Author Topic: intel Is Here  (Read 2889 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: intel Is Here
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2006, 03:16 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
OS X is a cool, simple OS, but that's not my kinda OS.
What exactly do you mean by this?  Do you mean that OSX's coolness is not cool enough for you?  Do you mean that simple is not something you look for in an OS?  Or what?

The concept, the power, and the look of OSX can whomp anything else I have seen hands down.  The combination of *nix power under the hood with a beautiful gui that you can use or not use, depending on your preferences, is futuristic and useful.  I think that OSX is perhaps the perfect operating system.  Grandmas can use it, hackers who love vi can use it, toolsmiths who like to script everything with perl can use it, graphic artists can use it, and filmmakers can use it too.  It's incredible in its versatility.

OSX's only problem, as far as I can see, is that it is under Apple's control.  This has never actually affected me in any way, but I can see how it could.  Apple can lock out certain protocols or take over certain protocols if they choose, and although it hasn't happened yet, it could.

Don't get me wrong, I like Linux too.  But I think OSX is the perfect medium between Linux and Windows, and I wish more people had the chance to realize that, because it would change the way a lot of people think about Windows.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2006, 04:12 »
Why would you go to great lengths to replace OS X with something that is less? By leaving it in place, all you have to do is install a package manager, like apt-get, and install UNIX software. Then you run it.

Guess what? Go to an OS X machine and login as ">console"... and it dumps you at a text console! This is NeXTSTEP we're talking about here. It's a serious UNIX, and isn't meant to be taken lightly. This is the real thing... this is UNIX, not a *nix clone.
Go the fuck ~

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2006, 18:41 »
Quote from: worker201
What exactly do you mean by this?  Do you mean that OSX's coolness is not cool enough for you?  Do you mean that simple is not something you look for in an OS?  Or what?
I definetly don't look for simple. And I only care about cool after ten minutes, when I wanna do something useful.

I don't think GNU/Linux is perfect for everyone, but I do think it's perfect for me. OS X has nothing on it. I can think of at least one quite significant thing that GNU/Linux has on OS X, and worker almost touched on it. Free gift* for whoever guesses it.

* may not recieve free gift.
great lengths
What great lengths? I imagine I'd have a perfectly setup Ubuntu in no more than 40 mins. I most likely wouldn't stay on Ubuntu, but still.

Setting up a perfect GNU/Linux system on a Mac, I imagine, would be just like doing so on a PC. I wouldn't stay with OS X, because I'd rather switch to GNU/Linux. I prefer using GNU/Linux to OS X, it's what I'm confortable with, and there's nothing wrong with it (otherwise it might be worth getting used to OS X).

(Everything IMO.)
« Last Edit: 11 January 2006, 19:04 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2006, 22:34 »
I don't like guessing games.  Post the answer.  Knowledge is useless if nobody knows it.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: 11 January 2006, 22:39 »
Quote from: worker201
I don't like guessing games.  Post the answer.  Knowledge is useless if nobody knows it.
You can run a completely free (as in freedom), usable GNU/Linux system. Can't do that with OS X.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2006, 01:29 »
That is important to some people. To some people, different things are important. For some people, religion is important. For others, it's science.

This... is no different.
Go the fuck ~

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2006, 01:56 »
Quote from: hm_murdock
Why would you go to great lengths to replace OS X with something that is less? By leaving it in place, all you have to do is install a package manager, like apt-get, and install UNIX software. Then you run it.

Guess what? Go to an OS X machine and login as ">console"... and it dumps you at a text console! This is NeXTSTEP we're talking about here. It's a serious UNIX, and isn't meant to be taken lightly. This is the real thing... this is UNIX, not a *nix clone.

I just tried to login as ">console"

did nothing

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2006, 02:14 »
Are you set to login by entering a name and pw? Or are you using the pictures? It just worked for me.

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2006, 03:19 »
with the login screen set to username/password entry, '>console' places me right back at the login screen (no error, and the login prompt does not shake as if you entered info incorrectly)

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: 13 January 2006, 01:13 »
That is important to some people. To some people, different things are important. For some people, religion is important. For others, it's science.

This... is no different.
I'd call it morality rather than religion, I'm definetly a science man and definetly NOT a religous man.

I find GNU/Linux quite-perfect. Mac OS X doesn't offer any really good advantages over it for me. Even if Mac OS X was free, which OS I use might-just come down to a flick of a coin. Mac OS X isn't free, so I think I'll stick with GNU/Linux. It's the obvious choice for someone who likes to use a computer like I do and gives the slightest of shits about whether the software they use is free or not (and alot of people here do (not alot, but a bit), I think.).

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #25 on: 13 January 2006, 02:40 »
I'm actually pretty impressed with the MacBook Pro. Intel won't put out 65nm chips for PC's until Q3 06...and AMD 07. I haven't used OSX, but would 2,000 be worth a badass lappy + OSX?

Quote from: piratePenguin
Well over a year ago, I built this computer:

80GB 7200RPM Maxtor (IIRC) HDD
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
MSI 52x32x52 CD-RW drive
LG DVD drive
A-Open nForce4 motherboard with onboard GeForce 4 MX, firewire, USB, sound
A nice small case with 350W PSU
256MB RAM (IIRC PC2600, but I'm not sure)

It's a nice PC, and it cost me 300 euro. The keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers I already had. I got the motherboard and the CPU second hand, something that couldn't be done so easily with Macs.

If I went for a Mac, I'd be paying twice as much for a Mac mini. EDIT: no, I wouldn't. They didn't exist.

No thanks.

how does an athlonXP go into the NF4 mobo... NF4 only does 939 and 754

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2006, 02:54 »
Quote from: etement
I'm actually pretty impressed with the MacBook Pro. Intel won't put out 65nm chips for PC's until Q3 06...and AMD 07. I haven't used OSX, but would 2,000 be worth a badass lappy + OSX?

how does an athlonXP go into the NF4 mobo... NF4 only does 939 and 754

i think he thought it was nforce 4 because of the built in GeForce 4 built in? nForce 2 is socket 462
sig.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2006, 08:36 »
etement... consider this... $2000 for a dual-processing notebook, and the ability to boot between OS X, Windows for games, and Linux if you wish.
Go the fuck ~

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: 13 January 2006, 18:33 »
Quote from: Lead Head
i think he thought it was nforce 4 because of the built in GeForce 4 built in? nForce 2 is socket 462
Ah, that's right, nforce2.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #29 on: 13 January 2006, 21:04 »
etement... consider this... $2000 for a dual-processing notebook, and the ability to boot between OS X, Windows for games, and Linux if you wish.

The MacBook uses EFI in place of BIOS.  The only versions of Windows that support EFI are XP 64 (won't work) and Vista (not released).  Unless, of course, Apple has put the BIOS emulation for EFI in there.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez