Author Topic: Kernel Panic  (Read 1288 times)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Kernel Panic
« on: 11 March 2006, 03:20 »
For only the second time in two years of owning this eMac, I got the grey screen of death, this time trying to dial the internet. That's how bad Bell South's lines suck in south Florida.

The line noise causes hangups all the time, and this time Panther thought it detected hardware failure. The trouble clears up late at night, so I figure BS is just overloading their circuits.

sean

• Kudos: 60
Re: Kernel Panic
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2006, 09:13 »
why don't you join the 21st century and go broadband? :rolleyes:
Sean

iMac G5 20" 2.1ghz iSight
iMac G3 400
Airport Express
iPod 6gb silver

:macos:  :macos:  :macos:

Jack2000

« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2006, 12:37 »
:)
we  have had T1-T3 connection for years :D
we still use PPPoE though...

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2006, 17:45 »
i have hurd of this issue a lot.

It happened to a friend but they were using windows 2000. When they tried to dial up they got the blue screen of death. You should try 2 things a new computer (imac intel duo) or try broadband you will love it when you get it.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2006, 00:25 »
You've gotta be kidding me!  Line noise taking out a kernel?  I would have expected more out of Darwin.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2006, 05:20 »
Somehow I doubt the line noise is really taking out the kernel...at most, it's a bug in the modem driver.

Dialup really sucks anyway.  You can get DSL "Lite" (still like 4x faster) for $25.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2006, 22:23 »
Quote from: sean
why don't you join the 21st century and go broadband? :rolleyes:

That just sounded like a BT Broadband commercial :D

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2006, 04:17 »
Grey screen of death ... never heard of it ...

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2006, 05:31 »
Quote from: WMD
Somehow I doubt the line noise is really taking out the kernel...at most, it's a bug in the modem driver.

**GASP** Impossible! How could this happen when all drivers in UNIX OSs run in userland.

Oh wait...they don't, do they.
:)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2006, 01:10 »
There is less line noise lately. The grey screen hasn't come back. I have a usb to serial adapter and a hardware serial Hayes Accura, as well as a usb Zoom V.90 All had major problems with the line noise. The Hayes was the most stable. Oddly enough, the pc I used to have had a serial software USR modem that didnt care at all, no matter how bad the line got.

There is a new fiber optic line going under the road about 1/2 mile from here, so maybe they have been rerouting traffic to enable the upgrade.

I don't really need dsl speed at home. There are no true discounts for high speed here in south Florida. $21 a month gets unlimited dialup. The low end dsl is about $5 more, until you read the fine print. Going from dial up to dsl "may" require a $200 charge for the modem and a line upgrade. Since I'm only using 2 wires now, a service tech will have to come out to add two more.

If I need to d/l something large, I have two places I can go nearby for that. I just d/l'ed Open Office 2.0 for Mac (130 MB).