Operating Systems > Not Quite Mainstream OSes

What was BeOS?

(1/8) > >>

_kill__bill:
I got intrested in what the :beos: smiley is about, and wikipediaed BeOS.

My question is, what was so great about it?
Simple GUI: wm2, twm, mwm or even fvwm, really
Runs on PPC/i386: Any major free OS
BFS: ???
New API: yeah, we really need better GUI APIs, but not in a new OS

Is it even worth checking out?

worker201:
twm's footprint is tiny - I mean like usbstick-Linux tiny.  Sounds like a good OS for junk hardware.

I've never used it, but I have heard that some people think it is pretty fucking cool.  With any luck, they can tell you more.

WMD:

--- Quote from: _kill__bill ---My question is, what was so great about it?
--- End quote ---

It was easy.  It was fast and small.  And it did those things without having a GUI so featureless (like those you mentioned) that you needed the command line.  It was probably the only decent threat to Windows 98, and it's still better than Linux in some ways.  Microsoft killed off the company by 2001 or so, maybe earlier.

ReggieMicheals:
Its a damn good OS similar to linux. I say its worth checking out the personal edition which lives in a HD image and getting the full thing at beosonline.com if you like it(note: the full version has more drivers and has a better chance of working with your system). Or try Haiku, what ReactOS is to BeOS. It's in its alpha stages with a beta hopefully coming soon.

Preview: http://toastytech.com/guis/b5pe.html

noob:
I'ma try BeOS, may aswell. Is there any source code available? It could come in usefull for a project I am working on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version