Author Topic: Windows Vista build 5308 out  (Read 3867 times)

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
Windows Vista build 5308 out
« on: 23 February 2006, 10:42 »
The February CTP release is out.

Quote from: "Wikipedia"
Build 5308 (2006-02-17) - Windows Vista February CTP - Released on February 22, 2006. The first feature-complete build of Windows Vista. Microsoft is planning on releasing this build in different product editions. This build is the first to include the ability to upgrade from Windows XP.

Seems like It's starting to take form.

Will try this powersucking bitch in Vmware when I get home. I wonder if the upgrade works from 64bit WinXP (64bit Windows Vista).

noob

• Kudos: 74
Re: Windows Vista build 5308 out
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2006, 15:32 »
I may try it out, if i can get a copy.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2006, 02:46 »
Hey, I heard they added ZOOMING to their paintbrush application provided with Windows. About bloody time one of those accessories got upgraded in a noticably useful way. Perhaps they'll update the output filter DLLs for GIF/JPEG/PNG so when color reduction occurs, the image isn't destroyed (you KNOW what i'm talking about) in the process.

So, Vista is this:
Eye candy for solitare/minesweeper, 3D chess and shanghai solitare, new game for children, parental controls, new underlying APIs that will probably only be partially open (basing that on the fact Microsoft seems to be refusing to release specs for DirectUser), new IPv6 stack, IE7 (i've read up [on Microsoft's site] on the protection mechanisms at play in "protected mode", and hopefully this *is* all it's hyped up to be, so users don't get a new system just to get bogged down in malware again), New window drawing engine (Window color can be changed finally for the theme, a welcome addition), Media Center for home premium (I know, it debuted in XP, and I happen to have bought a machine back in 2004 with it), better protection of users by making it harder to hose their systems, RSS API, the ability to use key-drives as RAM (aka SuperFetch), support for raw camera data, updated start menu, something that will supposedly install lightning-fast, built-in spyware detector, scalable icons, a photo gallery utility?, calender program, "windows transfer", WMP11 (I somehow get the feeling I won't be impressed... but i'm trying to keep an open mind), a renamed outlook express, "secure startup" for corporate users, Windows Updater application, firewall improvements. Did I miss anything?

Now if they would just support DOM better (I tried out the IE7 to see the enhancements the IE team had given it). Don't like the unnatural placement of the menu-bar in IE. Still doesn't seem to like DOM code that it should. Set class attribute to one with a CSS style defined, and what happened in IE7? Nothing. Works in Firefox. Not saying they haven't done squat in IE7 (they have, I occasionally read their blog), but i'm pretty sure web developers would appreciate the change (I may not be a big-shot web developer, but I would like to be able to do less work for compatibility e.g. I can specify attributes /w createElement() in IE7, but not Firefox atm, but firefox handles adding attributes correctly, and IE7 atm doesn't)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2006, 02:52 »
A gem from http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp.

"Starter 2007 will allow only three applications (and/or three windows) to run simultaneously", "will provide Internet connectivity but not incoming network communications", "will not provide for logon passwords or Fast User Switching (FUS)".

In other words, Starter edition appears to be a piece of junk. And yet they can sell computers with this stuff? Sure, this is the "cheapest" version of Windows, and it's designed for markets without much money, but the "3" app window limit is absurd. I sort of wish someone would find out where these machines are being sold exactly, and start handing out free Linux CDs for people (assuming governments haven't made deals with Microsoft, and will stop such action)...

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2006, 03:01 »
Starter edition was always a piece of shit ... and it probably always will be ... and it costs a shitload too.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2006, 03:06 »
isnt starter adition made so it only runs on Celerons and Sempr0ns or something?
sig.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2006, 10:02 »
Quote from: Lead Head
isnt starter adition made so it only runs on Celerons and Sempr0ns or something?

No, it's made that you can only run three programs at once, have no right to control your own computer, restrictions on installing stuff, etc.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2006, 11:32 »
Quote from: anphanax
but the "3" app window limit is absurd.

I would be surprised if my mom ever used more than three applications at once. She may open outlook and firefox at the same time sometimes. There is a market for it and if you don't want it, don't buy it.

I think microsoft will make sure people know of this handicap in case they would rather purchase a more expensive copy.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2006, 13:49 »
Quote from: anphanax
A gem from http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp.

"Starter 2007 will allow only three applications (and/or three windows) to run simultaneously", "will provide Internet connectivity but not incoming network communications", "will not provide for logon passwords or Fast User Switching (FUS)".

In other words, Starter edition appears to be a piece of junk. And yet they can sell computers with this stuff? Sure, this is the "cheapest" version of Windows, and it's designed for markets without much money, but the "3" app window limit is absurd. I sort of wish someone would find out where these machines are being sold exactly, and start handing out free Linux CDs for people (assuming governments haven't made deals with Microsoft, and will stop such action)...

Someone should organize a Microsoft Bullshittery Awareness day where people volunteer to stand outside stores that sell Vista Starter Edition and hand out Ubuntu CDs. Think Canonical would want a piece of that?
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2006, 19:55 »
Quote from: Annorax
Someone should organize a Microsoft Bullshittery Awareness day where people volunteer to stand outside stores that sell Vista Starter Edition and hand out Ubuntu CDs. Think Canonical would want a piece of that?

You know ... that's a great idea. Maybe we should do it on the day Vista hits stores ... anyone know when that's gonna happen ?

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2006, 20:31 »
I like the eyecandy. Hopefully Windows Vista will be as stable or more stable than XP, or I won't be upgrading....

Starter Edition sounds like SHIT.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2006, 20:33 »
It is complete shit...etement are you sure your barton can handle the load of vista :p
sig.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2006, 21:08 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Starter edition was always a piece of shit ... and it probably always will be ... and it costs a shitload too.

Eh?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2006, 21:26 »
Quote from: WMD
Eh?

I thought it cost like $50?
sig.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2006, 22:09 »
$50 is a lot (3 pizzas worth or so) ... at least for what you get out of it.

I think a pizza's worth should be an international standard system of monetary value. 1 pizza's worth = $15 (not including tip)