Author Topic: KDE on OpenBSD  (Read 1733 times)

_kill__bill

• VIP
  • Kudos: 355
KDE on OpenBSD
« on: 17 March 2006, 21:12 »
OK, I'm having problems with KDE again. I'd give GNOME a try if i could get it...

KDE is absolutely refusing to start up. kdm starts, but doesn't log in properly, not starting the window manager.

Specs: PIII or so, 394mb RAM (known good, a 256 and a 128 from my last laptop), 30gb hard drive.
Running openbsd 3.6, planning to upgrade soon. Its a new machine.

I tried the man pages, info pages and google, got nothing.
Long Live the Revolution!

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: KDE on OpenBSD
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2006, 21:28 »
Remove your ~/.ICEauthority file. I had that problem before. If that doesn't work, I don't have a clue...
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2006, 11:21 »
does it start an xterm instead?

_kill__bill

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2006, 17:55 »
What happens is I log in, enter password, yadda yadda yadda ... nothing. kdm closes, the xterm that i configured (in ~/.xsession) starts, then nothing happens for about ten seconds when kdm starts again. I'll try removing the ~/.ICEauthority, see what happens.

_kill__bill

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2006, 15:37 »
Okay, I tried some stuff, and it got worse.
This is exactly what I do

boot up
enter "sudo kdm"
the terminal switches to X and starts kdm, which takes forever
I log in on kdm
kdm restarts

for now, i'm just using startkde from the console, but i'd like to get this working

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2006, 06:39 »
So ... all of a sudden KDE failed to start up for no apparent reason ? Did you mess with any configs before it happened ... or other important files ? Or did it never work in the first place ?

_kill__bill

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 5 April 2006, 18:15 »
Ok, somehow I fixed it. Turned out it was just one account not working, which was unfortunately my regular user account. I don't know what broke, but I regenerated the config files from scratch and it worked.