Author Topic: My Experience With Windows Vista  (Read 2048 times)

darkrain90

• Kudos: 10
My Experience With Windows Vista
« on: 19 January 2006, 10:32 »
Id love to say "I didnt touch it."
Hah, if only I had the foresight to do such a thing.

I installed the newest beta of Windows Vista, and the first thing that happens? No internet.
So I go to find drivers and such, the ones listed to work with vista, do they work? FUCK NO.

After fucking with vista for a while, I think... well this is stupid.
I go to rid my computer of this menace... but OMG guess what? It uses a different boot system then XP did so if I delete it off my harddrive it will destroy XP (which I also have installed on another drive).

So basicly, it raped me and refuses to take its LongHorn out of my ass.

A smart man once said: Beta testing for M$ is like played russian roulette with a hand grenade, theres only one pin and eventually your going to pull it.

If only I had listened....

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: My Experience With Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2006, 13:41 »
You haven't convinced me it sucks, I had exactly the same experiance the first time I tried Linux and I don't think Linux sucks.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2006, 16:57 »
Welcome to our forums darkrain90!

Could you tell us what exactly you did like about Vista and what you didn't?

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2006, 19:05 »
Man, why you gotta insult homosexuals by comparing them to Windows? :P

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2006, 19:14 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
You haven't convinced me it sucks, I had exactly the same experiance the first time I tried Linux and I don't think Linux sucks.

that makes two of us...

darkrain90

« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2006, 22:49 »
Quote from: worker201
Man, why you gotta insult homosexuals by comparing them to Windows? :P

Note: RAPED.

I insulted rapist homosexuals, I have no problem with other types.

Hehe, actually it does sound like my first experience with Linux...

Except I liked linux and saw a reason to use it.

Longhorn has one nice feature, and thats the black color scheme oh and media player 11 is shiny.

But  both of those can be accomplished with XP with a little time.

It felt like windows XP, but buggier (of course being a Beta).
Another thing that annoyed me was anytime I tried to use a program windows asked permission, like I would open a program and a box would pop up "windows needs your permission to open this file 'program.exe'".
Which although seems a good idea... it quickly got tiresome. I also couldnt find a way to turn it off.
Over all it looks nice, except I think making it drag on a 3d card was a stupid decision.
Also the ticking sound because the built in VGA drivers kept turning my monitors on and off when I opened things, changed applications, and at other random times. I was using two monitors so that may have had something to do with it.

It also completly changed the boot system, it got rid of boot.ini and replaced it with a program bootloader that looks EXACTLY the same graphicly, seems to function the same. But is a pain in the ass to change.

I did find it had nice backwards compatability with XP programs, alot of which I just opened off my first drive (XP).
But I was running a complete admin account (I hear limited accounts dont have acess to the backwards compat.).

Overall it looks nice and it seems to function pretty much the same.
However there probably are quite a few issues with backwards compatability and drivers that will stick around even after release.

Its enough for me not to run out and buy it when its released. Its just not that big of an improvment with a very large area for M$ to screw up.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2006, 23:45 »
Quote from: darkrain90
After fucking with vista for a while, I think... well this is gay.

^^That's what I was referring to.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2006, 23:50 »
Sounds kinda like they have included some sort of SELinuxish thing in there.  Once an application becomes "trusted", I assume it wouldn't ask for permission anymore.  But maintaining a security system like this requires very fine manipulation of the security policy.  And I don't think Vista is going to let you do this.  If anything, user access to the security policy will be almost as good as current access to the firewall.  For the home user who doesn't have a sysadmin writing special global security policies, this means that Microsoft is dictating your security policy.  I guess that's okay, if you trust Microsoft to make all your decisions for you.  But it sure wouldn't be okay for me.

darkrain90

« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2006, 00:10 »
^^That's what I was referring to.

Whoops... didnt mean to do that...

darkrain90

« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2006, 00:15 »
Once an application becomes "trusted", I assume it wouldn't ask for permission anymore.

Hah, never assume. No it doesnt stop.
It just keeps asking and asking and asking.
For some apps like IE and WMP it doesnt bother, but everything else ive tried to do its asked me.

Its really annoying when I am trying to set up my god damn network because every separate screen asks me the same stupid question.

Also it seems to have no automated support for wired networks. Every time I try and go through one of thier wizards or get it to detect automaticly. IT MAKES ME USE A WIRELESS NETWORK. Which I have but cant use because the current machine doesnt have the wireless adapter and I dont feel like shelling out 50$ CAN for one.

I am going to try one last time to get my network registered in Vista, if that doesnt work I am wiping the partition and installing Fedora in its place.

ReggieMicheals

• Kudos: 228
    • http://osadvocacy.frih.net/
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2006, 00:55 »
I've heard of Vista being convoluted on several blogs, but this is rediculous...
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

darkrain90

« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2006, 01:08 »
Eagh, thats it.
Vista go bubye.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2006, 01:21 »
How about security?

Did it cary on the long tradition of creating root accounts for users or have they opted for something sensible like limited accounts?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2006, 02:56 »
By "boot system" do you mean boot loader ? I'm sure there's a way to re-install the XP boot loader ... or another boot loader ... but this is not an M$ help forum so ...

I say a better solution is to pop in a Linux install DVD and get rid of Winblow$ :thumbup:

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2006, 05:51 »
[offtopic]Dylan, my good friend. Welcome! :)
[/offtopic]