Author Topic: OpenOffice live  (Read 1844 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
OpenOffice live
« on: 6 April 2006, 10:15 »
Just as an experiment I copied the OO install directory to a USB stick and ran it on one of the college computers and it worked so I've burned it to CD, now I might add an autorun.inf file to make it pop up when the CD's inserted.

What do you lot think?

I've heard of live Linux but I didn't know live OpenOffice is possible, do you think I should be working on my own distro?

I might beable to put the Linux and Mac versions on the same CD!
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: OpenOffice live
« Reply #1 on: 6 April 2006, 13:01 »
What about copying OOo (the actual directory, not the setup), burning it on CD and running it from there?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 6 April 2006, 13:56 »
That's exactly what I did.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 6 April 2006, 14:32 »
Ah, by install directory, I thought you meant that directory from which you're supposed to install OOo.

But this is pretty awesome stuff. I hate it when I have to use Office on a strange computer.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 6 April 2006, 20:17 »
I assume you mean MS Office, well now you don't have to use it anymore!

I've also copied OOo onto my user area at college (it won't install under a restricted account) - no more MS Office for me!

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #5 on: 6 April 2006, 22:22 »
Hm, that's cool.

http://www.theopencd.org/
You could start your own "live opencd" project, with "live OOo/gaim/firefox" etc. on it. You could try opera too, but you'd need to get permission from them to redistribute it.

In school I have FF installed in my network folder and I can run it on all the computers. So, for just a few MB, you could copy the directory FF is installed to onto the CD. You could get some extensions and stuff in it too...

GAIM I also have installed on my folder on the network in school, but I have to set the library search path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH?) on each computer so it can find the GTK+/etc. libraries.

Programs after installation are usually bigger than the install files, so you mightn't get too much on them.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 6 April 2006, 22:41 »
It appears to be mostly aimed at Windows users:

You can also select whether OpenOffice.org should open Microsoft Office documents by default.

I would aim OOo live at Windows users too, as they're far less likly to be aware of it.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #7 on: 6 April 2006, 23:03 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
It appears to be mostly aimed at Windows users:
Well yes:
The programs run in Windows
It would be cool if you could get all the programs from the opencd to run from a CD. Might need to be a dvd though. Most computers running this software will have DVD-drives anyhow.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #8 on: 7 April 2006, 00:58 »
Cool ... I want a bootable OpenOffice CD ... how do you do it ? Well I suppose there may be problems doing something with the stuff you produce ... how do you print if you're booted into OpenOffice ?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 7 April 2006, 14:45 »
What do you mean by bootable?

For that you'd need to add an OS, Linux would do, just a basic kernel, X and TWM.

Or do you mean one that loads on top of an OS like Windows?

That's exactly what I've created, just add autorun.inf and thre you go.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #10 on: 7 April 2006, 18:44 »
If you have Winternals or BartPE bootable Windows, you should be able to add OO to the disc.

http://www.reatogo.de/  has a screenshot of a bootable XP cd with OO preinstalled, using BartPE

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #11 on: 7 April 2006, 20:35 »
Hmmm ... I dunno I was just thinking they made a bootable nethack ... how does that work ? I suppose you would need an OS to boot it ... so it's probably better to just use a Linux live CD that includes OOo like Knoppix.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #12 on: 8 April 2006, 14:45 »
yes. but most public computers are locked down in the bios so that you can't boot from CD anyway.