Author Topic: The Vandalisation of Windows  (Read 7144 times)

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Re: The Vandalisation of Windows
« Reply #60 on: 4 February 2006, 10:31 »
I know I'm probably being irrational here, but package maintainers decided on a standard format long ago.  It's called C.  Any support beyond that is strictly on a per-case basis.  Get over it.  :p

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #61 on: 4 February 2006, 19:31 »
Worker, this is when you start saying the things that put me off of Linux and its community.
Quote from: "worker201"
Learn how to build shit from source.

Okay, know how you just said that you want lots of choices in installer package formats? Yeah. Well, you just told him that he should be using apt-get, which uses ONE format, and if he wants something else, he needs to re-think what he wants. Then, you told him he should just build from source. Foot. In. Mouth. You whined that him wanting something that improves the quality and value of Linux is "fascist", but then you turn around and tell him that his way of doing things is wrong. Good one.

Some people want to just use their goddamn computer and not fuck around with all this stupid shit. What I've never figured out is how OPENSTEP and Mac OS X can exist, be so popular, and NOBODY WILL EVEN TRY TO MAKE SOMETHING THAT USES THEIR METHODS. We tried it with GenSTEP... and I believe Komodo uses a similar system, so don't fret Aloone, someone's on your side.
So what are you doing wrong that has you so upset?

Another snobbish Linux phrase! What if he's NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG? He's trying to do it a way he wants...  isn't that the Linux Way? Oh, no, I'm sorry... I forgot. It isn't. The Linux Way is this...

Choose which of eleven thousand disparate but somehow similar distros you want. Hope to high heaven that the software and drivers you want and need are available in an "installer package" format that this damn thing uses. Download 80 ISOs. Burn them. One of them was bad. Download it again. Burn it. Boot with the first one. SHIT. Somebody decided to use some new fancy-pants Linux boot CD format that isn't compatible with your machine. WTF? Give up on that one, try a different distro. It only comes on DVD and you don't have a DVD drive. Look for another. Finally give up and get Ubuntu or Fedora or something. Download 11.46 million ISOs and burn them. Install it. Your NIC doesn't work. At all. X11 will only run at 800x960 8 bit @ 50Hz. Fuck all. You repartition so you can have a Windows drive and install XP there so you can research how to make this junk work. You finally get X11 going right, but it won't do 95Hz for some reason. Asking on forums, nobody will ever help you to get it going... instead they all say "RTFM NOOB." There is no manual for X11. After 3 months you finally learned how to make your NIC work... buy a different one. Yours is about a year old... far too new!! Never mind the fact that it's one of the most common ones, but nobody bothered to write software for it. Oops!! At this point you realize that you tried to use Linux 3 months ago, but you've been running Windows ever since, trying to figure out how to make Linux run.

I wonder what goes into the head next...

Aloone, if you want some UNIX that isn't like pulling teeth to use, go find yourself a used Power Mac (Wegener Media sells blue G3s for $100) and install Mac OS X.
Go the fuck ~

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #62 on: 4 February 2006, 20:44 »
Quote from: hm_murdock

Some people want to just use their goddamn computer and not fuck around with all this stupid shit.
So use
Quote from: worker201
synaptic or smart or apt-get or something like that
?
And that doesn't mean stop the world from revolving until everyone drops their package managers and picks up Aloone_Jonez's choice of package manger, jevux. People who like Gentoo's emerge will still use Gentoo's emerge. And the people who "want to just use their goddamn computer and not fuck around with all this stupid shit" will use whatever the fuck they want to use, most likely something easy like apt-get, if that's what they want.
What I've never figured out is how OPENSTEP and Mac OS X can exist, be so popular, and NOBODY WILL EVEN TRY TO MAKE SOMETHING THAT USES THEIR METHODS.
But THERE'S NO MORE ROOM FOR ANOTHER PACKAGING FORMAT OR WE'LL ALL DIE OF CONFUSION!

Another snobbish Linux phrase!
First time I've heard it anyhow.

Choose which of eleven thousand disparate but somehow similar distros you want.
The choice usually isn't rocket science, new users usually chose between the same few, as recommended by other users.
Hope to high heaven that the software and drivers you want and need are available in an "installer package" format that this damn thing uses.
Few new GNU/Linux users have to worry about drivers. Linux supports (and usually supports well) boat-loads of hardware which will usually be detected and configured automatically.
Download 80 ISOs. Burn them. One of them was bad. Download it again. Burn it. Boot with the first one. SHIT. Somebody decided to use some new fancy-pants Linux boot CD format that isn't compatible with your machine. WTF? Give up on that one, try a different distro. It only comes on DVD and you don't have a DVD drive. Look for another. Finally give up and get Ubuntu or Fedora or something.
"WTF?" You said it. I wonder what percentage of new users start on something that isn't "Ubuntu or Fedora or something".
Your NIC doesn't work. At all. X11 will only run at 800x960 8 bit @ 50Hz. Fuck all. You repartition so you can have a Windows drive and install XP there so you can research how to make this junk work. You finally get X11 going right, but it won't do 95Hz for some reason. Asking on forums, nobody will ever help you to get it going... instead they all say "RTFM NOOB." There is no manual for X11.
man xorg.conf, NOOB! :p

After 3 months you finally learned how to make your NIC work... buy a different one. Yours is about a year old... far too new!!

Never mind the fact that it's one of the most common ones, but nobody bothered to write software for it.
Ha. Ha. What NIC are we talking about here?
Aloone, if you want some UNIX that isn't like pulling teeth to use, go find yourself a used Power Mac (Wegener Media sells blue G3s for $100) and install Mac OS X.
Why EXACTLY do you think GNU/Linux is like "pulling teeth" to use?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #63 on: 4 February 2006, 22:59 »
I don't get it ... all the package managers I've used so far are quite easy to use ... I don't see a problem with there not being a single package distribution method. There are even different ways to distribute the same package ... for example most rpm packages from the livna Fedora repo actually have a source code tarball and a few install scripts inside them and are compiled when you install them, while rpms typically contain binaries ...

it's like saying lets all switch to using .zip for all our archives ... there's no real point ... each has their own strength and weaknesses ... even if you wanted to, you could not decide on which packaging system is best, or if you did you would be doing so arbitrarily not logically

Orethrius

« Reply #64 on: 5 February 2006, 00:38 »
Logically speaking, we should *all* be using 7-zip, if only for the compression ratios.  :cool:

System Vitals

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #65 on: 5 February 2006, 02:28 »
Okay, know how you just said that you want lots of choices in installer package formats? Yeah. Well, you just told him that he should be using apt-get, which uses ONE format, and if he wants something else, he needs to re-think what he wants. Then, you told him he should just build from source. Foot. In. Mouth. You whined that him wanting something that improves the quality and value of Linux is "fascist", but then you turn around and tell him that his way of doing things is wrong. Good one.
Sounds like my intentions weren't clear.  What I suggest is using some sort of package manager, whichever suits you best, to manage as much as you can.  For the few programs that aren't available from your package manager's repos, if you really need something, you can just build from source, because that will always be workable.  OpenOffice or X11 - you should never have to try to build those from source, because they are available from like 10 different package management systems.  However, occasionally, you will want a program/library that isn't in your pms (!) - gdal or grass for example.  Or one of the packages you want isn't properly built by the distributor - such as transcode from Dag, with improper png support.  Then you build from source.  
Some people want to just use their goddamn computer and not fuck around with all this stupid shit. What I've never figured out is how OPENSTEP and Mac OS X can exist, be so popular, and NOBODY WILL EVEN TRY TO MAKE SOMETHING THAT USES THEIR METHODS. We tried it with GenSTEP... and I believe Komodo uses a similar system, so don't fret Aloone, someone's on your side.
1. I still have GenStep wallpaper on my computer, and I use it from time to time.
2. I have no problem with people building computer systems that suit their needs and match their ideals - in fact, I support it.  What I do have a problem with is demanding that an existing system meet their needs.  I happen to like Linux the way it is.  And if you don't, thats cool, whateva.  But if you change Linux to suit your needs in a way that tramples on my needs, then we have a problem.  That's all I'm saying.
Another snobbish Linux phrase! What if he's NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG?
Then he wouldn't have any problems.  It sounds snotty, but it isn't.  A computer will do exactly what you tell it to do.  If it doesn't do what you ask, then you asked incorrectly.  That's how computers work.

Don't make this harder than it is.  Regardless of what you might think, or have heard on the net, Linux does "just work".  But don't think that means you will be composing TeX documents within 5 minutes of booting the installation disk, because you will quickly be disappointed.  You have to work at it.  With an Apple, you can take the computer out of the box and be working in 10 minutes.  Linux is not like that, and if it was, it wouldn't be Linux.

Choose which of eleven thousand disparate but somehow similar distros you want. Hope to high heaven that the software and drivers you want and need are available in an "installer package" format that this damn thing uses. Download 80 ISOs. Burn them. One of them was bad. Download it again. Burn it. Boot with the first one. SHIT. Somebody decided to use some new fancy-pants Linux boot CD format that isn't compatible with your machine. WTF? Give up on that one, try a different distro. It only comes on DVD and you don't have a DVD drive. Look for another. Finally give up and get Ubuntu or Fedora or something. Download 11.46 million ISOs and burn them. Install it. Your NIC doesn't work. At all. X11 will only run at 800x960 8 bit @ 50Hz. Fuck all. You repartition so you can have a Windows drive and install XP there so you can research how to make this junk work. You finally get X11 going right, but it won't do 95Hz for some reason. Asking on forums, nobody will ever help you to get it going... instead they all say "RTFM NOOB." There is no manual for X11. After 3 months you finally learned how to make your NIC work... buy a different one. Yours is about a year old... far too new!! Never mind the fact that it's one of the most common ones, but nobody bothered to write software for it. Oops!!
Sounds okay to me - it's all for fun, right?  It is for me, anyway.
Jimmy, I mailed you a Fedora DVD.  Paid for the shipping costs out of my own pocket.  Shame on you for saying how anti-community I am.

