Author Topic: One fucked up EULA  (Read 2442 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
One fucked up EULA
« on: 25 March 2006, 18:00 »
For some reason the forum software wouldn't let me post this so I've attatched it. :mad:

[verwijderd door de beheerder]
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Re: One fucked up EULA
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2006, 18:07 »
I tried to edit that text file into your post. Got your odd-ass error.
I tried to post the contents of that file. Got your odd-ass error.

What the hell is going on???????

EDIT: I can edit, I just can't edit that in? Someone's censoring the forum software? I just don't get this.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2006, 18:39 »
I don't know, maybe Refalm will, but for now I'd like to keep this thread on the topic of the contents of the text file rather than why I can't post it - we can use the other thread for that purpose.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2006, 20:23 »
The following is written by Aloone_Jonez:
I was researching assemblers when I came across MASM32 which isn't anything to do with Microsoft.

http://www.masm32.com/mlicence.htm

This is the only EULA I've found that matches Microsoft's in evilness.

Here are the worst parts:

What you CANNOT do with the MASM32 Project.  
4. You cannot use the MASM32 Project to write software for Non-Microsoft Operating Systems.

What the fuck, if someone runs my program under React OS or WINE then I can be sued?

Exclusion of "open" source projects and software.  
The MASM32 project cannot be used to create open source software or any other project under any form of licence that requires the user of the MASM32 project to surrender the rights they are afforded under the MASM32 licence. In particular the MASM32 licence completely excludes projects licenced under the GNU organisation's published GPL licence and/or variants.

So now you're telling me what licence I should use for my work if I used your tool to create it - go fuck yourself.

The MASM32 Project is true freeware written by programmers for programmers so that they can realise the full power of the Windows Operating System without being subject to any additional conditions or external interests. The project has been designed as enabling technology to extend the capacity and range of programmers interested in learning and writing Microsoft assembler for Microsoft Operating Systems.

Yea right, if this shitware was written by programmers for programmers then decent programmers should understand that programmers should have the right to choose their  own fucking licence and what fucking operating system they use. Go fuck yourselves. :fu:

I found it !!! ... a certain phrase causes it:

of "open" (no quotes)

... how very interesting :D

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2006, 21:43 »
Feck, your right, "of "open" makes it error out
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2006, 22:14 »
Good on you for finding this error, now back on topic please, what do you lot think of this fucked up EULA?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2006, 23:19 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
This is the only EULA I've found that matches Microsoft's in evilness.

Are you kidding?  This thing makes Bill Gates look like Richard Stallman!
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2006, 23:55 »
I agree, even their programming language licences allow the use of open source licences and non-MS operating systems.

The only advantage this has over MS' is it permits redistribution of their software. Personally I'd rather pay to use a programming language and do what I want with my work produced with it.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2006, 16:54 by Aloone_Jonez »

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2006, 00:19 »
Why do you say that?

I disagree, I haven't seen anything in their programming language licences forbidding works created by them to be used under non-MS OSes or the use of open source licences.

The only advantage this has over MS' is it permits redistribution of their software. Personally I'd rather pay to use a programming language and do what I want with my work produced with it.

Just learn C and use gcc or C++ and g++ :P
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2006, 00:30 »
I don't care, MASM is shit anyway, I know NASM which is far superiour and I find assembly far easier than C which is possibly the hardest language to learn.

I'm just having a bitch about ELUAs in general, normally I don't have a problem with the majority of payware and freeware licences but this one just takes the piss.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2006, 04:29 »
Use python ... :fu: M$ ... M$ is completely full of shit, they must be exterminated :cool:

looks like the phrase:

f "open" (no quotes)

also causes the unpostability

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2006, 05:28 »
Why do you say that?

I disagree, I haven't seen anything in their programming language licences forbidding works created by them to be used under non-MS OSes or the use of open source licences.

Ummm...Microsoft lets you use Visual Studio for open source software.  MASM does not.  That makes MS look like they are promoting freedom, hence the RMS comment.  Or are you one of those people who thinks RMS is evil too?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2006, 06:12 »
That kind of error happened to me too when I posted about the OpenBSD problems at http://www.microsuck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10205

Nothing in there that could be censored.  The errored attempts had the words  

of 0penBSD

in it, which makes the forum BARF.  Note that above it I used a zero instead of an "O" to keep it from barfing.

The forums have a serious bug.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2006, 17:01 »
Quote from: WMD
Ummm...Microsoft lets you use Visual Studio for open source software.  MASM does not.  That makes MS look like they are promoting freedom, hence the RMS comment.  Or are you one of those people who thinks RMS is evil too?

Sorry, I agree, I didn't read your post properly so I've edited my response to it.

By the way MASM and MASM32 are made by different people, the former is the Microsoft Assembler and the latter is the MASM32 project a clone of MASM. I wonder if MS could sue for trademark violation, I'd report them but I don't want them to read their EULA and get any ideas. Imagine a world where running OpenOffice and Firefox under Windows is illeagal and so is using Windows software under WINE. :eek:

EULAs carry far too much weight legally speaking and I think the courts should use a bit off common sense when they're concerned but since when have the courts ever had any common sense?

yahurd

• Kudos: 384
  • Hero of Time
    • http://www.yahurd.my-place.us/
« Reply #14 on: 7 January 2007, 02:24 »
f free