Author Topic: Switching to Windows: Not as easy as you think  (Read 4482 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
Re: Switching to Windows: Not as easy as you think
« Reply #1 on: 9 January 2006, 19:29 »
I grew up on a Unix command-line. BSD, I believe.

wow.... is that even possible.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #2 on: 9 January 2006, 21:38 »
NEWSFLASH: American student 'etement' finds a living specimen predating the GUI! Critics dispute the discovery.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2006, 04:23 »
I bet if less boxes came pre-installed with Winblow$ and people actually had to install their OS maybe they would realize that linux is the way to go ... not Winblow$

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2006, 01:20 »
Finally had the chance to read this article all the way through, and I thought it was kinda funny.  But dead-on balls accurate.  People who complain about Linux usually complain because it is not like Windows.  Windows is most people's frame of reference for the personal computer.  When Linux is your frame of reference, Windows is obviously the devil.  No configure files, cryptic error messages, barely supported 3rd party software, strong & constrictive branding, etc.  Those of us who come from a Windows childhood have to deal with Linux strangeness for awhile, but after that, stuff like apt, xfce, stderr, logs, and configs become normal and infinitely more useful.  At that point, we look back and notice how Windows sucks.  This article's benefit, then, is that it is written in the unique point of view of someone looking forward on Windows, and seeing very clearly how it can cripple the aware user's experience.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2006, 08:13 »
yep Linux always gets the basics right first.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2006, 23:12 »
Quote from: worker201
Finally had the chance to read this article all the way through, and I thought it was kinda funny.  But dead-on balls accurate.  People who complain about Linux usually complain because it is not like Windows.  Windows is most people's frame of reference for the personal computer.  When Linux is your frame of reference, Windows is obviously the devil.  No configure files, cryptic error messages, barely supported 3rd party software, strong & constrictive branding, etc.  Those of us who come from a Windows childhood have to deal with Linux strangeness for awhile, but after that, stuff like apt, xfce, stderr, logs, and configs become normal and infinitely more useful.  At that point, we look back and notice how Windows sucks.  This article's benefit, then, is that it is written in the unique point of view of someone looking forward on Windows, and seeing very clearly how it can cripple the aware user's experience.

Hmm, I feel really weird knowing that I have NEVER had a problem with Windows, (well, up until XP).

But at the same time, I feel good about not being brought up on Windows, Mac OS System 7.5 for me :p

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2006, 18:35 »
Quote from: MarathoN
Hmm, I feel really weird knowing that I have NEVER had a problem with Windows, (well, up until XP).

Are you sure ? How can that be ... I know that Window$ Me was horrible ... it predictably crashed within 3 hours of booting it up ... 98 and 95 seemed to have less problems as I remember it ... but they still crashed at least once a day ... And XP, although it crashed less it was way too adware ridden ... this may also have been due to the DMR :D

MarathoN

« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2006, 00:18 »
Haha, never used ME, apart from on friends machines, same with XP, and I don't like either. ;)

95/98 were fine though, apart from the occasional BSOD lol

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2006, 18:22 »
Windows 98 didn't treat me all that bad during the few months I had it running on the abandoned 233mhz and something like 300mb RAM machine almost 2 years ago. Unfortunetly for Microsoft, Mandrake was better in every conceivable way.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2006, 18:39 »
Quote from: worker201
People who complain about Linux usually complain because it is not like Windows.  Windows is most people's frame of reference for the personal computer.

if people are let down that linux does not behave like windows (ie: unpredictably and incorrectly) then surely they should be happy about it?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

MarathoN

« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2006, 00:26 »
Quote from: Calum
if people are let down that linux does not behave like windows (ie: unpredictably and incorrectly) then surely they should be happy about it?

I think it's because there are too many naive people out there.

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2006, 08:05 »
You give people too much credit if you actually care about the average PC user going to linux. Even the easiest flavor of linux is hard as hell to install software to when you never touched one before and there's nobody there to help you.  If you don't think this is true, you have lost touch with the outside world in that linux PC room of yours. On windows it's pretty much just "click here to install" for everything. And most PC users aren't going to bother with anything harder unless they have to. Pages and pages of bad manuals just to install an obscure driver that you need? Unless people are aspiring programers, they're never going to do that when windows is there. And one would hope that linux promoters are aware of the fact that not every PC user out there wants to be a programmer, a network guy, or anything of the sort. With that said, windows SUCKS, and as nice as linux is, I doubt will ever gain substantial ground over it. And I'm only directing this to users who imply that linux should replace windows, not the linux users who just use it and think it's better.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2006, 17:05 »
Quote from: GenuineAdvantage
Even the easiest flavor of linux is hard as hell to install software to when you never touched one before and there's nobody there to help you.

The easiest Linux's now are Ubuntu and Linspire, and this is how you install software on them:
Ubuntu

Linspire

And if the program you are looking for is somehow not on the list, it's common that they made a deb or rpm package, which is really easy to install.

It's safe to say that installing software on Linux is now easier then on Windows.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2006, 18:43 »
Installing Software: A GNU/Linux VS. MS Windows Comparison

I had to install Firefox on a Windows machine in school today, and now I might appreciate apt-get and friends some more.

I wonder what's the average amount of times Windows users spend clicking 'Next' to accept the default installation directory every time they want to install something...