Author Topic: Can anyone help  (Read 1992 times)

maddogg1952

• Kudos: 10
Can anyone help
« on: 22 March 2006, 13:21 »
purchased used laptop came with windows xp pro (no cds) able to update to point of "genuine windows validation" failed VLK volume license  blocked called and they (microF**K) wants $35.00 before they will let me talk to tech. or $135 to purchase xp. this is BS. by not having this "genuine microsoft software" what will it actually prevent me from doing .?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: Can anyone help
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2006, 13:41 »
The solution is to install Ubuntu Linux.

You can find it at:
http://www.ubuntu.com/

You can either download the CD or order it for free!

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2006, 14:48 »
God, that post made my eyes bleed. Proper grammar, capitalization, and punctuation are your friends.

The XP setup is completely screwed, as the person who installed XP Pro on your laptop didn't have a valid license for it. Microsoft is simply stopping you from updating a stolen copy of Windows. Please don't ask for further help with fixing your Microsoft software.

As Refalm said, the fix is to install Ubuntu Linux. Canonical will mail you install CDs for free, or you can download and burn it yourself. Now isn't free better than $135 plus obscene support charges? ;)
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2006, 16:16 »
Try email I got to email for free a bunch of time once about someone stealing my halo product code and the other about dells product code not working with my windows xp cd.

Do you have a legal windows product code if you do I don't see why it wouldn't be illegal for me to send you my cd then you can burn it.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2006, 16:33 »
Microsoft probably helped you with the stolen Halo key because you paid an absurd amount of cash for the game. The OP didn't pay anything for XP, he just assumed it came with his laptop. Since the original seller didn't have a legitimate OEM license, and didn't buy and include a retail XP package, it correctly stopped working. I see nothing wrong with this, as installing something else prevents Microsoft from gaining more market share.

Sending him your XP CD is illegal and just plain stupid. Microsoft's EULAs bind the OS license to the motherboard, essentially turning Windows into a nontransferable hardware component. That's why they have you put the sticker on your case.

Please do not send him your CD, and do not discuss it further here.... that's another form of software piracy*, and we can't be responsible for or associated with it. If he truly wants to fix his laptop, he knows where to get Ubuntu Linux. :)

*by software piracy in this case, I mean "things that make Microsoft lawyers waste our time with cease and decist emails and shit like that." I'm sure Refalm and ComSense don't want to fuck around with shit like that, so I'm going to put a stop to it here and now.
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....

Xeniczone

« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2006, 17:41 »
i still don't see why it is illegal the cd is useless with out a product code but w/e.

where did you purcuse your laptop and what company? have you asked them for help.

EDIT: stupid me. I had to reread the post. Yeh they guy that installing it on your laptop didn't want to use the product code on that he had so he probably found one on the internet. Then used a method (I will not mention here because it is illegal to do this) to activate windows without calling microsoft the activation code. If your a windows user and don't like linux use the copy you have dont update it or expect any updates from microsoft using that version and then wait till next year jan. and get windows vista.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2006, 17:57 »
Quote from: Xeniczone
If your a windows user and don't like linux use the copy you have dont update it or expect any updates from microsoft using that version and then wait till next year jan. and get windows vista.

GNU/Linux isn't to only alternative to Windows. There's FreeBSD and the rest of the BSDs, BeOS (kinda dead. But there's the alive Zeta too, and soon there'll be a free haiku) and ReactOS (alpha), and Mac OS X (need a Mac) and more (probably not great though).
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2006, 19:18 »
i still don't see why it is illegal the cd is useless with out a product code but w/e.

where did you purcuse your laptop and what company? have you asked them for help.

EDIT: stupid me. I had to reread the post. Yeh they guy that installing it on your laptop didn't want to use the product code on that he had so he probably found one on the internet. Then used a method (I will not mention here because it is illegal to do this) to activate windows without calling microsoft the activation code. If your a windows user and don't like linux use the copy you have dont update it or expect any updates from microsoft using that version and then wait till next year jan. and get windows vista.

Going without updates is a bad idea as well, because those XP things somehow sense changes in their environment and demand to be activated. Since he doesn't have a legit serial, he's pretty much fuckered when it does that. There are only two viable answers to this problem. One costs $135 and assimilates the laptop, the other costs $0 and liberates it. We can only hope he makes the right choice.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2006, 19:23 »
Somehow I feel these people asking for help are not really in need of help. I mean it should be clear by now that the only answer (is answer a english word ... it looks so strange all of a sudden) is to install Linux ... I mean is that too hard to understand/figure out or are people trying to make fun of this ?

Xeniczone

« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2006, 22:10 »
try looking up ReactOS and use that it runs windows applications but is a free os.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2006, 10:56 »
try looking up ReactOS and use that it runs windows applications but is a free os.

Or for a better non-Windows Windows solution, get Ubuntu or Debian Linux, then buy Crossover Office.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2006, 13:47 »
Which is just as non-Windows as the React OS solution Xeniczone proposed.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Annorax

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2006, 13:58 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Which is just as non-Windows as the React OS solution Xeniczone proposed.

True, but as I understand it, Wine and its commercial derivatives have better compatibility with Windows apps than ReactOS does. I'm not sure of this, seeing as I've never actually used ReactOS, but... from what I've heard, Wine and Crossover (and GNU/Linux in general) provide more options than ReactOS does.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2006, 14:02 »
You're right, I didn't read your post properly, I missed the word better.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

delboy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2006, 14:43 »
If you don't know how to search for & find the XP Pro license key generator, then ...............??????????????????