Author Topic: XBox 360  (Read 4165 times)

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
Re: XBox 360
« Reply #30 on: 27 December 2005, 23:55 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I have not.
It couldn't possibly be dangerous for me to try the battery from this computer on it, could it?
That might be worth trying some day.

yeah you could. it's the same battery.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #31 on: 28 December 2005, 01:41 »
Well I tried the old computer with this battery and it still wouldn't work.
BTW, this computer would still boot perfectly without a battery.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

msdos6

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #32 on: 28 December 2005, 02:20 »
Well, I got a new computer and that old computer is trashed, so there is no need to continue the packard bell issue.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #33 on: 28 December 2005, 04:43 »
Quote from: etement
I'd like to see that. (links?)

If your CMOS dies, that means your mobo won't post (and cannot even supply a clock for the CPU) and you aren't able to do anything at all unless you buy a new CMOS chip from the manufacturer or you hotflash it from an idtentical board...or buy a new motherboard.

It's not that the CMOS chip was dead, but the onboard battery that stores information for the CMOS/BIOS/POST was drained.  I don't know about modern CMOS setups, but back in the Packard Bell heyday, the main problem with a dead CMOS battery was that your computer could not remember your hard drive specs.  RAM and processor would still run, but the computer couldn't find a hard disk, and couldn't do anything.  The key was to go into the BIOS and input the hard drive info by hand  (number of sectors, cylinders, etc).  It usually wasn't enough to boot Windows, but it would be good enough to get a DOS prompt and copy stuff to floppies.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #34 on: 28 December 2005, 06:28 »
I thought you meant the actual chip when you referred to CMOS. I didn't know you meant the battery.