Author Topic: Linsux and Winbloze - There is no decent operating system for the PC!  (Read 4830 times)

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
quote:
Originally posted by solarflare:

Simple solution - Buy a Mac and it will solve the problem!

Go to www.apple.com - prices start from $699!

its 799

but i agree, if those two haven't suited your needs a mac might be something to give a try.

of course try before you buy
just say know

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
I wish people would read my most resent post before having a go at me! - and buy the way I already do have a PS2, I just think it's nice to play a few games on my PC every now and then, I also like 3D screen savers!

Anyway I've finally managed to get a stable Redhat 9.0 Linux installation up and running , and I'm in the process of compiling the Pctel winmodem driver
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

savet

• Kudos: 228
Two things:

First, KDE and Gnome are quite bloated IMO, and if you want an extremely fast interface, check out Fluxbox.  A google search should provide mirrors, faqs, and themes.

Second, more manufacturers are providing drivers for Linux now.  Your best bet is to check the manufacturers website or search google for a mirror for the driver.
You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me...

zao

• Kudos: 0
"The graphics are slower in Linux than Winbloze as it doesn't support my graphics accelerator!"

What graphics accelerator do you get? Remove any 3d drivers in Windows XP, replaced it with a generic driver and compared to Linux that use generic drivers.

I have test Blender 3D on both Windows XP and Fedora Core 2. Both uses 3d graphics accelerators with noticeable increase of performace. Blender 3D initial loading is faster in Fedora Core 2 than Windows XP.

The point is it is unfair to compared system that use optimized driver with system with generic driver as it is related to the user.

Claris

• Kudos: 109
    • http://hompage.mac.com/neonsoldierx/PhotoAlbum3.html
How about we stop with all the shitty nicknames? Seriously, you people have no subtlety. It's not humorous when you say "Winbloze" or "Redtwat" or "MicroBIGFUCKINGPEICEOFSHIT". Try to downplay it a little, at least.

Personally, I think calling it "Microsoft" is insulting enough. (hint: think genitals)
Windows: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
There's a very decent operating system for the PC! It's called yellowTAB Zeta. Only problem is, there aren't much programs and games for it.
But people should definitally try it out if they dislike Windows and Linux.

Edit: if you don't want to pay for Zeta, here's a free edition of something simular on which Zeta is based. It's just as cool  ;)  BeOS Max

[ June 26, 2004: Message edited by: Refalm ]

Col

• Kudos: 0
quote:
Originally posted by Claris:
How about we stop with all the shitty nicknames? Seriously, you people have no subtlety. It's not humorous when you say "Winbloze" or "Redtwat" or "MicroBIGFUCKINGPEICEOFSHIT". Try to downplay it a little, at least.

Yeah, I agree. To be honest, I think they sound childish. Sometimes, when I'm really angry at it because it's gone wrong again, I'll call Windows a name like that, but usually I just call it Windows or Linux.

And there's another thing - settle an argument between me and a mate, lol! A childish one:

Linux. Is it promounced lie-nuks or lin-nuks?
Or something completely different?! lol! Sorry!
Humans are like machines. A dead man is a computer with Windows XP!

Nothing to do with the TV programme! Don't blame me for the name - it was put into a vote!

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
quote:
Originally posted by Col:
Linux. Is it promounced lie-nuks or lin-nuks?
Or something completely different?! lol! Sorry!

I've always said lin-nuks.  My 7th grade science teacher called it lie-nuks.  Linus, in a sound clip, says "lee-nuks."

Who knows.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
quote:
Originally posted by Rio:
Two things:

First, KDE and Gnome are quite bloated IMO, and if you want an extremely fast interface, check out Fluxbox.  A google search should provide mirrors, faqs, and themes.

Second, more manufacturers are providing drivers for Linux now.  Your best bet is to check the manufacturers website or search google for a mirror for the driver.

I've had a look, but not tried FluxBox yet, it looks cool, but thats the problem, looking cool is good but the themes and skins are what seems to slow KDE & KNOME down for me.
Is there a way to get rid of them?
If this is not possible in KDE & KNOME is it posible in FLUXBOX?

I've  recently seen an older version of Red Hat Linux running on an old 486 100MHz, and the graphics are nearly as fast as my 1800MHz machine.

quote:
Originally posted by zao:
"The graphics are slower in Linux than Winbloze as it doesn't support my graphics accelerator!"

What graphics accelerator do you get? Remove any 3d drivers in Windows XP, replaced it with a generic driver and compared to Linux that use generic drivers.

I have test Blender 3D on both Windows XP and Fedora Core 2. Both uses 3d graphics accelerators with noticeable increase of performace. Blender 3D initial loading is faster in Fedora Core 2 than Windows XP.

The point is it is unfair to compared system that use optimized driver with system with generic driver as it is related to the user.

I agree, I think you my have misunderstood me, I was saying what really sucks about Linux is the lack of graphics accelerator support for my particular graphics card, I have scoured the Internet and I still can't find a prober driver for my graphics card, this also goes for some of my other hardware e.g. printer, digital camera etc. and you can't just install a modem driver you have to compile it as well as some of the kernal.

How retardedly stupid?

I have even heard that Linux will not run at all on some computers!

quote:
Originally posted by Claris:

Personally, I think calling it "Microsoft" is insulting enough. (hint: think genitals)

I agree, I only called Red Hat Linux,
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

savet

quote:

I've had a look, but not tried FluxBox yet, it looks cool, but thats the problem, looking cool is good but the themes and skins are what seems to slow KDE & KNOME down for me.
Is there a way to get rid of them?
If this is not possible in KDE & KNOME is it posible in FLUXBOX?

I've recently seen an older version of Red Hat Linux running on an old 486 100MHz, and the graphics are nearly as fast as my 1800MHz machine.

The great thing about Fluxbox is that it's attributes are based on text based config files.

So a flashy looking fluxbox is going to run much faster than a bare bones gnome or kde.

FYI, check out http://dockapps.org for the applications that show cpu load, free memory, etc.

Also, the transparent terminals you see are either aterm or eterm.  I've always preferred aterm http://aterm.sourceforge.net

Good luck with Fluxbox

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
As a Microsoft supporter all I have to say is those terms don't piss me off at all. I find them rather childish. I would never be inclined to take the advice of people who act like 12 year olds. I would be more likely to switch if I was taking the advice of a person who acts like a mature adult who knows what he is talking about.

I think it is childish to call anything silly names. I would never take a windows zealot seriously if he was going around calling Linux names like Linsucks, Lamenux, etc. The internet would be a better place if there were more mature adults around.

flap

• Kudos: 137
quote:
The great thing about Fluxbox is that it's attributes are based on text based config files.

And KDE/Gnome don't use text based config files?
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
quote:
I have scoured the Internet and I still can't find a prober driver for my graphics card

What card is this?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
the names are shitty, dude. drop 'em.

anyway, don't bitch about things not working. I'm a badass 'cos I run Red Hat 8, and I'm beating it into submission.

tell us what your hardware is so we can actually help you instead of just saying "my video card"

if you've got a storebought machine, I'll wager that it's some form of integrated video. likely Intel 810... in which case, you should have an accelerated server for that.
Go the fuck ~

savet

quote:
And KDE/Gnome don't use text based config files?

Dunno.  They probably do.  But all the eye candy definately takes it's toll.  It's been at least a year since I've used either KDE or Gnome for more than 5 minutes...so I'm can't say how they handle things now.  I should have probably clarified that though.  Fluxbox has config files that are easy for the user to edit.  It may be for lack of looking, but I've only seen programs designed to change the look and feel of KDE or Gnome.  I guess I just like the minimalist approach to Fluxbox and Blackbox.