Author Topic: Your opinion of my forum  (Read 988 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Your opinion of my forum
« on: 20 February 2006, 23:21 »
My Forum

I want your opionion of my forum and how to make it better, IE waht to add/take away
sig.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
Re: Your opinion of my forum
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2006, 00:33 »
I think it sucks.

what to add:
-domain
-real host

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2006, 00:40 »
The thing is there are 1000s of forums out there - it's easy to create a forum but it's much harder to create a good one with regular posters. A good forum isn't possible witthout a good domain name and a decent website.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2006, 03:36 »
High Performance ? That's kind of a strange category ... the layout is good, but the white text an dark background is a bit hard to read, at least for me. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, since other pages with white text on dark background have had enormous success. Other than that all I can say is good luck finding people to post there.

Usually forums serve a purpose, often a domain specific one. The Microsuck forum, for example, tends to focus on M$ and appropriate ramifications such as alternatives to M$ (Mac, Linux, FreeBSD etc.), as well as more general sections. Most decently sucessful forums are structured something like this .... a focus, recent events, ramifications, alternatives, and miscellaneous.

The other forum I posted at before this one was a software forum, and it had a similar layout, with software (mostly audio/video) as the focus, numerous alternatives, news, impact, and plenty of miscellaneous.

Now, a forum called generalchat ... hmmm, what is the focus of this forum ? Usually, the more general a forum is the less people will go there, simply because there are so many other places (chat rooms) that would not only be live, but also probably more populated.

Ok, to put it in simpler terms ... I found the Microsuck site and forums by googleing it ... I was interested in alternatives to M$. I don't quite remember what I googled, but it had something to do with either M$ Window$ or Linux or something along these lines. I probably found it indirectly as a link from some other site. How are people going to find your forum ? How often does one google, or even search for "generalchat" ... and even more so ... will your forum be #1 on the list ? or even #100 ? I recommend trying to have at least 1 main focus, and of course lots of misc sections.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2006, 04:06 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
I found the Microsuck site and forums by googleing it ... I was interested in alternatives to M$.

I found it by giggling because I typed "fuck microsoft" into my browser. :D
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2006, 05:10 »
Quote from: WMD
I found it by giggling because I typed "fuck microsoft" into my browser. :D

Imagine what you would have found if you had googled "fuck microsoft" :D

Anyways general chat was just something i put down cause i couldn't think of anything else, i plan on making a real site soon anyways.
sig.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2006, 05:55 »
Quote from: Lead Head
Imagine what you would have found if you had googled "fuck microsoft" :D

Actually, that's probably what I googled, and the first site listed is fuckmicrosoft.com too bad it doesn't work anymore[size=-1] [/size]

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2006, 05:58 »
I found out about the mes back in 2003 by a person I knew, actually I think it was about right after you got the new domain name
sig.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2006, 06:14 »
/cries that Tex has nearly as many posts as him
sig.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2006, 06:24 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Actually, that's probably what I googled, and the first site listed is fuckmicrosoft.com too bad it doesn't work anymore

What are you talking about?  It works fine.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2006, 10:11 »
phpBB was a bad choice. You should only get phpBB if it's the only one that has the mods you needed, and there was only a converter from your old forum to phpBB.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #11 on: 21 February 2006, 11:24 »
There is only one way to judge a forum...

the residents.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2006, 11:30 »
Oh yes, and I dislike automotives, can you create a bicycle forum too? :)

Jack2000

« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2006, 14:28 »
ha :)
i found Microsuck that way too :D
i guess google can realy help a forum/site

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2006, 16:43 »
Createforum doesnt allow any other forums besides phpBB as far as i can see. I dont like phpBB that much though.

I found out about microsuck from a friend
sig.