Author Topic: Vista, Mac OS X Clone?  (Read 9568 times)

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
Vista, Mac OS X Clone?
« on: 3 March 2006, 04:17 »

First, Look at the start menu. Note they got rid of start and put in the windows logo. Seems just like mac. They have the apple logo in there menu.

Second, the search box in the top right hand cornor of the windows that is open this is the only version of windows that has this and is also in mac os x way before windows vista.

I have also seens a dashboard like think as you see at the bottom of the screen below I couldn't find a screen but it is just like it except it will be at the top not the bottom so it will be oposite from mac. Menu bottom and dashboard top.

These are really bad screens because they were taken from a video. here is the link to the video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uKIpoG_VSOU&search=windows%20vista

and here are the pics I found.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Re: Vista, Mac os Clone.
« Reply #1 on: 3 March 2006, 06:50 »
A pixel by pixel analysis I think will find that the shading that MS uses for Vista windows is identical to the shading that Apple uses for metal apps.
Go the fuck ~

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
« Reply #2 on: 3 March 2006, 07:29 »
If you ask me, it's not a huge rip-off of Mac OS X.

First, Look at the start menu. Note they got rid of start and put in the windows logo. Seems just like mac.

It also reminds me of KDE and Gnome, although the approach they took is some-what unique, as the button extends larger than everything else on the bar.

Also, those screenshots from the video seem to be from a fake video of Vista using something like WindowBlinds. I'm thinking this as the search bar is absent from the start menu, explorer looks different, and i've never seen that trayish thing on any screenshots of Vista i've seen. The start menu button looks different than it should too, even with Aero disabled.

If they want to prove it's Vista, perhaps they should show the fancy new   Task Scheduler in another video.

I would just like to remind people here as well that Microsoft Windows had built-in ZIP compression (ME/XP) before it made it into Mac OS X, and supported built-in file encryption via XP (Pro Ed.) before it as well. I know I might be making some fanboys angry mentioning this sort of thing, but I don't care. I've had nasty experiences with Apple trolls (I didn't say every Apple user is a troll, to any trolls that may be reading this). Someone makes a claim that Apple brought widgets to the desktop, and I bother to mention they were on Windows already via third-party software (e.g. StarDock), and it's like i've started some sort of holy war with them. Just tired of the "Apple innovates before everyone else" attitude of certian individuals. Apologies for the semi off-topic rant.

I will admit i've noticed that Windows has some features Mac OS X had before it, but would also like to mention Linux has beat Windows to implementing features as well. Yes, that's obvious, I know. I bring it up though, because it supports my original comment, that Vista isn't just a big rip-off of Mac OS X. Microsoft doesn't get their ideas from a single source.

inane

• Kudos: 233
    • http://www.myblogspace.net/inaneframe
« Reply #3 on: 3 March 2006, 09:01 »
Yeah it's obvious that the last two screen shots are XP.

What's new though? Microsoft have been ripping off other companies for YEARS. They aren't innovators. The last innovation, TRUE innovation, in all honesty was the BASIC programming language. Look at it closely, hell even 95 was a rip off of OS/2. They sit around in their 900 pound gorrilla suit all the time not giving a shit. MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO!!! Hell if they gave a shit they would've offered better backwards compatibility for DOS programs in NT, putting atleast the slightest bit of effort into it during the 15 years of NT development. So it's no surprise that DirectX10 will not offer backwards compatibility for DX9 or lower instead Microsoft will enable support for DX 9 or lower games through a software layer and all they have to say is that it might run a little bit slower. They said "Most (DOS) games run well on Windows XP, but some games that were created specifically for a 16-bit operating system may not run well or at all on Windows XP" wait wait wait... THEY'RE ALL 16 BIT OR LOWER YOU TWATS. Ever try to run a DOS game on XP? Yeah. Anyone interested in CIV4 with no sound or a game of FEAR where you can't see any of your enemies?! YAY!

They drop you and drop compatibility just so they might implement things other OSs seem to be able to implement without losing barely any compatibility. HURRAH :macos::tux::bsd:POSIX and FUCK:fu: MICROSOFT!

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #4 on: 3 March 2006, 10:35 »
I still don't understand all this 'vista copied off mac' stuff.

The only thing I've seen is the lighting/highlighting.

OMG They copied how lighting looks in the real world off really shiny surfaces shock horror.

MS have to make Vista look more advanced so they have to add more curves and shiny stuff. I wouldn't think there are many ways you can do that and look nice/clean.

In this day and age there are so many ideas coming out all the time that the ideas come out before the technology is available. So everything is a copy. No matter what MS did there would be a windowsblinds theme that had similarities with the vista theme.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 3 March 2006, 12:49 »
They have copied the metallic look, the effects, that search thingy, etc.

How Microsoft designs seems completely random. They must have hired some people from Theme-XP.org.

inane

« Reply #6 on: 3 March 2006, 16:26 »
Quote from: Pathos

The only thing I've seen is the lighting/highlighting.

OMG They copied how lighting looks in the real world off really shiny surfaces shock horror.

MS have to make Vista look more advanced so they have to add more curves and shiny stuff. I wouldn't think there are many ways you can do that and look nice/clean.

In this day and age there are so many ideas coming out all the time that the ideas come out before the technology is available. So everything is a copy. No matter what MS did there would be a windowsblinds theme that had similarities with the vista theme.

It removes it's head from it's ass... NOW!

Look dude we're BARELY talking about gloss effects and gifs or shiny bullshit. We're talking about general design ideas and how Windows has NEVER innovated. WIDGETS?!? on the desktop?!? An application bar zooming in and out? a search bar on the top left of the fle manager fro christs sake. Ok buddy just go back to PCmagonline NOW...

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #7 on: 3 March 2006, 16:36 »
Quote from: inane
THEY'RE ALL 16 BIT OR LOWER YOU TWATS. Ever try to run a DOS game on XP?

Firstly you can't run anything lower than 16-bit code on an x86 platform (i.e 8-bit stuff) without an emulator.

Secondly, not all DOS software is 16-bit, games released after 1993 or so were mostly 32-bit like DOOM Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, they used a DOS extender which was essentially an add-on to the allow DOS to run 32-bit protected mode code.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #8 on: 3 March 2006, 19:08 »
Quote from: inane
It removes it's head from it's ass... NOW!

Look dude we're BARELY talking about gloss effects and gifs or shiny bullshit. We're talking about general design ideas and how Windows has NEVER innovated. WIDGETS?!? on the desktop?!? An application bar zooming in and out? a search bar on the top left of the fle manager fro christs sake. Ok buddy just go back to PCmagonline NOW...

Don't be a dick.  

Pathos had a difference of opinion.  You had several counterpoints which you could have said without being a jerk.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #9 on: 3 March 2006, 20:15 »
What I don't understand is why people buy into flashy looking desktop effects ... I mean come on, what's the point ? Is anyone (besides you for the first hour of running the thing) gonna say whoah man ... your operating system is awesome ... ohhhh look everything's shiny and neat effects and wow ! Oh look the BSOD ... oh, man, I'm sorry for ya, but hey it's no biggie, just restart, and then you're back to your giant shiny turd OS that can't do shit but special visual effects making you think there's something really behind it all (besides a pile of shit)

Why not instead focus on productivity, stability, logical layout, ease of use ... NO ... people want their special effects and nothing more ... go to the fucking movies !!!

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #10 on: 3 March 2006, 22:27 »

Microsoft has always been copying off Apple. Have you ever seen the origanal windows before 95. 95 was just a stolen look of macintosh. Taking the taskbar and calling it the startmenu putting it at the bottom of the screen then switching it from all the icons from the left to the right.

And this can be proven for the fact billy used to work at mac.

windows whole excistance as said before is a lie. microsoft just picked and stole from other companys mainly apple but... Microsoft dos bill gate never made it. He bought it of another company.

Oh look the BSOD ... oh, man, I'm sorry for ya,

Lol your so right. but for saying the only thing I do with windows now is game I really dont care was it looks like I turn it on open a game and other then opening the game I never see the os looks.
« Last Edit: 3 March 2006, 23:20 by Lead Head »

inane

« Reply #11 on: 3 March 2006, 23:23 »
My biggest problem is that Microsoft refuses to recognize any value in open source, they refuse to take off the gorilla suit and in the end it will hurt them.

They repeatedly freely steal others concepts without giving back, they PATENT everything... they go as far as to patent things they stole. They wait and until the competition they stole from has either died off or is crippled and are willing to forget about the stolen innovation and then M$ patents it.
Sorry Aloone I got ahead of myself but I STILL can't play 32bit DOS games in XP or 2000 even on a FAT32 system they run like SHIT...

PS I am a jerk... my real name is Arsehol Jerk McJerkin:D

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #12 on: 3 March 2006, 23:49 »
Thats why we are in www.microsuck.com :)

I would agree with Apple always being a step ahead of MS in innovation. But I bet a lot of design choices were because MS looked at the options they thought were feasible and realised Apple had already implemented the best one. MS don't have the imagination to look out side the square.

But I see huge similarities between some of the OSS window managers and existing commercial OS's every day. No complains about that because they realise its just the best way to do things. KDE follows windows pretty faithfully with the KDE menu and toolbars (admittably they do a better job).

I will shut now until I've actually tried the latest mac (unlikely :( ) and vista (unlikely ...).

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #13 on: 4 March 2006, 00:10 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Firstly you can't run anything lower than 16-bit code on an x86 platform (i.e 8-bit stuff) without an emulator.

Secondly, not all DOS software is 16-bit, games released after 1993 or so were mostly 32-bit like DOOM Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, they used a DOS extender which was essentially an add-on to the allow DOS to run 32-bit protected mode code.

The 8086, 80286, and the 80386 and friends were all X86 platforms.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #14 on: 4 March 2006, 02:04 »
You know that dumb little skiing game that came with windows 3.11? I downloaded it when I had winXP. I hadn't seen the recompiled 32bit version at the time, so i downloaded the 16 bit version. CPU usage was 100% during use
sig.