from: toadlife
And anyone who claims that Gnu/Linux is a feasable desktop solution for the masses in it's current state takes Gnu/Linux too seriously. :)

If my grandma can learn to use linux the masses better well be able to ... Linux is easier to learn than Winblow$ ... if you don't think so then we should run an experiment ... have two representatives of the masses sit down with 2 identical brand new computers with no OS installed (unformatted hard drives) ... give one of them a Window$ XP disk and one a Linux install disk (pick your favorite distro ... I would say Fedora is the easiest ... all gui ... or Ubuntu if you prefer) .. now tell me how these two are going to fare.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #137 on: 16 January 2006, 19:46 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
If my grandma can learn to use linux the masses better well be able to ...

Sure, any old fool can use Linux, in fact it's no easier/harder to use than Windows, but actually administering a Linux system is a totally differant thing altogeather.

Can your grandma install software?

Can she edit the fstab and XF86Config?

Has she ever heard of chmod?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #138 on: 16 January 2006, 20:01 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Sure, any old fool can use Linux, in fact it's no easier/harder to use than Windows, but actually administering a Linux system is a totally differant thing altogeather.

Can your grandma install software?

Can she edit the fstab and XF86Config?

Has she ever heard of chmod?

Does she need to ? (most of the time)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: 16 January 2006, 20:24 »
That's because she probably doesn't administer the system she just uses it - big differance.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #140 on: 16 January 2006, 21:45 »
That's because she probably doesn't administer the system she just uses it - big differance.

You're assuming that having users as admins is "a good thing

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: 16 January 2006, 23:15 »
As you know that's what causes most of the trouble in the first place.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: 16 January 2006, 23:29 »

Right I'm now going to counter my own argument and paradoxically back it up at the same time.

Of course Linux is easier to administer than Windows because it's easer to learn about the internals and if you have a knowledge of UNIX you're practically there. Windows is easier for most people because it does all the work for them, well infact it just pretends to and as a result most people don't have a clue so the browse under root and install any old shitware without a second thought. However Linux is harder because you have to learn about things and even with the most newb friendly distro you'll find yourself editing some text file because you've got some non-standard hardware or non-pre-packaged software.

Your nan probably can't administer either Windows or Linux. She might manage with the former for a few months but she'll probably need to call in help from someone to remove all te malware every now and again. With Linux she'd probably be hopelessly lost as soon as she buys that printer/scanner which requires her to download and compile a driver or she gets a free CD in mail which work under Linux.

Orethrius

« Reply #143 on: 17 January 2006, 04:37 »
Okay, just so long as you understand that giving normal users admin privs is like...

*Googles for arcane analogy*

...giving... ...bazookas... ...to... ...rhesus monkeys?

System Vitals

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #144 on: 17 January 2006, 04:39 »
Quote from: Orethrius
Okay, just so long as you understand that giving normal users admin privs is like...

*Googles for arcane analogy*

...giving... ...bazookas... ...to... ...rhesus monkeys?

It's more like releasing a career bank robber from prison and giving him the keys to the US Mint's vaults.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Orethrius

« Reply #145 on: 17 January 2006, 04:43 »
Quote from: Annorax
It's more like releasing a career bank robber from prison and giving him the keys to the US Mint's vaults.

I was thinking more along the lines of "over-reaction to repairs" rather than "under-reaction to security breaches" but whatever floats yer boat, tows yer trailer, jerks yer jimmy, skydives yer pilot... uh oh...

System Vitals