Author Topic: Free Software Foundation Begins Rewriting the GPL  (Read 1090 times)

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Re: Free Software Foundation Begins Rewriting the GPL
« Reply #1 on: 4 December 2005, 06:02 »
hmm, i wonder if they will make it more... attractive... to those that cant use the GPL for their software because of restriction like KDE and such.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #2 on: 4 December 2005, 06:51 »
I didnt get all of that article. I think the GPL licensing scheme is just fine. It starts out everyone on a level playing field and then lets them compete to make things better. Thats my impression of it.
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #3 on: 4 December 2005, 16:32 »
Im not really sure what if anything needs improvement, but it does restrict programs from using anything that isnt GPL (or maybe just open source). Like KDE using X. Thats not necessarily a bad thing though. Im really not an expert on the subject either
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2005, 11:45 »
I read an interview with richard stallman and generally its going to be tightened up. He was bitching about how google have modified apache servers or something and don't release the source because they don't have to unless they distribute the executable. But aparently there are holes in the current gpl when patents are involved.

In my mind the gpl was just there to let like minded programmers share code without people using it as their own to profit.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2005, 01:22 »
well, i think the GPL is fine, however so long as all of its principles are maintained, i don't see why the FSF shouldn't update it to reflect the effects of modern technology and legislation. software released under the existing licence needn't be "upgraded" to the new licence unless the maintainer/distributor wants to do it, surely.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2005, 01:42 »
Quote from: Pathos
I read an interview with richard stallman and generally its going to be tightened up. He was bitching about how google have modified apache servers or something and don't release the source because they don't have to unless they distribute the executable.

Apache isn't a GPL program, though.  RMS has no control over its license.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez