Author Topic: I could use a little help.  (Read 1666 times)

shadowchaos

• Kudos: 10
I could use a little help.
« on: 18 March 2006, 19:51 »
Okay, maybe a lot, but still. :x

The people over at the ubuntu forums either don't care, or don't know how, so let's see how it works here.

I can't network OS X to ubuntu and vice versa at all.  (I have a lynkys router and such)

I've tried about every combo I could think of, enabling every port it could possibly use on OS X and firestarter. (I've also tried it without the firewall.) And I keep getting asked for my password to log in. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Screenshot.png

I've tried everything I could think of..any ideas?

This is probably a sign for me to actually learn how to use Linux, but oh well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: I could use a little help.
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2006, 20:08 »
If they're both on the network (i.e. can 'see' (ping) the same router), you should be able to ping eachother.

Is sharing files what you want to do? Probably easier to do that with NFS if there's no Windows systems involved. Setup file sharing on Mac OS X in preferences (has it's own whole little dialog) and setup NFS on Ubuntu, then setup your shares and mount them from the other computers.

If you want Windows computers to be able to join in the fun, NFS won't work. It's too standard for Windows. For that, you would need to use Samba on Ubuntu and Mac OS X.

There's plenty of documentation about NFS and Samba on the web. We're still here if you need help, though.

EDIT: That screenshot was removed... Can you upload it again?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

shadowchaos

« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2006, 20:32 »
Sure thing. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/ChaosMeowth/Screenshot.png

*edit* Yeah, I want to share files. :P

Well, this is pretty much my first time doing this kind of thing, so would you mind pointing me in the right direction to set up NFS and mount the shares on OS X and Ubuntu?

I really don't need to have it windows compatiable, so NFS sounds good to me.

Thanks a lot.

If that link doesn't work,

shadowchaos

« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2006, 21:16 »
Sorry for the double post before hand. >:\

Well, I went ahead and tried to use Samba. (Couldn't find a guide on how to set up NFS.)

I tried using this http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/File_sharing_with_OS_X_using_Ubuntu_5_04

But it seems it doesn't want to work. I've made sure to enable sharing and such on the folder I want to share, but for some reason OS X doesn't want to connect.

(I guess changing the default hostname might have something to do with it?)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2006, 21:28 »
I dunno.. I'd disable any firewalls and look for the Ubuntu shares in the Network folder in Finder. But it's been a while since I used OS X to share files...
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2006, 00:51 »
It seems to me that it's a privilige issue on Ubuntu, but I've not handled shares so I couldn't say how to fix it. :(

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

shadowchaos

« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2006, 18:16 »
Ahh, well I've reformatted and slapped a windows (:|) partition in there, and it seems to work decently with networking.

I think I'll just wait until the next release of ubuntu to try networking with it again, or try out some of these live CDs I have.

Thanks for your help. :P