Author Topic: Vista won't work with regionless DVD drives  (Read 3045 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Re: Vista won't work with regionless DVD drives
« Reply #15 on: 8 January 2006, 04:27 »
Quote from: worker201
That's the thing about copyrighted content - even if you sell it, you don't "sell" it.  I paid to have a private copy of "The Two Towers", but I sure as heck don't own it in any sense of the word.

Respecfully, I disagree.  You are believing what the MPAA and the RIAA has been saying, not what copyright law says.  Don't believe them.  

Someone sells a copy, they sell a copy.  Period.  Copyright law only covers the rights to copy something.  Media and software companies are trying to get people to believe that you don't own what you buy.  Don't believe them.  Don't accept their philosophy, which has nothing to do with justice and morality, but solely is a doctrine to conveniently make them more money and force you to buy things more than once.  

I own the copies of Win98 and Office 97 that I paid for, no matter what MS says.  I own all my CD's no matter what the RIAA and SONY are trying to tell us.  I don't own the rights to copy and distribute (beyond what is covered in fair use doctrine).  If companies start to whine that content is "their intellectual property" beyond what conventional copyright law covers, they should just keep their precious "intellectual property" to themselves.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #16 on: 8 January 2006, 15:09 »
Vista also won't work with AthlonXP/Durons... I don't know if this is because MS is in bed with Intel, or because SSE2 will be that fundamental to run it.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #17 on: 9 January 2006, 00:51 »
Quote from: etement
Vista also won't work with AthlonXP/Durons... I don't know if this is because MS is in bed with Intel, or because SSE2 will be that fundamental to run it.

Well, I'm not upgrading to it, so that just reassures me why I'm not upgrading. ;)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #18 on: 9 January 2006, 00:58 »
Vista also won't work with AthlonXP/Durons...
Incredible.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #19 on: 9 January 2006, 03:04 »
You know an OS is good when the hardware it requires is has ether barely been relesed or has yet to be.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #20 on: 9 January 2006, 04:12 »
Well all those bells and whistles don't just render themselves now, do they?

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #21 on: 9 January 2006, 08:06 »

I really have a hard time believing that MS would be so stupid as to throw away all the AMD users, or that AMD would sit idly by and be left behind.  Do you have a link to this?
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #22 on: 9 January 2006, 22:41 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
Respecfully, I disagree. You are believing what the MPAA and the RIAA has been saying, not what copyright law says. Don't believe them.

Someone sells a copy, they sell a copy. Period. Copyright law only covers the rights to copy something. Media and software companies are trying to get people to believe that you don't own what you buy. Don't believe them. Don't accept their philosophy, which has nothing to do with justice and morality, but solely is a doctrine to conveniently make them more money and force you to buy things more than once.

I own the copies of Win98 and Office 97 that I paid for, no matter what MS says. I own all my CD's no matter what the RIAA and SONY are trying to tell us. I don't own the rights to copy and distribute (beyond what is covered in fair use doctrine). If companies start to whine that content is "their intellectual property" beyond what conventional copyright law covers, they should just keep their precious "intellectual property" to themselves.

Well, perhaps the status of ownership and transferability of rights is not quite so clear when it comes to music and movies.  But by agreeing to Microsoft's EULA, you are signing a legal contract which says that you don't actually own the software, and therefore cannot do anything with it except install it.  I'd relate this back to the original discussion, but I can't remember what the point was ;)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #23 on: 10 January 2006, 03:56 »
I've flashed 4 drives. Some Sony dvds supposedly won't play on 'modified' drives, but I have free software that got around that. (VLC). Even if Vista refuses to recognize the drive, it's still software, and software can be 'patched'. Some of the old cd drives weren't bootable. If you wanted to install Win95 or 98 you were forced to boot from a floppy first.

IsoBuster bypasses Windows and hardware drm now. I've force read commercial dvds that way.

Vista is a dead end if this is the way it's going.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #24 on: 10 January 2006, 04:28 »

Wow ... yet another reason not to switch ... maybe we should look for reasons to switch ... there are far fewer of them

I mean I want an Athlon for my next computer (it seems to be superior to a comparably priced intel chip) ... is Gates really going to force me to get an Intel instead ? ... only if I buy Vista

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #25 on: 10 January 2006, 12:54 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Wow ... yet another reason not to switch ... maybe we should look for reasons to switch ... there are far fewer of them

I mean I want an Athlon for my next computer (it seems to be superior to a comparably priced intel chip) ... is Gates really going to force me to get an Intel instead ? ... only if I buy Vista

no. gates will force you to go a64.;)

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2006, 23:07 »
Bah. That's just too expensive, because that requires a whole new computer. :rolleyes:

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #27 on: 16 January 2006, 18:52 »
Actually if you look it up on google, Vista does work with Athlons ... but I changed my mind about Athlons for one reason ... 'Intel processors have a slowdown/shutdown circuit that will keep it from overheating.' ... most Athlons don't ... well unless you have your motherboard set up so it cuts the power to the AMD processor before it burns ... Intel on the other hand just slows the processor speed ... a much better solution in my opinion.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #28 on: 16 January 2006, 22:11 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Actually if you look it up on google, Vista does work with Athlons ... but I changed my mind about Athlons for one reason ... 'Intel processors have a slowdown/shutdown circuit that will keep it from overheating.' ... most Athlons don't ... well unless you have your motherboard set up so it cuts the power to the AMD processor before it burns ... Intel on the other hand just slows the processor speed ... a much better solution in my opinion.

Note that overheating is only an issue if you overclock, or you live on Venus, or think heatsinks are 'so 1999'.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #29 on: 16 January 2006, 22:32 »
Well you gotta overclock ... I mean why not overclock ? ... ok then let's put it this way ... Intels are probably better for overclocking ...