Author Topic: Apparently 98 = early NT  (Read 2073 times)

HeroicRaptor

• Kudos: 10
Apparently 98 = early NT
« on: 13 February 2006, 04:56 »

wtf?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: Apparently 98 = early NT
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2006, 09:14 »
They could have converted the explorer.exe from the early Windows NT to Windows 98, as Windows NT had those IE web thingies a little bit earlier than Windows 98.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2006, 09:56 »
That's probably true and no conversion was needed 98 runst most NT stuff.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2006, 17:29 »
9x and NT are totally different, even though userland applications tend to run on both as they both support the same executable format and so on. As for the copyright string, I have no idea what's going on. Could mean anything, it's just one file. For more interesting research, someone should test all win98 binaries for existence of NT copyright strings and then report about how many were found...

Jack2000

« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2006, 18:03 »
i think somewhere in 98
it said NT technology
or something

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2006, 20:11 »
muzzy, isn't Explorer a userland program?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2006, 20:43 »
Yea, explorer is userland although I would suspect NT's explorer wouldn't run on win98. Haven't tried, but I'd at least expect it to depend on some NT specific things.

The version strings in about dialog, however, are generated by the system.  So, even NT executables will give win98 version info in about box when you're running them on win98.  You can take software from old versions of windows and the about dialog will claim the version matches the system version...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2006, 21:53 »
well, that's really useful!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2006, 23:34 »
What's so special about explorer?

It's just the desktop, it's no more important (as far as the kernel's concerned) than  MS Paint, OpenOffice or Wordpad, it doesn't suprize me at all that Windows 98 uses exactly the same Windows Explorer binary as a previous NT version.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2006, 23:48 »
I think the more important question is, why are you using Windows 98 and 3ds max 2.5? :p
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2006, 23:53 »
The IE4 version of explorer.exe and all of the webtop components report Windows NT. IE4 was a Cairo component, and Win2K was the realization of the Cairo initiative. This has nothing to do with "98 being NT" or "Adding NT parts to 98". They simply put NT versions on all the IE bits.
Go the fuck ~

ReggieMicheals

• Kudos: 228
    • http://osadvocacy.frih.net/
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2006, 00:16 »
To reiderate:
Windows 9x Kernel was developed exsculsively for Microsoft.
Windows NT Kernel is a highly modified Microsoft(not IBM, that was later) OS/2 kernel left from the Microsoft-IBM breakup.
Both use the same API - it's how it's done at the machine level that's different.
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

HeroicRaptor

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2006, 03:27 »
Quote from: WMD
I think the more important question is, why are you using Windows 98 and 3ds max 2.5? :p
This comp has 98 because of windows compatablity and its not xp because my dad is a lazy bum. I do have a ubuntu comp, but for some reason it doesn't like my modem. I have 2.5 because I got it free from my teacher.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2006, 05:44 »
Windows NT Kernel is a highly modified Microsoft(not IBM, that was later) OS/2 kernel left from the Microsoft-IBM breakup.

Incorrect. NT was created by Dave Cutler, formerly of DEC, and it owes much of its existance to VMS. I think Cutler (one of the few true high-quality coders at MS) would owe you a kick in the teeth for that remark. NT carried an OS/2 text-mode subsystem for a number of years, but contrary to popular fictional history, NT isn't just OS/2 re-branded. If you actually fucking KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT OS/2 you'd know that.

Now, seriously, I get so goddamn sick of people spreading misinformation and plain old LIES. You really can't comprehend how stupid it makes the anti-Windows movement look.
Go the fuck ~

Jack2000

« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2006, 17:45 »
98's shell is called explorer.exe :D