Author Topic: Linsux and Winbloze - There is no decent operating system for the PC!  (Read 4831 times)

savet

• Kudos: 228
quote:
I will however, continue to duel boot me system. I will check out the linmodem stuff too. I'm glad my PC came with Winbloze because if I had bought a blank PC, I would be fucked, unless I installed Winbloze.
How could I have got Linsux to work then?
If I didn't have a Winbloze CD I would've borrowed one and the removed it when I found a driver for my modem. These no legal way to set up a blank PC with Linsux!

One way would be to purchase a modem that isn't hard wired into the system.  I've got a few spare modems floating around that I've pulled out of old computers.  If you want one, I'll send one to you for the cost of shipping.  One other thing to consider though, is that if your ISP requires special software (such as AOL, MSN, etc) Linux may not work.  I've never tried using such programs with Wine.

quote:

How the Fuck do you do that?
I'm a newB remember.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  This was meant to give you something to read up as you get familiar with your Linux system, assuming you decided to continue running Linux.  A search on Google will turn up plenty of tutorials.

Also, on a side note, the mounting of the cdrom and floppy has a purpose.  It's actually built in because Linux is a multi user operating system.  It's designed to prevent another user from removing media that someone else is using.  Given time, you'll be typing "mount /mnt/floppy" without even thinking about it.  It's like driving a manual transmission.  People who aren't used to it will complain about how much of a pain the clutch is, when in fact, you have more control over the engine.  Mount is similar in this respect.

Regarding the family using Linux...this tends to be a non-issue when switching people over, in my experience.  The difficulty in switching to Linux is in the configuration.  Once configured, it runs and runs and runs, little to no maintenance.  In switching your family to openoffice.org, you've already tackled one of the hardest parts: new software.  From here, it's just learning the menu structure (which you can customize to fit their needs).  Hopefully you've also already started switching them to Mozilla instead of IE.
You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me...

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
quote:
Blow up Winbloze?
Imagine the newspaper article
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Col

• Kudos: 0
quote:
Originally posted by enjoijeff:
Gee whiz. You can't just start using your computer right away because you are waiting for all your applications to load... That always made me mad because I always had to wait an extra like 30 seconds to a minute sometimes more for that...

Bah, that's nothing. I really hate it when you bot up, everything looks fine after that life-long wait, and an error message comes up:

"Windows encountered an error while processing the system registry. Windows will now reboot and correct this problem"

It's something like that anyway. Why the hell does it have to reboot? Why for God's sake didn't it fix the problem when it first noticed it?!   :mad:

[ June 02, 2004: Message edited by: Col ]

Humans are like machines. A dead man is a computer with Windows XP!

Nothing to do with the TV programme! Don't blame me for the name - it was put into a vote!

solarismka

quote:
Originally posted by Col:

Bah, that's nothing. I really hate it when you bot up, everything looks fine after that life-long wait, and an error message comes up:

"Windows encountered an error while processing the system registry. Windows will now reboot and correct this problem"

It's something like that anyway. Why the hell does it have to reboot? Why for God's sake didn't it fix the problem when it first noticed it?!    :mad:  

[ June 02, 2004: Message edited by: Col ]

Hehe I remember getting TONS of those.  It made me sooo mad!

I find that if you have an av/anti-virus scanner or a fire wall, windows gets EXTREAMLY dicy.  If you patch windows, eather py patching the os itself or updating the dat files.  I found that I had imediate problems.  To the point that if I was infected in some way it wouldn't of made a difference.  

But I did learn a few things.  Just by keeping windows completely off the net.  Not installing ANY "3rd party" software (just use the basic m$ stuff which wasn't allot) and keep scandisking, checking and rebuilt (hardware checking every month or so) would mean that even win95 can be just as stable and even more secure than windowsXP!   :D    
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

PseudoRandomDragon

• http://www.geocities.com/zonealarmprov4/index.htm
In the bloated respect, Redhat is like WinXP. To get rid of the bloat you need to compile your own kernel. Thing is, I don't know how to do it, you don't know how to do it and all newbies don't know how to do it.
I am sofa king high. (Read out loud)

WMD

• Global Moderator
quote:
In the bloated respect, Redhat is like WinXP.

WHAT?  Certainly not.  Mandrake is more bloated than Redhat...I installed Mdk and had 85 processes running (with KDE), and Fedora with KDE was 65.  But indeed, the default kernel is a bloat problem.

quote:
Thing is, I don't know how to do it, you don't know how to do it and all newbies don't know how to do it.

When I was a n00b I learned how within a week    though it may be tougher with today's hardware.  Also, kernel 2.6 will speed everything up, though it currently has a nasty problem that messes up dual boots, so don't touch that for the moment.  
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

solarismka

quote:
Originally posted by WMD:

When I was a n00b I learned how within a week     though it may be tougher with today's hardware.  Also, kernel 2.6 will speed everything up, though it currently has a nasty problem that messes up dual boots, so don't touch that for the moment.    

yea, I agree!  I think I waited for the 2.4 kernel hit around the teens.  Think i'm gonna do that for the 2.6 as well      
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Col

quote:
Originally posted by WMD:

Nope.  You have to edit c:\msdos.sys, and add a line called Splash=o to it.  Can't remember what section, though.

Tell that to the people at Winguides!
Humans are like machines. A dead man is a computer with Windows XP!

Nothing to do with the TV programme! Don't blame me for the name - it was put into a vote!

WMD

• Global Moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Col:

Tell that to the people at Winguides!

Sounds like a good idea, and would fit in with me because I like telling people how to fix stuff when they should know already.  :D

However, helping Windows...is not in our interests here.  
My BSOD gallery

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Ok I'm an idiot, perhaps  Linux doesn't suck quite so much after all!

Sorry, I should have been more patient with Linux!
Sorry, WMD if you thought my last post was dumb, the last bit was a joke though, well in fact the whole post sucked. I often say silly things when I'm pissed off, I just was just a bit fed-up and disappointed. I was expecting some sort of miracle OS that would solve all the problems I had with Microcock Winbloze Xpee!
The last thing I expected was more problems!

Oh by the way I've had a play around with Linux on a friend's computer, it looks pretty smart to me!
The games look cool and they run reasonably fast too! (well it is a 2.5GHz 1GB RAM monster so I'm not going to get my hopes up too much, I mean it's nearly powerful enough to run Wronghorn!)
Linux proberly wasn't keen on my computer it has a label on the case that says
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

insomnia

quote:
Originally posted by Aloone:
Me and my family purchased a PC about 2 months ago (not brill 1800MHz AMD 256MB RAM 40GB hard drive), it came with Microcock Winbolze Xpee already installed. It ran well for all of 3 days, then (for no apparent reason) it started to display stupid error messages when shut down (GUI error blah...), we hadn't even connected to the Internet.

When we did connect all was well for a week (apart from the previous problem) then for some reason we contracted the netsky virus, the latest update for our virus scanner fixed it (or it said it did but we still get messages saying that some non-existent file is infected.). Now every now and again it hangs even when it's not being used!

Someone at work said to me
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

savet

• Kudos: 228
quote:
Oh by the way thanks for the offer Rio, how much would shiping cost from Indiana (US, I assume) to Bedford (UK)?, perhaps I might be better off asking the IT department at work for old modems.
I suppose the good thing about open source software is if it's bloatware you can cut the crap and recompile.

It looks like it'll be around $9 for a large (padded) envelope.  If your IT department has some, this would probably be the best bet.  I'm curious how many corporate computers still require modems though.  With VPN and SSH, there's not much reason to dial in to a computer when you can make a secure connection over the internet.  And there's not much reason to dial out when a connection can be shared over the office network.

Also...just FYI, the "Designed for Windows $_" is only good for determining exactly how bloated of an OS it will run quickly.  Unfortunately, they don't make PCs with stickers that say "Designed for Redhat Linux", or at least....I haven't seen any.

[ June 03, 2004: Message edited by: Rio ]

You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me...

WMD

• Global Moderator
quote:
Sorry, WMD if you thought my last post was dumb, the last bit was a joke though, well in fact the whole post sucked. I often say silly things when I'm pissed off, I just was just a bit fed-up and disappointed.

Hey, don't worry...that bomb part was damn funny.  I still laugh about it.  :D

quote:
Oh by the way I've had a play around with Linux on a friend's computer, it looks pretty smart to me!  The games look cool and they run reasonably fast too! (well it is a 2.5GHz 1GB RAM monster so I'm not going to get my hopes up too much, I mean it's nearly powerful enough to run Wronghorn!)

Nvidia video cards have great Linux drivers downloadable from their website.  ATI makes them too but theirs suck.

quote:
Linux proberly wasn't keen on my computer it has a label on the case that says
My BSOD gallery

solarflare

quote:
Me and my family purchased a PC about 2 months ago (not brill 1800MHz AMD 256MB RAM 40GB hard drive), it came with Microcock Winbolze Xpee already installed. It ran well for all of 3 days, then (for no apparent reason) it started to display stupid error messages when shut down (GUI error blah...), we hadn't even connected to the Internet.

When we did connect all was well for a week (apart from the previous problem) then for some reason we contracted the netsky virus, the latest update for our virus scanner fixed it (or it said it did but we still get messages saying that some non-existent file is infected.). Now every now and again it hangs even when it's not being used!

Someone at work said to me

emh

quote:
Originally posted by insomnia:

Lol
You're truly retarted.

Get a working linux system and stop acting like a stupid kid.
(or buy a PS2)

[ June 03, 2004: Message edited by: insomnia ]

That was uncalled for.....