Author Topic: Windows Vista build 5308 out  (Read 3864 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Windows Vista build 5308 out
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2006, 23:58 »
$50 is waay too much. It should be gratis, it's just shit anyhow.
Hopefully people will use their heads and use GNU/Linux.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2006, 01:41 »
I would be surprised if my mom ever used more than three applications at once. She may open outlook and firefox at the same time sometimes. There is a market for it and if you don't want it, don't buy it.

Okay Pathos, I won't buy it. And no one should when you have perfectly good Linux distributions (that can run Windows apps). Why the crap would anyone buy something like this piece of junk that limits you, when you can get Linux for free? Are you planning on getting this for your Mother or something (what a *great* gift for her!)?

For markets with people "new" to computers (isn't this what Starter edition is for anyways?), why not Linux?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2006, 01:49 »
Yeah but (I know I'm countering my previous argument) why would most people use Linux when they're limited by the rest of the industry's lack of support for it?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2006, 03:33 »
What lack of support? Most of the hardware that doens't support Linux is shit anyways. DRI has stable drivers for all the ATi chipsets up to the Radeon 9250. Most other stuff is supported, and new drivers come out every day. All the hardware I've run linux on has been supported very well, even some random off brand NIC. Also, the target audience for Vista Starter isn't likely to be running very new hardware, though that's a moot point because piracy is huge in those countries, especially in China.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2006, 03:48 »
Linux dont like my x800:(
sig.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #20 on: 25 February 2006, 06:47 »
I got my printer to scan today ... it took a lot of trial and error ... but then everything does :D

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2006, 04:48 »
does starter edition do gaming? could make a cheap gaming machine then...

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2006, 05:52 »
Quote from: Pathos
does starter edition do gaming? could make a cheap gaming machine then...

Well, I was thinking the same sort of thing.  However, without the ability to accept incoming connections, I'm thinking the online gaming experience will be very limited.  

Also, remember that Vista won't be able to do anything below D3D10 except in software emulation.  That doesn't sound like a very good game system to me.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #23 on: 27 February 2006, 20:13 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
Also, remember that Vista won't be able to do anything below D3D10 except in software emulation.  That doesn't sound like a very good game system to me.

I agree :D

Pathos

« Reply #24 on: 28 February 2006, 08:43 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
Well, I was thinking the same sort of thing.  However, without the ability to accept incoming connections, I'm thinking the online gaming experience will be very limited.  

ah yes there is that too...

but for just a client for wow2/hl3 etc should be sweet.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #25 on: 28 February 2006, 23:26 »
So basically everyone is going to upgrade besides me and a few other people (like 2 or 3) ... long live Emperor Gates ... bow down before him and his mighty empire or face his wrath.

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
« Reply #26 on: 1 March 2006, 20:58 »
I just wanted to check what the fuzz was all about as it was feature complete. I'm not and will never run Windows as a main OS, just keep it as a playground.

However according to feedback it seems like It's a bitch to get around activation on this on so I don't think it will last longer than 12 days or something like that. Hopefully it will be cracked soon.

BTW, found this article. It's pro vista but It's ok.

Finally :)

Vista will have completely new audio plumbing, from low-level stuff to the high-level user interface stuff. One of the biggest changes is the fact that the vast majority of the audio stack runs in User Mode, not Kernel Mode. You should be able to update audio drivers without rebooting your machine, and failed audio won't cause a BSOD

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #27 on: 1 March 2006, 22:01 »
Is it just me is microshit trying to steal Macs looks. Instead of putting Start they did the samething mac did put a logo there you can click on. then there useing a bunch of visual effects that will slow the os down a lot.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #28 on: 2 March 2006, 03:38 »
So many vista shill articles out.

Bla bla bla greatest thing in the world.

Microsoft Vista, this time we really mean it!

Screw it.  I stopped buying MS after Win2k.  Activation pushed me over the edge and they just keep going.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Pathos

« Reply #29 on: 2 March 2006, 09:07 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
So basically everyone is going to upgrade besides me and a few other people (like 2 or 3) ... long live Emperor Gates ... bow down before him and his mighty empire or face his wrath.

err... y would we do that?

anyway this conversation is all based on the information the MS releases so who knows what the final product could be like.

The only thing I don't like about vista is how the new GUI ideas...Kde anyday.

They are at least seem to be making an attempt to build it properly bottom up. DRM was always going to come to windows, this will mean there shouldn't be any half arsed attempts like sony's again. Customers have to decide whether they want DRM or not.