Author Topic: Crappy X64 windows  (Read 1192 times)

crazyman2099

• Kudos: 10
Crappy X64 windows
« on: 22 January 2006, 01:46 »
I bought windows X64 thinking it would speed up my computer by using its 64 bit processor, but instead it made it even slower!!! Now I am out 140 dollars and stuck with this crap :mad:. Is there anyway to resell windows program that has already been activated? If so let me know because I hate this crap.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Crappy X64 windows
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2006, 03:14 »
Well ... according to M$ you cannot legally sell it ... but even if you sold it would it still work (for the buyer I mean) ? ... I'm not sure how the activation procedure works so I dunno ... get Linux, it's the best solution.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2006, 05:47 »
64-Bit doesn't automatically make it two times faster, though it does improve memory usage.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2006, 10:59 »
Actually, the EULA you agreed to (ya know, that legally binding little slip of paper with the sub-microscopic type that slipped past their KrazyGlue Dot Enclosure (trademarks and patents pending) that the dog subsequently ate) upon installation prohibits resale of the product in any size, shape, or form.  This is one of the reasons why this site exists, as it amounts to little more than wholesale customer abuse - you're stripped of your "right to resale" (as per the UCC, I could look up subsections if it would make anyone more comfortable).  

If you're looking for a temporary Windows-based "fix" to the issue, please visit a Windows support site.  If you're sick of dealing with Microsoft, and wish to embrace one of the many free alternatives - and require some guidance with which distros are compatible with your hardware - feel free to ask here (there's even a list on the main site).  

Otherwise, I'm sure you can find other groups dedicated to bartering Windows for valuable goods and services (I don't see where the EULA prohibits that :D) with a modicum of Googling.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2006, 12:38 »
Microsoft screwwed up big time. Why did they call it x64? It's x86-64, the 64 bit instructions are an extension to the origional Intel 80386 specs, just like MMX and SSE*. I have a copy of XP x86-64 and it is utter shite. I had problems with drivers and the general slowness of it. I prefer my PC as it is, a 3400 64 bit CPU and XP 32 bit. Lightning fast and so far, mostly stable. I have jus given WinRAR realtime CPU usage and everything else is lagging to hell. Estimated time left has lost several hours though.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2006, 18:57 »
The biggest issue I've heard of is it doesn't support old 16-bit programs, while this isn't normally an issue many modern Windows programs are shipped with out of dat 16-bit installers, even some MS stuff is.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2006, 19:31 »
Has anyone ever had problems with x86-64 versions of Linux or BSD?
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....