Author Topic: Poxe  (Read 2040 times)

_kill__bill

• VIP
  • Kudos: 355
Poxe
« on: 17 January 2006, 23:49 »
I'm just spreading the news of my latest project and asking for volunteers. Please? It will hurt Microsoft in a tiny way, or at least help to make your efforts better. I don't want to beg.

Web:
http://groups.google.com/group/poxe

Email:
[email protected]

Long Live the Revolution!
Long Live the Revolution!

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Poxe
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2006, 00:13 »
Yea at last I can dump MS notepad! :p

Best of luck with this project. Seems like it'll be alot of (not exactly innovative) work, but yea.

If/When I learn Perl it should be interesting to hack at.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2006, 01:39 »
POXE is supposed to be a free, portable, Perl-based EMACS-like editor. Windows, MacOS X, *nix and *BSD will be supported by v2.0. For 1.0, just *nix and Windows. About me: I am just a guy who tried to make some nifty stuff for GNU Emacs and found LISP too confusing, obfuscated, and most of all: OLD. It may be a...

You do realize that MacOS X, BSD, and *nix are all the same thing, right?

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2006, 16:27 »
No everyone does though.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2006, 19:14 »
Nothing can replace Vi IMproved ;)

_kill__bill

• VIP
  • Kudos: 355
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2006, 21:48 »
You do realize that MacOS X, BSD, and *nix are all the same thing, right?

Mac OS X:macos: , *BSD:bsd: and *nix:tux: may all have the same executable format, and in many cases are interoperable, they can have major GUI differences and libraries, mostly Mac OS X.

The terminal mode, and maybe even the X11 mode might work on OS X. Eventually I'll port it to the Mac OS X GUI mode (whatever it's called. Cocoa, I think. Maybe Aqua. It's been a while.).

Nothing can replace Vi IMproved

Maybe for you, but I hate modal editors. Besides, Vim isn't as portable or extendable. I won't force you to use something else, but don't make me use Vim. Besides, another choice is always good.

Should be done in 6 months, if I get help. Funny thing is, I'm writing it on Emacs. :cool:

cymon

« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2006, 00:20 »
Well things like vim and emacs are pretty much native command line apps. I think people just want a simple text editor, if they want all the bells and whistles, then you get openoffice or something. That's why I use vi and nano.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2006, 00:33 »
Quote from: cymon
I think people just want a simple text editor, if they want all the bells and whistles, then you get openoffice or something.
But if you're a programmer, you would need Emacs or at least vim. You could use nano either if you wanted, or even ed (ha), but the likes of vim and Emacs are much more complete and some of their features aren't always useful, but when they are, they're useful (genius).

God help any programmer who codes in OOo...

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

cymon

« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2006, 00:43 »
I do use vim, though I'm not a programmer. That's what OS-X came with. I'm just saying that I don't need many of the Emacs features, I like something nice and light.

Any code written in OO would be bloated just because it was written in OO.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2006, 00:52 »
Quote from: cymon
I do use vim, though I'm not a programmer. That's what OS-X came with. I'm just saying that I don't need many of the Emacs features, I like something nice and light.
Yea, I agree that alot of Emacs' features would really only be useful to developers. They can be removed, but that is extra work unless you use a non-official distribution or a different clone (like micro emacs).

Any code written in OO would be bloated just because it was written in OO.
I don't have OOo here, but I can save and edit files in plain text format using Kword. joy (I think I'll stick with Emacs)

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2006, 14:05 »
/me bows to kwrite+kdevelop :D
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2006, 16:45 »
I need my text editor to do syntax highlighting. Otherwise, it's useless to me.

Vi IMproved does this, OOo doesn't, but OOo is great for writing letters, reports, importing db tables from SQL, etc.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2006, 21:29 »
Quote from: Refalm
I need my text editor to do syntax highlighting. Otherwise, it's useless to me.

Vi IMproved does this, OOo doesn't, but OOo is great for writing letters, reports, importing db tables from SQL, etc.

kwrite has syntax highlighting :P
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2006, 13:52 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
kwrite has syntax highlighting :P

I don't like KWrite for some reason, although I love KDE apps.
I guess Vim has a faster user interface.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2006, 14:26 »
I think I'll just stick with Xcode...
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.