I downloaded Vector Linux this weekend.  To prove how nice a guy I am, I am going to install it, and then outfit it.  So if anybody has anything specific they want me to go over, let me know.  Open Office and Opera are already on the list.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #66 on: 5 February 2006, 02:45 »
Quote from: Orethrius
Logically speaking, we should *all* be using 7-zip, if only for the compression ratios.  :cool:

There are also not so good things about 7-zip ... like the processor usage goes to 100% while making an archive ... is that normal :confused:

Orethrius

« Reply #67 on: 5 February 2006, 03:17 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
There are also not so good things about 7-zip ... like the processor usage goes to 100% while making an archive ... is that normal :confused:

Actually, I was referring to 7za more than the 7zFMn, but I think I know what you mean.  I used to have that problem with the CLI on occassion, and I fixed it somehow, but I don't remember what config file where did it.  :(

My best suggestion is to stop using the GUI, since it has a bad process leak or something on that order that makes it use way more CPU cycles than it needs.

System Vitals

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #68 on: 5 February 2006, 03:20 »
there's a gui for it ? ... I use command line ... maybe there's an option to limit how much processing power it uses ? ... or maybe my install is bad ?

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #69 on: 5 February 2006, 06:59 »
just renice other tasks.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #70 on: 5 February 2006, 18:55 »
Jimmy, I mailed you a Fedora DVD. Paid for the shipping costs out of my own pocket. Shame on you for saying how anti-community I am.

I didn't say you were anti-community. What I did say is that sometimes the community can be quite hostile toward new ideas.

Not every idea, and not every time. But there are certain issues that I see a large number of people dislike. Methods of getting software in to Linux is one of those things.
Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #71 on: 5 February 2006, 20:05 »
Quote from: Worker201
OpenOffice or X11 - you should never have to try to build those from source, because they are available from like 10 different package management systems.

OpenOffice is rpm only.

Quote from: Worker201
Linux does "just work"

Of course it does and it works well out of the box but installing shit on Linux well that's a totally different story.

Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
it's like saying lets all switch to using .zip for all our archives

But how many different archive formats do you see on the Internet?

Two, three maybe?

Exactly no one wants to fuck around with distributing their files in so many fucking different formats.

I've tried installing Opera onb Ubuntu, it fucked up.
I've tried installing codecs on Ubuntu they didn't fucking work.
I've tried OpenOffice 1.1.5 which came with a binary installer and it worked, but when I tried OO 2.0.1 which was a package it fucked up and the same applies to Vector Linux.

Packages in general are a good idea but the community should be focusing their time on developing more on developing one or even two different systems that are compatable rather than loads of shitty ones.

Quote from: JimmyJamesRoolz
Not every idea, and not every time. But there are certain issues that I see a large number of people dislike. Methods of getting software in to Linux is one of those things.

You're right, I'm right we both know we're right so let's just accept that no one's going to liston because we're right.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #72 on: 5 February 2006, 20:20 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez

You're right, I'm right we both know we're right so let's just accept that no one's going to liston because we're right.
No, you THINK you're right just the same we we THINK we're right.
Packages in general are a good idea but the community should be focusing their time on developing more on developing one or even two different systems that are compatable rather than loads of shitty ones.
Xorg, GNOME, and hundreds more packages that work with GNU/Linux are released by the developers only in ONE source format, yet you see them on a fuckload of distributions.

GET YOU'RE PACKAGES (OpenOffice WTF were you thinking?) OFF YOUR DISTRIBUTOR, THAT'S WHY THEY PROVIDE THEM.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

SkyNet

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #73 on: 5 February 2006, 21:26 »
:tux:   says:  damn man, all this shit about pkg management fucking up is usually user error, not the OS. Granted dependency hell is there just like RPM hell... but I digress.   opera on ubuntu.. download the fucking file from operadotcom...  open terminal... sudo apt-get install o(TAB for filename completion) and hit enter.. type in your fucking password and its done.. How fucking hard is that?

Again, pkg management is not fucked up, its usually the user. Blaming the OS is like trying to sue the car maker because you can't figure out how to use the fucking horn.. RTFM     :tux:

:tux:  :tux:  :tux:

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #74 on: 5 February 2006, 22:25 »
Not my fault it fucked up I downloaded the correct Opera package for my distro and followed the instructions to the letter and it didn't work. I also followed Piratepenguin's instructions when installing the codec package and it just didn't work.

I've managed to get FireFox 1.5 and OpenOffice 1.1.5 to work with no problems and DOSEmu installed well too it's just those fucking stupid packages that fuck up on me.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: