Author Topic: Guy upgrades mac mini with 2.16 Core Duo CPU  (Read 1224 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
sig.

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
Re: Guy upgrades mac mini with 2.16 Core Duo CPU
« Reply #1 on: 7 March 2006, 01:13 »
odd the core duo or solo looks nothing like the pentium 4's looks more like a pentium 3. I did some research on these things they have a socket 487. I wonder if you could put a high powered pentium 4 in that runs on this socket. But you will probably need a new case for the fact that the mac mini is so small it would over heat in seconds.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 7 March 2006, 01:15 »
Its a good thing core duos and solos are more like P3, P3 is more operations per clock cycle, a 2.16 core duo is pretty much on par witha 3.4-3.6 Ghz p4
sig.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: 7 March 2006, 06:58 »
Quote from: Lead Head
a 2.16 core duo is pretty much on par witha 3.4-3.6 Ghz p4

More like a 3.4GHz Pentium D (dual core P4).  Even per core, the Core Duo/Core Solo hold their own.

And...the design of it is based on the Pentium M, which is based on the Pentium 3.  (Which is based on the Pentium Pro, but that's another story.)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 7 March 2006, 20:41 »
Quote from: WMD
More like a 3.4GHz Pentium D (dual core P4).  Even per core, the Core Duo/Core Solo hold their own.

And...the design of it is based on the Pentium M, which is based on the Pentium 3.  (Which is based on the Pentium Pro, but that's another story.)

P3 is based on the P2 wich is based on pentium pro
sig.

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2006, 04:42 »
then the older pentium 4s are based on the pentium 3s (the 2.2ghz or lower) just about anything faster is a new design.

I still want to try out using a pentium 4 3.0ghz @1mb cache in that thing but I don't have a mac mini and the firmwall may not support anything other then the intel core.