Author Topic: Finding The Right OS  (Read 3091 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: Finding The Right OS
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2005, 02:57 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Seriously though you sound like the kind of person who'd prefer a Mac, I haven't used one for any great length of time but I'm told it's the best option if you want something easy to use, stable and secure.

Agreed.  OSX is one of the finest operating systems ever made, in my opinion.  And Apple hardware is good too.  It is super-easy to use - in fact, I had problems when I started with it, because I assumed that some tasks would be much harder to accomplish than they actually were.  But then you pop open X11 or a terminal, and you're basically using a Linux machine.  If you want to - if not, the you don't ever have to see it.  Worth every penny.

BTW, there are plenty of nice IM clients that don't screw you with extras - Trillian is the one I use in Windows, and it supports Yahoo! and AOL.  Gaim for Linux, Adium for OSX.  No need to install crappy programs like AOL or Ymessenger.

BTW2 - Jenda, I have heard a lot of veteran Linux users complain about Ubuntu.  I've never used it myself, so I don't know shit about it.  I've heard good things from newbs, and bad things from vets.  That's all I was saying there.

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
« Reply #16 on: 24 December 2005, 10:24 »
Quote from: worker201
OSX sounds like exactly what you are looking for - too bad it isn't available for PCs.  Yet.

Ubuntu seems to be great for beginners.  New users love it, seasoned users hate it.  Sounds like a good place to start to me.

OSX is available for x86_(64?). It's not available in retail but you can download it and tweak it for it to run nice on your custom built desktop. It even works with SSE2 only processors. However I would still as you recommend Ubuntu as a GNU/Linux distro. But, I wouldn't recommend it if you game a lot. A good idea is to check Wine's and Cedega's database against supported games before you get into business. And remember that Cedega is payware (free cvs sucks). On the other hand you could get an Xbox360 or a standard Xbox to play on which I think is much better.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #17 on: 24 December 2005, 17:33 »
Mac OS X is NOT "available for IA32/IA64. It's designed to run on Apple-branded development machines, and the "final version" will be dependent on Apple hardware as well.

Apple has no intention of becoming an OS vendor. They're simply switching their processors from PPC to IA32.

Do NOT consider running a cracked version of Mac OS X on a generic PC. There's a LOT of work involved that requires prior knowledge of UNIX.
Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #18 on: 25 December 2005, 14:33 »
This change might be a good thing, will it improve the speed of of the Windows software emulation?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #19 on: 25 December 2005, 22:25 »
This change might be a good thing, will it improve the speed of of the Windows software emulation?
I'd guess that you could run Windows on the intel macs (you can on the development ones, and I haven't heard that Apple will change this on the final macs), and that wine should work even better for it after a bit ('cause it's like running wine in an x86 GNU/Linux computer, I think).
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #20 on: 25 December 2005, 23:22 »
Quote from: RaZoR1394
OSX is available for x86_(64?). It's not available in retail but you can download it and tweak it for it to run nice on your custom built desktop. It even works with SSE2 only processors. However I would still as you recommend Ubuntu as a GNU/Linux distro. But, I wouldn't recommend it if you game a lot. A good idea is to check Wine's and Cedega's database against supported games before you get into business. And remember that Cedega is payware (free cvs sucks). On the other hand you could get an Xbox360 or a standard Xbox to play on which I think is much better.

The pitiful OSX on Intel machines is just some cracked version of the developer preview. The majority of all mac apps aren't compiled for it, so you're stuck with the bundled software.

But you can always get Darwin, or BSD.

:macos: on IA32 =  :(

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #21 on: 26 December 2005, 02:12 »
The cracked version of the development system requires you to install Darwin first. It's a pain.
Go the fuck ~

ReggieMicheals

• Kudos: 228
    • http://osadvocacy.frih.net/
« Reply #22 on: 26 December 2005, 18:04 »
Reggie,
This post illustrates how little you know about the various distributions of Linux Fedora and Ununtu are both fairly easy to use an example of a more hardcore distro might be Slackware.

How many distros have you actually tried?
Not many going by this post, so don't you think you've been a bit quick to judge Linux?
I myself have tried Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu before. Debian was slow. Fedora was okay, but still slower than Windows 2000 on my old PC(I've been focusing on Macs for a while). Ubuntu still gave me near same performance with Fedora, though it was slightly faster. I then gave FreeBSD a shot and it gave me acceptable performance, and I will soon be replacing Windows with OS/2(My newer PC[custom made] will handle the games). With these OSes, I can have a wider range of availble software working at the speeds they were meant to have...
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #23 on: 26 December 2005, 19:48 »
Quote from: ReggieMicheals
I myself have tried Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu before. Debian was slow. Fedora was okay, but still slower than Windows 2000 on my old PC(I've been focusing on Macs for a while). Ubuntu still gave me near same performance with Fedora, though it was slightly faster. I then gave FreeBSD a shot and it gave me acceptable performance, and I will soon be replacing Windows with OS/2(My newer PC[custom made] will handle the games). With these OSes, I can have a wider range of availble software working at the speeds they were meant to have...

You must have done something wrong. Debian is fast.

And who the hell wants to actually use something as obsolete as OS/2?
It was obsolete when it came out, and it sure as hell is now.

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #24 on: 27 December 2005, 17:56 »
Quote from: TonyFordz

I would go back to Mac, but it has been so dam long since I have used one, and the prices are outrageous compared to PCs. Though in many ways a Mac will smoke a PC any day.

I would suggest considering it. They really aren't much more expensive then other oem computers

I never imagined myself advertising for Apple, but ever since I bought my 12" Powerbook, I've liked em.

You get the power of Unix hidden behind apple's infamous interface, without losing any real unix features (except a crippled X11, but that's another story)

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #25 on: 27 December 2005, 18:37 »
XFree86 has a OSX port as well. You don't have to use Apple's X11.

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #26 on: 27 December 2005, 18:50 »
any chance of X.org?

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #27 on: 27 December 2005, 19:10 »
I would suggest considering it. They really aren't much more expensive then other oem computers

I never imagined myself advertising for Apple, but ever since I bought my 12" Powerbook, I've liked em.

You get the power of Unix hidden behind apple's infamous interface, without losing any real unix features (except a crippled X11, but that's another story)

Infamous?

As for X11... who gives a fuck? And how is it crippled? It can do exactly what you need it to do when running X on X.

Nothing.

X11 isn't needed for a damn thing. Hell, I don't even like the way X11 is implemented by anybody. I'd rather the OS simply treat each X11 app like any other app, each with its own Dock icon.

Even then, I'd still avoid X11 apps like the plague. Ugly, non-standard, and usually buggy. Nearly all are shoddy ports, and the ones that aren't are lackluster to begin wih. CHEAP.
Go the fuck ~

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #28 on: 27 December 2005, 19:52 »
Quote from: hm_murdock
Infamous?

As for X11... who gives a fuck? And how is it crippled? It can do exactly what you need it to do when running X on X.

Nothing.

X11 isn't needed for a damn thing. Hell, I don't even like the way X11 is implemented by anybody. I'd rather the OS simply treat each X11 app like any other app, each with its own Dock icon.

Even then, I'd still avoid X11 apps like the plague. Ugly, non-standard, and usually buggy. Nearly all are shoddy ports, and the ones that aren't are lackluster to begin wih. CHEAP.

Apple should create some kind of SDK for converting X apps to cacoa or whatever it is called.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #29 on: 27 December 2005, 20:01 »
I don't think that's possible because X apps draw their own widgets or use a separate library like GTK+.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: