Author Topic: Sony Settlement  (Read 1364 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Sony Settlement
« on: 8 January 2006, 03:33 »
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/06/01/07/1856222.shtml?tid=233&tid=123

Basically, Sony is going to settle it class action lawsuit brought about by its reckless fucking over of its honest customers by giving them, ta da, seven dollars worth of music downloads, which in the end costs Sony corporation nothing at all.

What complete bullshit.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: Sony Settlement
« Reply #1 on: 8 January 2006, 03:37 »
Haha.  Replacing DRMed music with *more* DRMed music.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #2 on: 8 January 2006, 04:39 »
Where does Sony get off justifying the cost of replacement of a CD at $3.75, then turning around and suing filesharers for seventy-five thousand dollars PER SONG, anyhow?

Everybody - I mean everybody - that gives two shits about their personal liberty needs to read, alter for their local jurisdiction, and submit that letter near the bottom.  I know I will - after all, how much more clearly can it be said?

Here's the letter, quoted for those who missed it.

#Open letter to Judge...(Score:3)
by TheRealStyro (233246) on Saturday January 07, @05:41PM (#14418456)

Dear Judge [insert name here]. I have read that you have tentatively approved a settlement for lawsuits against [insert evil company name here]. The proposed settlement has struck me as being very generous to [insert evil company name here] for the infection of millions of computers with software that causes numerous security and stability issues. So I thought I would write this letter to try to convince you to increase fines & fees against [insert evil company name here] as well as produce actual useful compensation for the owners of computers that have been infected.

Imagine yourself in the following situation. You are the proud owner of a fine specimen of canine pedigree. In fact, to call it a dog would be a great insult. It is the love of your life and you have carefully trained it to be obedient & loving. You want it to live a long life so you feed it some food that is advertised as being very good for the health. Initially your pet loves the new food and everything is great. Then one day your loving pet starts getting violently ill & lethargic. You read that others pets that have eaten the same food are also sick. You contact the company and due to the public outcry they will send out an agent to help your pet. The company agent eventually comes out and after inspecting your sick pet he declares that he knows of a simple fix to get your pet moving again - he then takes a short run and kicks your poor pet in the rear. As your pet goes running off howling he claims the animal is now well and leaves. Soon after, you realize your pet is gravely ill and you must put it down. As you and other pet owners are discussing the outcome, you become outraged at such a heartless and cruel response from the company and start a large lawsuit. After months of talks and discussion you read a Judge will approve a settlement. You are thinking that the painful death of your beloved pet will not be in vain and that the evil company will be punished severely. Then you read the settlement agreement - the company will give you a free feral cat as well as one of two 'incentive' packages. Package one is $5 and 200 pounds of healthy cat food. Package two is your choice of three flavors of large boxes of healthy cat food. Needless to say you are again outraged and wish no end of poxes and plagues on the person and families of the Judge and company CEO.

Now, honorable Judge [insert name here], I ask you to please reconsider the flawed proposed settlement against [insert evil company name here]. The victims of this tragedy deserve so much more compensation, and [insert evil company name here] deserve so much more punishment.

Thank you.

The preceding is a fictional letter that would be sent if my computer(s) had been infected and I lived within the jurisdiction of this Judge.

The company written in the second paragraph of this article is in no manner representative of any company existing, having existed or existing in the future. In fact, the whole second paragraph is just an interesting fictional story inserted into a fictional letter for no reason at all save for extending said letter.
[ Reply to This ]

* 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2006, 22:19 »
The world is fucked. If I EVER buy a cd and I need to use some player thst's included to play it, I WILL take it back. If they refuse to refund me, I will stand there, snap it and walk out. I do buy cd's occasionally, I like having the actual disk there at times.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.