Author Topic: intel Is Here  (Read 2888 times)

cymon

• Kudos: 172
Re: intel Is Here
« Reply #30 on: 13 January 2006, 22:02 »
Which I doubt they have. Until there's a radical hardware change in the PC market, people are not going to use EFI. Why would Apple have a BIOS emulator, they want you to buy their hardware?

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #31 on: 17 January 2006, 13:01 »
Didn't Gateway have EFI in their machines sometime?
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #32 on: 28 January 2006, 01:13 »
I just found out that the new Intel Macs have no support for Classic mode.  Meaning that OS9 backwards compat is gone, over, finished.  Now, this doesn't mean shit to me, since I don't use any Classic apps, and don't even have Classic mode installed on my Mac.  But some people apparently still have these ancient abandonware programs that they consider mission-critical, which will never run on an Intel Mac.  So with this particular facet of the move to Intel chips, a lot of diehard users will be left behind.  Not that they're going to switch to Windows or anything, but it won't be the giant overnight switch Apple is pimping this as.

In Apple's defense, though, pimping ain't easy, and neither is adding some kind of crufted compatibility layer to the new OS.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #33 on: 28 January 2006, 01:38 »
Yet it's surprising how many 680x0 programs will run with little more than the UNIX port of Basilisk. :cool:

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #34 on: 28 January 2006, 19:02 »
I am not sure Apple wants to be caught in the kind of situation as Microsoft; perpetually supporting old technology like DOS. We all knew the Classic environment would was only there to ease the transititioin, people got the hint when new Macs could no longer boot into Mac OS 9. Classic was not going to stay around forever.

Just out of curiosity, what mission-critical software is there that only exists for Classic?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #35 on: 28 January 2006, 19:34 »
MS have stopped supporting DOS long ago, I think the oldset OS they currently support is Windows 98 which is more than old enough, just thinking I've contradicted myself, Windows 98 is DOS based.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #36 on: 28 January 2006, 21:06 »
Quote from: themacuser
Didn't Gateway have EFI in their machines sometime?

Gateway is working hard to keep good components out of their computers, just like Dell.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #37 on: 28 January 2006, 22:30 »
Quote from: M51DPS
Just out of curiosity, what mission-critical software is there that only exists for Classic?

The article I read was by a teacher, and his gradebook software was Classic.  The guy is also very fond of an ancient anacrostic generator - which unless you work for Wheel of Fortune is NOT mission critical.  When he used the term 'mission critical', I think he was kinda exagerating.