Author Topic: Ubuntu hates me, part a billion and five  (Read 1694 times)

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Ubuntu hates me, part a billion and five
« on: 9 March 2006, 12:04 »
How the hell do I satisfy a package that has a dependency for an older version of python? I get the feeling that if I uninstall my current 2.4.whatever, I'll be jolly well fucked long before I could get 2.3.whatever installed to make tovid happy.

Is there a way to shut this thing up and give it its older version of python? Or failing that, can anyone recommend another easy way to convert video files to vcd and then burn vcds?
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Ubuntu hates me, part a billion and five
« Reply #1 on: 9 March 2006, 20:16 »
Quote from: Annorax
Or failing that, can anyone recommend another easy way to convert video files to vcd and then burn vcds?

K3B

this works with MPEG right off ... if the videos are in another format try mencoder to convert them ... you might also want to try Kmenc15 a frontend for mencoder since the mencoder commandline is a bitch to use.

P.S. What kind of package ? Or are you trying to build from source ?

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #2 on: 9 March 2006, 23:02 »
tovid requires python > 2.4. Kubuntu Breezy uses 2.4.something. It seems like tovid is what I need to get these damned ~ahem~ videos converted and burned to vcd. Other than removing python, raping my system, and reinstalling the old python, is there another way to get this thing running?

On a lighter note, should I be installing and running a Windows converter under wine/Crossover/Cedega/whatever instead?
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #3 on: 9 March 2006, 23:33 »
I'm pretty sure this can also be handled by a file-out from Mplayer, or transcode, but I don't know what format of source files you're using.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals