Author Topic: Switching to Windows: Not as easy as you think  (Read 4480 times)

noob

• Kudos: 74
Re: Switching to Windows: Not as easy as you think
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2006, 18:47 »
The main difference between Windows and Linux is under Linux, the installed program works after installation.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2006, 19:04 »
I've heard some shitty things about linspire, but refalm's screenshot makes it look kinda inviting.  What desktop and/or window manager does it use?

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2006, 19:08 »
Quote from: worker201
I've heard some shitty things about linspire, but refalm's screenshot makes it look kinda inviting.  What desktop and/or window manager does it use?
KDE, and that theme is the reason I used to hate KDE...
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2006, 19:11 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
KDE, and that theme is the reason I used to hate KDE...

Name of the theme, please.

What would you prefer?  Let's see a screenshot!

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: 19 January 2006, 19:47 »
I don't remember, and I couldn't find it on kde-look.org, but I think it was one of the alternative themes Mandrake provided. I think it's kinda popular.

What would you prefer?  Let's see a screenshot!
No problem.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 19 January 2006, 20:53 »

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #21 on: 20 January 2006, 03:02 »
And the Fedora Core installer ... it's quite understandable I think ...

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #22 on: 20 January 2006, 05:38 »
Quote from: Refalm
The easiest Linux's now are Ubuntu and Linspire, and this is how you install software on them:
Ubuntu

Linspire

And if the program you are looking for is somehow not on the list, it's common that they made a deb or rpm package, which is really easy to install.

It's safe to say that installing software on Linux is now easier then on Windows.

3rd party software that is on a central repository? sure it's easier, considering windows doesn't have anything like that natively. I guess I should have looked harder than weeks for my stylus driver package because I had a hell of a boring time reading dumb, assumption-ridden manuals just to compile the driver from the source which I should shut up and be thankful was available.

The package handler is a great thing though, but nowhere near as easy. a couple of pictures don't prove it's easier either, that's just your opinion(s). As a user, I'm TELLING you it was not for me. And neither was it for the people who I have offered to install ubuntu for, and refused, which was all of them. And these people, which are like the majority of PC users, would never even bother to complain about linux like this. they will never use it.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #23 on: 21 January 2006, 01:34 »
... is it really necessary to quote images ... the loading time kinda doubles ...

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2006, 01:42 »
Quote from: GenuineAdvantage
3rd party software that is on a central repository? sure it's easier, considering windows doesn't have anything like that natively. I guess I should have looked harder than weeks for my stylus driver package because I had a hell of a boring time reading dumb, assumption-ridden manuals just to compile the driver from the source which I should shut up and be thankful was available.

The package handler is a great thing though, but nowhere near as easy. a couple of pictures don't prove it's easier either, that's just your opinion(s). As a user, I'm TELLING you it was not for me. And neither was it for the people who I have offered to install ubuntu for, and refused, which was all of them. And these people, which are like the majority of PC users, would never even bother to complain about linux like this. they will never use it.

You're totally missing the point.  It is DIFFERENT.  If you had never used a computer before, and needed to install some software, which would be easier?  Downloading and running an installation program, with options, licenses, and confirmation screens?  Or selecting a program from a list and clicking a button?  I think that from an arch-newb point of view, Apt-based package managers are clearly easier than Windows software installation.  After years of downloading and clicking and accepting licenses and deciding where in the start menu to put your new program, it seems easier, yes.  But that doesn't mean it is at its core easier.  Ya dig?

Windows experience is a filter which makes Windows easy.
Linux experience is a filter which makes Windows hard.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2006, 01:51 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
... is it really necessary to quote images ... the loading time kinda doubles ...
I don't think it does/should...

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2006, 02:39 »
The loading time is the same as the first picture end up in the cache.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #27 on: 21 January 2006, 07:11 »
it actually takes some time and processing power to load the image even if it is cached ... just rendering it takes about 1 or 2 sec ... ok well it's not such a big difference 2 sec versus 4 sec ...

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #28 on: 21 January 2006, 21:06 »
...and then there's the minority of people that prefer current information and, thus, have image caching turned off (not me, but I can certainly see the issue).

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: 7 February 2006, 00:56 »
Wow, it just came to me from no where... Keramik. Search for it on kde-look.org if you don't already have it (supposed to be standard with KDE, I think. And there's loads of different versions of it on kde-look.org :/ ).